mommyof31024
Natural birth?
January 12, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Have any of you ladies had a natural birth how was it honestly? With both my girls I had a epurdural with my first I felt contractions with my second I did but it hurt really bad. I want to try and go natural but Im not going to lie I'm a cry baby how bad does it really hurt?

Replies

• DixieFlower
    January 13, 2013 at 10:12 PM

A doula is not an epidrual. A doula is someone who has been trained either formally or informally to help laboring mom's. My doula had my husband involved a lot in helping me and when he needed a break she took over. My first labor was 36 hours. 31 of those were after my water broke. My second labor was 27 hrs. I labored at home for 18 of those hours. When I got to the hospital I was aready 6 cm dilated. My contractions were doing okay until the triage nurse broke my water without my permission. Then the contractions were awful. They were worse than during my first birth and I had back labor with him and he was postiroir.  Induction causes contractions to come hard and fast. It's not gradual as your body is made to handle it. If you are concerned you won't go into labor on your own why not wait until you are past 41 weeks to look at induction? At least give your baby and body a chance to start the process on it's own. Also what they put on your cervix to ripen it is a drug. A natural birth means no induction, no meds. I haven't had a natural birth yet. I've had two medicated vaginal births.

• Sassy_Mommy1
    January 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM
    I had my son natural and I believe its just about how you prepare yourself. Dont panic and go into the hospital with no intentions on getting an epidural. The worse part is the crowning of the head which gives a really bad burn but once my sons head was out it was over!
  • patticoss
    January 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM

My daughter came totally naturally because she came too fast. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. We got to the hospital at 3:30 and she was born at 7:16, and the midwife was going to check me at 9 and get me the epidural then. She did not even have time to change, and told me next time she would know to get ready the second I came in the door. I did not even need stitches. My first was an emergency c-section and I only got to 3 cent. with him.

• emeraldangel2.0
    January 14, 2013 at 1:10 AM

no natural birth here. i had to have a c section and i'm not likely to have a vaginal birth ever again

• mousesmommy5610
    January 14, 2013 at 1:13 AM

idk why the other poster is trying to talk u out of what u have decided, being induced isnt that bad if u have been threw it i was induced with my first at 38 weeks because we didnt have a choice or i wouldnt have her. plus SOME bodies just dont know what labor is until its jump started by either pit or the pills for the cervix, just because she needs helping with labor doesnt mean she wants and epi. its that simple she wants to experience birth without the needle in her back. its obvious. and to be honest i commend her for being able to have vaginal births cause i may not ever be able to! so let the women do what SHE knows is best for her and her child!!

• SlapItHigh
    January 14, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Actually no one tried to talk her out of what she has decided.  It's not accurate that some bodies just don't know what labor is until being induced.  She doesn't need help, she chooses help.  Additionally, wanting to avoid a needle in her back is not the answer she gave when asked so I'm not sure how that could be so obvious.  If that were the reason, then we could share with her the numerous other options for pain releif that don't involve needles in the back.  I would commend any mother for any type of birth, whether c-section, vaginal, induced, epidural, or what have you.

Asking why a woman wants a "natural" birth is an honest question that will help determine how to give her the best advice.  For example, my main reason for wanting a natural birth was so that I could feel my baby and my body and be in control of my birth, not be hooked up to an IV or to monitors, etc.  The advice for someone like that would be very different than the advice for someone who wanted to be induced without a needle in her back. My standard advice for women wanting a natural birth would not apply to the OP.

Also, this question is coming from a woman who posted here that she has been on vicodin (or "vikes" as she called it) and percocet throughout her pregnancy, that she bought because "it's just a want thing".  So yeah, I was definitely curious as to what about a natural birth was appealing to her.  Knowing that would better able me to give her advice to help her reach her goal.

Quoting mousesmommy5610:

idk why the other poster is trying to talk u out of what u have decided, being induced isnt that bad if u have been threw it i was induced with my first at 38 weeks because we didnt have a choice or i wouldnt have her. plus SOME bodies just dont know what labor is until its jump started by either pit or the pills for the cervix, just because she needs helping with labor doesnt mean she wants and epi. its that simple she wants to experience birth without the needle in her back. its obvious. and to be honest i commend her for being able to have vaginal births cause i may not ever be able to! so let the women do what SHE knows is best for her and her child!!

• LeighAnn_27
    January 14, 2013 at 6:02 AM
    I had a natural birth? But i had the epidural though she was my first and she is my only child.
  • Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    January 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I have not.

• delanna6two
    January 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM

My 3rd was all natural...she came so fast I did not have time to have any of the birth aides...

• EarlGrayHot
    January 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM

You shouldn't worry about having a "natural" birth.  just concentrate of whatever works for you, gives you the pain relief you need and gets that baby out in good health.  All other things are secondary!  Good luck!