Featured Posts
samie3711
Potty Training Tricks
January 20, 2013 at 11:26 PM

so my son will be two in march and a lot of people have told me that i should wait but my son is showing signs of being interested. i have been having him sit down on the potty because my SO wont really help and i cant stand and pee, i have been doing the cheer and give stickers but i was wondering if any one had any tricks to help ?

Replies

• Pessema
    by Pessema
    January 20, 2013 at 11:38 PM

First of all anyone who tells you to wait is a moron. Secondly a cool potty like lightning mcqueen from cars. Give him a gummy bear or a skittle when he uses the potty. After a couple of weeks of teaching him pop him or put him in the corner when he potties in his diaper (except at night of course). Also the dvd potty training for him. 

• samie3711
    January 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM

that is potty chair he has and i didnt know they made a dvd thank you

Quoting Pessema:

First of all anyone who tells you to wait is a moron. Secondly a cool potty like lightning mcqueen from cars. Give him a gummy bear or a skittle when he uses the potty. After a couple of weeks of teaching him pop him or put him in the corner when he hin his diaper (except at night of course). Also the dvd potty training for him. 

• Pessema
    by Pessema
    January 20, 2013 at 11:46 PM

you're welcome. If you have a pines library near you they should have it, if not they can have it sent to your branch for you to pick up.

• delanna6two
    January 21, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Just keep working with him...it will come....

• splatz
    by splatz
    January 22, 2013 at 1:52 AM
    Punishment is not the right way to go about potty training. Especially if he is that young...

Quoting Pessema:

First of all anyone who tells you to wait is a moron. Secondly a cool potty like lightning mcqueen from cars. Give him a gummy bear or a skittle when he uses the potty. After a couple of weeks of teaching him pop him or put him in the corner when he potties in his diaper (except at night of course). Also the dvd potty training for him. 

• crazedmama06
    January 22, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Quoting splatz:

Punishment is not the right way to go about potty training. Especially if he is that young...

Quoting Pessema:

I agree. Never punish. It can cause them to become scared of going to the bathroom and become ashamed. Always do it in a "uh oh! Look we need to sit on the potty remember!!" and sit on potty then clean. We didn't do pullups because to me they were just like diapers. We did the thick training pants. All were trained by 2. My youngest is 20 months and is starting to act very interested so he goes to the bathroom any time I do and sits on his potty across from me. They usually start sitting down and then later learn to stand. The boys usually started to stand around 6 months after being trained. At that point we used cheerios for them to understand how to point. :) 

• KsenijaR
    January 22, 2013 at 4:49 AM

My one and only trick was simply to get rid of diapers during the day time once and for all. One day I just told my daughter that she's now too old to use diapers and has to use her potty. I explained when to sit on the potty etc... and the first 4 days she was doing pee in her pants. :) Each time when her pants got wet we went to the bathroom and I was going through all the expalanations again. On day 5 she had several successes. After few more days she got used to her potty completely and we started to use diapers only by night. Sure she had some wet pants from time to time, but not too often.  

• madwifa
    by madwifa
    January 22, 2013 at 6:28 AM

for a boy throw a small piece of tiolet paper and tell him to aim to hit it when he pees. it is fun and might help.

I would also wait till spring or summer then be outside more take the pull ups off and use just underwear he will enjoy peeing on a tree. lol this makes ppl crazy but it is fun for kids.

be patient it will come. you don't have to be on any time schedule all kids are different.

my dd did herself one day at 18 months but my son hated the idea he was later i think 2 1/2, my gb was 2 1/2 she just liked the diapers.

And she loved the pull ups with the princesses on them she begged for them so they went away then she got it but wanted new panties every time she went potty.

• Janet
    by Janet
    January 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Quoting delanna6two:

Just keep working with him...it will come....

• SlapItHigh
    January 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Avoid the stickers or other bribes and just allow the process to unfold naturally.  Better for all involved and less chance of regressions.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts