Featured Posts
nightowl.poet
OCD!!!!
January 24, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Anyone have OCD?

I have OCD and I don't want my Daughter to follow in her mothers foot steps on this.  I have had OCD since I was 2 yrs old.  It's not something easy to deal with when you have a one year old.  I have noticed that after my daughter eats something messy like raviolis, she has it every where which is normal we are working with the fork. I clean her up like normal but she wants me to pick her up and I can't till I clean her hands off first. I know this might sound very mean to other moms, but I don't know how to fix this with out it effecting her.

Replies

• DixieFlower
    January 28, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I always clean my sons hands if they are messy. I think that's a bit common.

• thecoffeefairy
    January 28, 2013 at 10:52 PM
    I don't have OCD and would never pick up my kids until I've cleaned their hands and faces if at all possible. Your rather being hard on yourself. My kids are teenagers and well adjusted and smart. No OCD issues.
  • Reankanesmom
    January 29, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I was dxed with this years ago and my mom was to when she was younger. I notice my son doing some of the things I do as in how perticular things have to be and if they are not he cannot focus on anything else. Mine so much isn't about cleaning(well it is) but things have to be done in even numbers for me. If I see stuff that is not straight on a wall I will fix it, items that have labels need to be facing me. I started taking some medications that have helped a great deal and seeing a therapist.

• MotherOF5Cuties
    January 29, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    How does a compulsive behavior act? Jw

But for my ocd prozac help, well it helped when i was taking it.. my ocd list toes ob and on like same thing for me washing my hands like hundred times a day, when i get ready to leave the house i check the stove to make sure everything us off I'll go up to the stove like a few times even tho i know its off , make sure the doors are locked so againg i check it i get in the car i get out again and i do that over a few times and also do this when i get ready for bed.if i scratch like my hand or something I HAVE TO scratch the other hand BC that would bother me if i don't and that goes for my foot or leg lol.i would rewash a glass before i use it and when someone comes over and uses the bathroom and i would stair at their hands to see if they washed them or not and my mind would be there did they wash or not lol and when they would leave i would wipe everything they touched LOL .. really tho my list is to long to type in here LOL but the list goes on and on

Quoting apixieprincess:

Zoloft really helped my ocd and compulsive behavior, and counseling.

I didn't want it to effect my kids either, so I got some help.  I used to vacuum every time someone or something messed up my lines.  I would scrub my tubs 4 or 5 times a day, wipe down my sinks and doorknobs multiple times a day, wash my hands repetitively.  Now I clean like a normal person and only was my hands once instead of multiple times in a row.

If you are OCD get some help, it makes life better.

• Islandmom2boys
    January 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I have OCD, but I actually don't mind having it. My 4 year old son also has it, he's is actually getting to be more obsessive than mine.

• PregowithOCD
    January 29, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I have had OCD as far back as I can remember. One of my symptoms is cleanliness. I have tried behavorial therapy which has worked up until I became pregnant and now my OCD is in full force but I still recommend it to anyone with OCD. What my therapist would tell me is to pick up my child and sit with the anxiety, you really do start to realize you can handle it and it is not as big a deal as you thought. My therapy started out with little things though, something that I could handle on my own and I had my therapist there to walk me through every step I took at first. You can try picking up your daughter when someone is there to help you through it, that way if it gets to overwhelming someone can take her for you. OR can you start with something smaller? Maybe don't wipe the table right away after she eats, leave it sit for a couple of minutes and then clean up.

• Mrsfarr
    by Mrsfarr
    January 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    Then you don't actually have OCD.

Quoting MistressMinerva:

I only have OCD at work.

• Mrsfarr
    by Mrsfarr
    January 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM
    This doesn't sound like OCD. This sounds like normal mom behavior.
  • PregowithOCD
    January 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM

The difference between normal mom behavior and a mom with OCD is the panic an OCD mom will feel because something is out of place or her daughter's hands are not clean and she wants her to hold her. A normal mom can pick up her child regardless of whatever mess she is, yes, she wants her hands cleaned first, but she can still pick her up, an OCD mom will suffer great anxiety because of it, sometimes you just feel crippled and all you want to do is pick up your child messy hands or not which can make the anxiety worse.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

• Mrsfarr
    by Mrsfarr
    January 29, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    I'm well aware of the difference, thanks.
    Until your reply though, no one mentioned anything about panic or anxiety. Just wiping off hands before picking up a child. Normal mom behavior.

Quoting PregowithOCD:

The difference between normal mom behavior and a mom with OCD is the panic an OCD mom will feel because something is out of place or her daughter's hands are not clean and she wants her to hold her. A normal mom can pick up her child regardless of whatever mess she is, yes, she wants her hands cleaned first, but she can still pick her up, an OCD mom will suffer great anxiety because of it, sometimes you just feel crippled and all you want to do is pick up your child messy hands or not which can make the anxiety worse.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN