Cafe MichelleP
Does or Did Your Child Have a Boyfriend or Girlfriend in First Grade?
January 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM

My 6-Year-Old Has a Girlfriend & I'm SO Not Ready for Her

Posted by Mary Fischer

boy in hat and sunglassesLast week, I had one of those moments in parenthood that pretty much every mom absolutely dreads. Yep, my 6-year-old son came home from school with a small piece of paper in his pocket, and lo and behold -- it had a little girl's name on it, along with her phone number.

And at first, I had to laugh a little, because he looked so darn precious when he handed me that piece of paper and told me that (we'll call her Sally) had given him her digits. I figured he'd probably forget all about Sally and her phone number by the next day -- but then the next morning, my heart sunk a little after he did the unthinkable.

Yep, he asked me to write his phone number down on a little piece of paper so he could take it to school and pass it on to Sally, you know, so they can both call each other whenever they feel like it. (Cue the feelings of sheer panic.)

And that's when I realized that my baby boy does, indeed, have his first girlfriend. Even though she really is a nice little girl, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I mean, isn't it way too early for this sort of thing? I vaguely remember having a crush on a boy when I was about his age, but I know for certain that we weren't to the point of calling each other on the phone.

No, I'm not entirely stupid, and I realize there's a chance that my little dude and Sally are just good buddies who want to chit-chat once in a while, but still. He doesn't call any of his other friends on the phone yet, so there must be some sort of puppy love going on with this little girl, right?

I know, I know -- I'm totally overreacting and whatever is going on between little dude and Sally is perfectly innocent and not worth getting all excited about. (At least he's outgoing?)

I guess I'm just not quite ready for Sally to be in the picture quite yet, that's all. (Translation -- I was hoping to remain his one and only love for at least another year or two.)

Does or did your son or daughter have a boyfriend or girlfriend in first grade?

Replies

• yinchi05
    January 29, 2013 at 8:51 PM

My son had a girlfriend in first grade and one in forth grade.the first one was in pre-k and he had play dates and even spent the night at her house. He developed a great friendship with these little girls. I found it harmless since they just spend lots of time together and had lots of fun. No kissing games or anything offensive and it never lead to anything other than a sweet thing for mom to talk about when he gets older.

• stephanierae223
    January 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM

My little man is also in 1st grade, and he has had a few in the past 2 yrs. The last one he lost to another little boy ( they played a game of football and whoever won was her boyfriend) he still talks about her. Just tonight he came to me and told me to watch that he had a new dance and that was going to win her back. I am so not ready for all this, he's my baby. I'm supposed to be his main love right now.

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    January 30, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    My dd is not even two but I work with 1st graders and I always hear bf/gf stories! Usually its harmless!