Featured Posts
goddess99
Using Vicks... Help
January 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM

My 10 yr old dd has a bad cold and I'm thinking about putting Vicks on the bottom of her feet but I'm not sure what this is supposed to do. Does it help with a runny nose, cough, ...???  I've read about it several times but it's just that parents do it, not why they do it.

Replies

• delanna6two
    January 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I use Vicks....my youngest loves it when she has colds....I put it on the chest, back, or neck....I've never tried/heard about the feet.

• Missy5326
    January 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    Yes it helps you need to put socks on her feet. Do that when she goes to bed she will wake up feeling much better.
  • SP_Mama
    by SP_Mama
    January 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Okay, that was supposed to say Vicks.  I guess my Kindle Fire didn't like that word.  *L*

Quoting goddess99:

Thank you.

Quoting SP_Mama:

When DS has a cough we put Vicksburg on his chest and his feet and it seems to help. I was skeptical to try it because I can't fathom why it would work. It works for DS though so we keep doing it.

• JTE11
    by JTE11
    January 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I have never been able to get a satisfactory answer on how this actually is supposed to physically work so I just buy baby Vicks and put it on her chest before bed. It's not as strong as the regular stuff and it seems to help her breathe. I have read that if someone has a bad cough and you put Vicks generously on the feet and put socks over it, it will stop the coughing. I'm not sure how it works but I haven't heard anything about it doing anything for nasal congestion or runny nose.

• OliviasMommy611
    January 19, 2013 at 12:04 AM
    Why the feet ? I thought it was the chest?
  • goddess99
    January 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM

The baby vicks is a good idea. Thank you.

Quoting JTE11:

I have never been able to get a satisfactory answer on how this actually is supposed to physically work so I just buy baby Vicks and put it on her chest before bed. It's not as strong as the regular stuff and it seems to help her breathe. I have read that if someone has a bad cough and you put Vicks generously on the feet and put socks over it, it will stop the coughing. I'm not sure how it works but I haven't heard anything about it doing anything for nasal congestion or runny nose.

• goddess99
    January 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM

It is. I was wondering why so many parents put it on the feet.

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Why the feet ? I thought it was the chest?

• Spoiled_Blonde
    January 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM

It will keep her from coughing. It works amazing! It's the only thing I use on my kids when they have a cough, then I don't have to give them that gross cough syrup! =)

• JTE11
    by JTE11
    January 19, 2013 at 12:32 AM

You're welcome :) The feet thing always seemed a bit too hocusy-pocusy for me!

• goddess99
    January 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Good point. Thank you.

Quoting Spoiled_Blonde:

It will keep her from coughing. It works amazing! It's the only thing I use on my kids when they have a cough, then I don't have to give them that gross cough syrup! =)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN