Warning: Graphic Topic! (Video NOT included)
Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!
What would you do for fifteen minutes of Internet fame?
This past week,15 year old Giovanna Plowman posted a truly disgusting video of herself to You Tube, all in the hopes of gaining Internet notoriety.
Before you can say feminine hygenie products, the video goes viral
and Giovanna is a YouTube hit.
I have to wonder if fleeting Internet fame is worth a lifetime of being known as
the girl who ate the used tampon or as she is being referred to
on social media,"Tampon Girl".
- Before today, had you heard about "Tampon Girl"?
- Why do you think people are willing to go to extreme lengths to gain internet 'fame' or popularity?
- What is the most extreme thing you or your child have done in the name of popularity?
While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!
And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:
- R.I.P Hailey Petee...Stop the bullying
- Favorite Romance Movie???
- Did anyone else have an interesting pregnancy stories
- Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...
by pampireJanuary 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I had, just once, in passing, and thought "ew, gross, I don't wanna know more."
We have placed an inordinate amount of importance and desirability on fame. We heap massive amounts of attention on celebrities - no matter what they have gained fame for. Even if it is attention in the form of bashing, it's still attention. We are so tuned into media that we tend to ignore the people closest to us. Put those two things together, and you have at least part of the reason ppl are willing to do annything for a piece of the spotlight.
by maryrosesJanuary 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
No, this is the first I heard of her. I will not be looking for her video either. Yuck.
by .Funfetti.January 30, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I rather make a sex tape than suck a tampon. EEK!
2. I think because of the overabundance and availability of media, people spend so much time online that it's starting to replace the real world for some people. Instead of trying to acieive something in real life they want to achieve popularity on the internet because of the attention. And for some people getting attention is more imprtant than anything, even if it's negative attention or for something incredibly stupid such as being "tampon girl". For some troubled people, fame is fame and no price is too steep to get it.
3.I have no idea. I'm very private and I've never done anything that I can think of just for popularity, and my kid is luckily still too young to understand the concept.
January 30, 2013 at 1:00 AMYuck! Never heard of her but then again we don't watch TV.
The only thing we every did for "fame" was my son entered the local Halloween contest in town. He won :-) got his pic up at the local businesses. And my husband and I worried about doing that!
by roxisweetpeaJanuary 30, 2013 at 3:09 AM
Even if it's fake it's still wrong I had seen it posted on facebook which is terrible I do not want to see stuff like that,
I'm not sure why people do this as I think it brigs the wrong time of fame
by Pammi86January 30, 2013 at 10:07 AMI just don't get what goes through these kids heads! Please make it a nice hot chocolate today!