Erikamacho
Staying home????
January 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM
I am currently on FMLA from my teaching position and I now have to come to a decision if I should return to work or stay home. Currently I believe that the best decision is for me to stay home with my 3 girls ages 3, 15 months and 3 months. Have any of you had to make this decision? How did you cope with it and what made you decide to stay home? Any advice???? PLEASE

Replies

• Reina13
    by Reina13
    January 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Hi. Several years ago, I had to make the same decision when my youngest son who has special needs was born. I needed to do what was best for my child and having him in daycare was not an option. We had to really buckle down budget wise but we were able to do it. Best decision I ever made. I went back to work about a year ago when he turned 7 and is in school full time.

• goddess99
    January 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I decided to be a SAHM when my dd was around 2. I was just missing too much stuff being stuck at work and that money just wasn't worth it.

• lavender909
    January 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Hi Erika,

I have two boys ages 12 and 10 now.  The best decision I made was when I decided to stay home and give them my time, be there for them and not shuttle them off somewhere else, where I would worry about them all day and miss them to pieces.  I would have been miserable.  To this day, it shows in who they are.  Great little guys!  I got to spend time with them!  When they are older and out of the house, and I will miss them, but at least I know that I got to spend the most important years of their lives with them

Now they are older, yes, but they have so many activities and I still want to see all their soccer games, I want to be the one that brings them to school and picks them up, I want to be there for them after school....etc.....it's so important.  If you can stay home with your little ones, it is so worth it!

Now I found something where I can work from home, make some extra income, and still be there for them!

I love it and now I help other mom's in that same position!

• TheLadyAmalthea
    January 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I am a sahm because it is just what makes sense for our family. My 5 year old son has autism, so I cannot trust him to just any daycare or babysitter when he is out of school. I also have a 3 year old daughter. If I were to have a job, it would pay just enough to pay for daycare, so it makes sense for me to stay home. 

• amonkeymom
    January 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Sure... I made that decision when my daughter (15 now) was a baby.  It was hard, but we decided that I'd stay home with her for several reasons, not the first of which was that financially it didn't make a lot of sense for me to return to work and spend all of my paycheck on gas/vehicle maintenance and daycare.

Quoting Erikamacho:

I am currently on FMLA from my teaching position and I now have to come to a decision if I should return to work or stay home. Currently I believe that the best decision is for me to stay home with my 3 girls ages 3, 15 months and 3 months. Have any of you had to make this decision? How did you cope with it and what made you decide to stay home? Any advice???? PLEASE

• Jkherndon
    January 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    Hi! I'm a former teacher (11 years) and didn't go back! I had saved enough days to get paid for the full 12 weeks then resigned. Don't think I could have given my baby what he needed if I had to deal with teaching and all the work I previously did at home,and the stress from running a classroom and meeting ever changing demands from administration. Now I'm a much happier person:) good lock
  • Jkherndon
    January 16, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    Hi! I'm a former teacher (11 years) and didn't go back! I had saved enough days to get paid for the full 12 weeks then resigned. Don't think I could have given my baby what he needed if I had to deal with teaching and all the work I previously did at home,and the stress from running a classroom and meeting ever changing demands from administration. Now I'm a much happier person:) good lock
  • MamaMoopsie
    January 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I'm a big advocate of SAHM's but it is a huge decision for a lot of people. For me a lot of things factored into my choice...the biggest was that I'd had a couple bad run ins with different day cares in our area from feeding my child foods that I hadn't okayed due to severe food allergies in the family and she was just being introduced to solids and I wanted to be the one to introduce those foods so I could watch for the reactions---so when she had a severe reaction they just said she "spits up" a lot, where as she was actually vomitting everything for 24hours after being given squash. Another time I walked into a different day care to find one of the teachers holding a 4 month old infant and screaming in his face "WHAT DO YOU WANT!?!?!" He wasn't even my child, but this woman was supposed to be taking care of my child, too!

So when we decided that I should stay home with our young children, we made the decision to cut back on a lot of things to make it work financially. Date night? Once a month instead of weekly. Certain foods we really liked? No longer necessary because fresh crab costs too much. No cable (Netflix is so much cheaper). Cell phones? We both switched to using less minutes and stuck to that really well.

My best advice is to look at your bills and figure out if you can afford to be a one income family and if things are going to be a little tight how can you trim down the budget? Can you negotiate lower payments with your credit card company? Can you do without some things?

The best thing I was told was that you can always go back to work once your kids are all in school. That made me feel a lot better.

• Erikamacho
    January 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    Thank you all for your advice!!! :)
  • Janet
    by Janet
    January 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I have always been a SAHM.