Cafe AmyS
Do you kiss your baby on the mouth?
January 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I Kiss My Baby on the Mouth & I Love It

Posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber on January 24, 2013 

baby kiss

I kiss my baby on the mouth and I love it. Love it, love it, love it. I started doing it minutes after my daughter was born, and nine months later, when she's teething and drooly, our make-out sessions are still going strong.

In all honesty, I thought this was something all moms did. Until I did it in front of a friend the other day, and she went: "Oh, you do that?"

"What?" I laughed. "Mouth-kiss my baby?"

"Yeah," she said giggly and disgusted. "I'm not really into that."

"I always do it," I said, karate-chopping a line of drool.

A third mom-friend who was there chimed in, "Oh, I do it, too."

But our one friend wasn't having it. So, clearly all moms aren't mouth-kissers.

My husband has never been a huge fan of planting kisses on our daughter's lips. "Do it," I sometimes tell him. "It feels so good." He'll give her a sweet little peck on her tiny baby kisser, but it's clear he's more into cheek, head, and tummy smooches.

So, what is it? It's not just a dude thing if other moms aren't into it. Personally, I think it's sweet. In fact, it's my very favorite place to kiss my baby. She's even now taken to "giving kisses back", AKA she opens her mouth up wide when I say, "Give mama a kiss" in a high-pitched squeal.

The thing is, I know there will come a time when my daughter isn't as enthusiastic or delighted to kiss me as she is now. There will come a time when mouth-kisses definitely aren't welcomed, and in fact, they'll be weird. That time is very far off, but I'm dreading it. So, I don't know, maybe I'm trying to get as much out of her babyhood as I possibly can. Maybe I want to be as close as humanly possibly right now. Maybe I want to do things that only a mama can/is willing to do to, in some odd way, express my love.

Or maybe I'm just gross.

Do you kiss your baby on the mouth?

Replies

• girlfriendcj70
    January 28, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I sure do.They are 15,13, 5, and 4.I also kiss my mom on the lips

• excitedmama2013
    January 28, 2013 at 12:07 AM

i was always curious if i would with my baby, im now expecting my first and decided thats not for me. but i dont judge other mama's that do. everyone's different :)