Cafe MichelleP
Does or Did Your Child Have a Boyfriend or Girlfriend in First Grade?
January 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM

My 6-Year-Old Has a Girlfriend & I'm SO Not Ready for Her

Posted by Mary Fischer

boy in hat and sunglassesLast week, I had one of those moments in parenthood that pretty much every mom absolutely dreads. Yep, my 6-year-old son came home from school with a small piece of paper in his pocket, and lo and behold -- it had a little girl's name on it, along with her phone number.

And at first, I had to laugh a little, because he looked so darn precious when he handed me that piece of paper and told me that (we'll call her Sally) had given him her digits. I figured he'd probably forget all about Sally and her phone number by the next day -- but then the next morning, my heart sunk a little after he did the unthinkable.

Yep, he asked me to write his phone number down on a little piece of paper so he could take it to school and pass it on to Sally, you know, so they can both call each other whenever they feel like it. (Cue the feelings of sheer panic.)

And that's when I realized that my baby boy does, indeed, have his first girlfriend. Even though she really is a nice little girl, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I mean, isn't it way too early for this sort of thing? I vaguely remember having a crush on a boy when I was about his age, but I know for certain that we weren't to the point of calling each other on the phone.

No, I'm not entirely stupid, and I realize there's a chance that my little dude and Sally are just good buddies who want to chit-chat once in a while, but still. He doesn't call any of his other friends on the phone yet, so there must be some sort of puppy love going on with this little girl, right?

I know, I know -- I'm totally overreacting and whatever is going on between little dude and Sally is perfectly innocent and not worth getting all excited about. (At least he's outgoing?)

I guess I'm just not quite ready for Sally to be in the picture quite yet, that's all. (Translation -- I was hoping to remain his one and only love for at least another year or two.)

Does or did your son or daughter have a boyfriend or girlfriend in first grade?

Replies

• MistressMinerva
    January 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I don't recall my daughter having one. My grandson who is 6 has several....lol but he or them have not exchanged phone numbers yet.

• Emiliush
    January 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM

haha my brother. he's seven now. last year he had this girlfriend. well bestfriend. they were toghet ever since they were four. soo cute!!! they give each other gifts and all. ughhh!! young love! whenever i mocked him about it.. he was like "she's not my girlfriend, shes my bestfriend!" too bad this year they arent in the same class. :(

• delanna6two
    January 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Not now, they had their special friends they liked though...

• Janet
    by Janet
    January 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM

My one son had a girl call him when he was in first grade. But nothing came of it. He never called her.

• goddess99
    January 28, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I don't think so but I'm not sure. We've been dealing with puppy love for years and she's only in the 4th grade.

• SlapItHigh
    January 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    No, I don't think so.
  • splatz
    by splatz
    January 28, 2013 at 10:01 PM

My son has had a "girlfriend" last year in kindergarten. Sadly they are not still in the same class this year. They exchanged #s but were always too shy to actually call eachother. I thought it was cute. He told me she was "the one" haha.  I think they still have a crush on eachother this year. But I guess its not quite the same when they aren't together all the time lol. 

• momof3girls9250
    January 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM

LOL, I don't recall either of my girls having a boy friend in the 1st grade.. I know my middle daugther who is 11 had a small crush on a young boy in kindergarten but nothing really happened with it.. 

• BLHSWH2012
    January 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM

My stepson, and my neice (NOT Related) Say they are boyfriend and girlfriend, she is always calling him and talking, and then when I come over with out him she is always asking "Were is my boyfriend"

• thecoffeefairy
    January 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    My son held hands with a cute girl from his kindergarten class. He's 13 now and no "real" girlfriend. I would not worry about it. This too shall pass.