Featured Posts
goddess99
Using Vicks... Help
January 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM

My 10 yr old dd has a bad cold and I'm thinking about putting Vicks on the bottom of her feet but I'm not sure what this is supposed to do. Does it help with a runny nose, cough, ...???  I've read about it several times but it's just that parents do it, not why they do it.

Replies

• delanna6two
    January 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I use Vicks....my youngest loves it when she has colds....I put it on the chest, back, or neck....I've never tried/heard about the feet.

• Missy5326
    January 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    Yes it helps you need to put socks on her feet. Do that when she goes to bed she will wake up feeling much better.
  • SP_Mama
    by SP_Mama
    January 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Okay, that was supposed to say Vicks.  I guess my Kindle Fire didn't like that word.  *L*

Quoting goddess99:

Thank you.

Quoting SP_Mama:

When DS has a cough we put Vicksburg on his chest and his feet and it seems to help. I was skeptical to try it because I can't fathom why it would work. It works for DS though so we keep doing it.

• JTE11
    by JTE11
    January 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I have never been able to get a satisfactory answer on how this actually is supposed to physically work so I just buy baby Vicks and put it on her chest before bed. It's not as strong as the regular stuff and it seems to help her breathe. I have read that if someone has a bad cough and you put Vicks generously on the feet and put socks over it, it will stop the coughing. I'm not sure how it works but I haven't heard anything about it doing anything for nasal congestion or runny nose.

• OliviasMommy611
    January 19, 2013 at 12:04 AM
    Why the feet ? I thought it was the chest?
  • goddess99
    January 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM

The baby vicks is a good idea. Thank you.

Quoting JTE11:

I have never been able to get a satisfactory answer on how this actually is supposed to physically work so I just buy baby Vicks and put it on her chest before bed. It's not as strong as the regular stuff and it seems to help her breathe. I have read that if someone has a bad cough and you put Vicks generously on the feet and put socks over it, it will stop the coughing. I'm not sure how it works but I haven't heard anything about it doing anything for nasal congestion or runny nose.

• goddess99
    January 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM

It is. I was wondering why so many parents put it on the feet.

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Why the feet ? I thought it was the chest?

• Spoiled_Blonde
    January 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM

It will keep her from coughing. It works amazing! It's the only thing I use on my kids when they have a cough, then I don't have to give them that gross cough syrup! =)

• JTE11
    by JTE11
    January 19, 2013 at 12:32 AM

You're welcome :) The feet thing always seemed a bit too hocusy-pocusy for me!

• goddess99
    January 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Good point. Thank you.

Quoting Spoiled_Blonde:

It will keep her from coughing. It works amazing! It's the only thing I use on my kids when they have a cough, then I don't have to give them that gross cough syrup! =)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts