JenniferMiller0
Don't tell me how to feed MY baby!!!!!!!
January 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM

So, I've heard all this bad stuff about baby cereal and oatmeal. I even made a post in group asking a question but no one answered my question because they were so intent upon tell me how bad feeding my baby oatmeal was and that I should do "baby led solids" and completly skip baby food all together. I did research it and decided that "bab led solids" just wasn't for me...especially seeing as how we get FREE baby food through my WIC. Why let all that food go to waste? I understand that people have opinions but someone could have at least answered my question before telling me what to feed MY baby. >.>

Replies

• smac28
    by smac28
    January 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM

lol everyone is an expert, do what you think is right. Dont let some people you dont know from the internet bother you. 

• KylersMom8-16-7
    January 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    I'll answer for you:-)

Babies can’t digest it.

In order to digest grains, your body needs to make use of an enzyme called amylase. Amylase is the enzyme responsible for splitting starches. And, guess what? Babies don’t make amylase in large enough quantities to digest grains until after they are a year old at the earliest. Sometimes it can take up to two years. You see, newborns don’t produce amylase at all. Salivary amylase makes a small appearance at about 6 months old, but pancreatic amylase (what you need to actually digest grains) is not produced until molar teeth are fully developed! First molars usually don’t show up until 13-19 months old, on average.

Undigested grains wreak havoc on your baby’s intestinal lining. It can throw off the balance of bacteria in their gut and lead to lots of complications as they age including: food allergies, behavioral problems, mood issues, and more.

What does this mean? Don’t feed your baby grains (or even highly starchy foods), until all of their first molars have emerged. This means no rice cereals, no Cheerios, no Goldfish, no oatmeal, no infant crackers. It means that when you sit down with them at a restaurant, you shouldn’t placate them with the free rolls.

Feeding your baby grains displaces other, more important nutrients.

If you feed your baby cereal or other grains, you’re doing more than simply sticking them with an indigestible food. You’re feeding them an indigestible food in place of something more nutrient-dense. You’re feeding them something their body can’t really use and starving them of the nutrients they need to grow a healthy brain, nervous system, and bone structure.

Another issue is feeding iron fortified foods to a breastfeeding baby actually blocks the natural iron in the milk from absorbing. This causes anemia in baby.

And the reason so many choose baby led solids is its easier and healthier. Baby food is mostly water. It also doesn't have as many nutrients as feedings the non pureed version.

WIC gives you checks for foods. You don't have to use all the checks. So nothing is going to waste, someone else buys the food. Many moms don't use the baby food vouchers and use the fruits and veggie vouchers instead. Theres also many who get the baby food and cereal and donate it.
  • Baby_Avas_Momma
    January 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    Um. You were given factual information (which is what that group is about) and you disagreed. Your question WAS answered by many. No one was mean or rude. No need to be so dramatic.
  • AtiFreeFalls
    January 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Iron isn't transferred through breast milk much anyway. Your iron/red cell count doesn't make much difference to what your baby is getting. Which is one of the reasons some health care providers want moms to start giving a breast fed baby iron fortified cereal at 4-6 months.

If your baby is not anemic (they should be checking at WIC) then the cereal is just for fun. With my kids, because we all were slightly anemic, I gave the cereal... mixed with breast milk and mashed banana, avocado or sweet potato. Its is a great compromise. They get the iron from the cereal but they also get the excellent nutrition of breast milk and super foods.

I do think more people need to be made aware of the risks of starting a baby on cereal. Its not the best thing for every kid. And getting the food for free doesn't make it the best choice. My kids wouldn't even eat jarred baby food. I stopped buying it and getting it with WIC checks and ended up donating a lot of it because my kids just wouldn't eat it. So it might be a non-issue for you. And if you don't get it, its not wasted :-)
  • jessi2girls
    January 15, 2013 at 10:06 AM

what was your original question? 

• Pooobaihr
    January 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I don't get it either. I go with what my doc says and he's a great doc.  He's even told me to put a little rice in the formula sometimes. Not enough to make it thick and clumpy, but just enough to where it still comes through the nipple.

• Nicki1995
    January 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM

This =)

Quoting StrawberryCool:

Who cares what other people say.

I love when people say its bad and itll lead to problems.

Or how people bash ff.

Then get pissy when I tell em I got a perfectly healthy baby.

But its you baby, so eff whatever everyone thinks

• corrinacs
    January 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Just do what you know is best!!!!!

I feed my baby cereal....why?  Because he has sensory issues and will not (cannot really) eat other textures right now.  I tried baby led solids and that went terribly :/.  He wasn't eating ANYTHING and starting to refuse bottles.  So, according to everyone on Cafemom I'm doing EVERYTHING wrong LOL.

He's on formula.....toddler soy formula at that.  He's allergic to milk.  He's still on purees and rice cereal.  He will eat cheerios, but that's not all that nutriciuos.

Besides, I don't what's so wrong with baby cereal either.  I get the organic kind.  Has quite a few vitamins and minerals :)

• mama2gg
    by mama2gg
    January 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Baby ceral is horrid

It is pointless

There are no nutrients in it at all NONE , zero, ZIP

If you want to feed your baby food wait till their body'scan handle FOOD and then feed REAL food. It's not expensive to feed a child, get a banana and feed done.

Baby Ceral-

You are not letting it go to WASTE are you kidding me people are on waiting lists to TRY and get on WIC around the world because people buy the stuff they DONT NEED because they don't want to "waste" it aggggggg

whats in baby cereal -soy oil, tricalcium phosphate and dicalcium phosphate and tocopherols as a preservative. Iron, zinc sulfate, alpha tocopheryl acetate, niacinamide, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin mononitrate, folic acid and cyanocobalamin  AND 1g of SUGAR!

whats in a banana-Bananas are a valuable source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and potassium.
  • azpreemiemom
    January 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I am sure you got your answer, but breastmilk really isn't good to mix in with cereal because the enzymes in the breastmilk will thin the cereal and you have a runny mess. Personally, I prefer to use juice or water and mix it with puree and cereal. I didn't do a lot of cereal with the last baby because he didn't like it. I did with the older 3, and they are all healthy and fine.

Pumping a little bit probably won't increase your supply. Not significantly, anyway. 

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

I asked if adding a pumping session in so i have bm to put in the oatmeal would increase my supply. Cause I already have a pretty heavy supply. And I do understand that people have different opinions and I did do research before deciding to feed him oatmeal. I'm not anemic but my iron levels are rather low, according to the last blood test I had when I got my second shot of depo. It's just barely high enough for me to not be considered anemic.

Quoting BelleVernonGirl:

I always fed mine cereal...I got WIC as well..they are 16 and fine...I don't see the problem.  What was the original question you asked about it?  I missed it...