Cafe MichelleP
It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: What Would You Do For Internet Fame?
January 29, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Warning: Graphic Topic! (Video NOT included)

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

What would you do for fifteen minutes of Internet fame?
    This past week,15 year old Giovanna Plowman posted a truly disgusting video of                       herself to You Tube, all in the hopes of gaining Internet notoriety.
                 Before you can say feminine hygenie products, the video goes viral
                                               and Giovanna is a YouTube hit.
        I have to wonder if fleeting Internet fame is worth a lifetime of being known as
                   the girl who ate the used tampon or as she is being referred to
                                               on social media,"Tampon Girl".

1. Before today, had you heard about "Tampon Girl"?
  2. Why do you think people are willing to go to extreme lengths to gain internet 'fame' or popularity?
  3.  What is the most extreme thing you or your child have done in the name of popularity?                    

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

Replies

• pampire
    by pampire
    January 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I had, just once, in passing, and thought "ew, gross, I don't wanna know more."

We have placed an inordinate amount of importance and desirability on fame.  We heap massive amounts of attention on celebrities - no matter what they have gained fame for.  Even if it is attention in the form of bashing, it's still attention.  We are so tuned into media that we tend to ignore the people closest to us.  Put those two things together, and you have at least part of the reason ppl are willing to do annything for a piece of the spotlight.

• maryroses
    January 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM

No, this is the first I heard of her.  I will not be looking for her video either.  Yuck.

• .Funfetti.
    January 30, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I rather make a sex tape than suck a tampon. EEK! 

• JTE11
    by JTE11
    January 30, 2013 at 12:11 AM

1. No

2. I think because of the overabundance and availability of media, people spend so much time online that it's starting to replace the real world for some people. Instead of trying to acieive something in real life they want to achieve popularity on the internet because of the attention. And for some people getting attention is more imprtant than anything, even if it's negative attention or for something incredibly stupid such as being "tampon girl". For some troubled people, fame is fame and no price is too steep to get it.

3.I have no idea. I'm very private and I've never done anything that I can think of just for popularity, and my kid is luckily still too young to understand the concept.

• Monkeymama930
    January 30, 2013 at 1:00 AM
    Yuck! Never heard of her but then again we don't watch TV.
    The only thing we every did for "fame" was my son entered the local Halloween contest in town. He won :-) got his pic up at the local businesses. And my husband and I worried about doing that!
  • roxisweetpea
    January 30, 2013 at 3:09 AM

ABSOLUTLY DISGUSTING!!!

Even if it's fake it's still wrong I had seen it posted on facebook which is terrible I do not want to see stuff like that,

I'm not sure why people do this as I think it brigs the wrong time of fame 

• Basherte
    January 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM

I'd like a nice cup of rose hips tea with a little honey, please.

I've never heard of her, but I feel a little sick just reading what she did, never mind actually watching it.

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    January 30, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    I just don't get what goes through these kids heads! Please make it a nice hot chocolate today!
  • Cafe MichelleP
    January 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Rose hip with honey coming right up!

Quoting Basherte:

I'd like a nice cup of rose hips tea with a little honey, please.

I've never heard of her, but I feel a little sick just reading what she did, never mind actually watching it.

• Cafe MichelleP
    January 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Here you go!

Quoting Pammi86:

I just don't get what goes through these kids heads! Please make it a nice hot chocolate today!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN