Featured Posts
MamaMoopsie
Would you take your 1 year old to the doctor for this? *Quick update*
January 14, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I called the doctor and they didn't have any openings tomorrow or the next day but since we got a lot of snow last night they had a lot of cancellations for today so I went ahead and took her in and she has bronchitis, doctor prescribed nebulizer treatments and tylenol/motrin. Not much fun, but definitely feel better for having taken her in.

My daughter has a sore throat and it hasn't gotten any better in four days. She's miserable. I've been giving her warm water and a little bit of honey in the water and that seems to help for a little bit most of the time, but last night she was in a lot of pain and I gave her baby tylenol for that and it really didn't help. She was up most of the night crying. I thought it might be strep throat, but I don't see the pus pockets in the back of her throat. Is it possible to have strep without the pus pockets? Her breathing is raspy but it doesn't seem like a lung rasp, it sounds like it's just in her throat.

I don't want to take her in and be told there's nothing they can do, but it doesn't seem to be getting better on its own. Your thoughts?

Replies

• chattycassie
    January 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

If it dosent get better in a week I take my kids in. Does she have a fever or anything other than a sore throat?

• MamaMoopsie
    January 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Yes, she's had a low grade fever (99-101.2) but tylenol helps bring it down. Her nose started running last night part way through the night but I couldn't tell if it was just from crying so much or if it's another symptom. It's dry this morning, not stuffed up or anything.

Quoting chattycassie:

If it dosent get better in a week I take my kids in. Does she have a fever or anything other than a sore throat?

• chattycassie
    January 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM

If she has only a low grade temp and she is able to hold down fluids I would hold off if not getting better after a week or if symptoms change or get worse take her in. IMO :) good luck

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

Yes, she's had a low grade fever (99-101.2) but tylenol helps bring it down. Her nose started running last night part way through the night but I couldn't tell if it was just from crying so much or if it's another symptom. It's dry this morning, not stuffed up or anything.

Quoting chattycassie:

• goddess99
    January 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Since it hurts so bad she's crying, I would take her today.

• grneyedormom
    January 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    I would take her in, especially after 4 days with no change. Or at least call and speak with the triage nurse to see what they think. Strep can manifest itself without all typical symptoms. Hope she feels better very soon!
  • delanna6two
    January 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I would check at the drs....

• DixieFlower
    January 14, 2013 at 6:06 PM

If it hasn't gotten worse and her fever lowers with Tylenol I'd wait a few more days. My general rule is if they get worse or the symptoms remain for more than a week I call the doctor and see what they say.

• Mrs.Bolin
    January 14, 2013 at 7:32 PM

keep a cool mist humidifier going and put vicks on her chest. popcycles and water. If there is no change by tomorrow or the next day then i would take her to the doc. Could be a infection of some kind since its lingering. This dry cold air is getting the best of all of us

• Rosies50
    January 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM

It would be worth my piece of mind and her pain to take her in as soon as possible regardless of the Tylenol. A fever is telling you something is wrong. When my kids have a fever I try and let it do it's job unless it gets over 102 then I give them a 1/2 dose of motrin just to keep it stable.

• auntangelofsix
    January 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    I agree

Quoting delanna6two:

I would check at the drs....

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts