Mom to Mom

Need family TAX advice.. Any knowledge?
January 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I live in the state of Pennsylvania. We're trying to figure out how to file this year without breaking any laws.  My fiancĂ© lives with me and I have 3 children from a former marriage.  My ex husband pays child support.  I am unemployed therefore I don't file every year.  Does my fiancĂ© have a right to claim my children because we've lived together this year, or does my ex have a right to claim them?  I intend on doing more research and making a few calls if necessary, but wanted to know if anyone had this similar experience or knows the answer.  Thanks mamas! 


  • delanna6two
    January 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

    I'm not's a help link I googled on filing dependents..

  • delanna6two
    January 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM

    Here's another help link on dependents...

  • JJsMommy706
    January 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

    Checking them out now, thank you!!

  • DixieFlower
    January 8, 2013 at 4:12 PM

    What does your divorce decree say? Typically they outline who claims the children which is usually the custodial parent unless there is an agreement otherwise. If they live with you and not your ex husband you would have to sign a paper in order for him to claim them.

  • Janet
    by Janet
    January 8, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    I have no idea
  • MistressMinerva
    January 8, 2013 at 5:44 PM

    If your boyfriend has supported them for more than 6 months then he can claim them and you. If you have an agreement with Ex then he gets to claim them.

  • Aishamusty
    January 8, 2013 at 5:51 PM

    Me either 

    Quoting Janet:

    I have no idea

  • JJsMommy706
    January 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM

    I actually called the IRS directly and as mentioned above, he cannot claim them because they did not live with him.  They haven't since 2010.  They said it would be illegal for him to claim them.  Thanks ladies!! :0)

  • jenmomx3
    January 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM

    Whoever has the kids all year gets to claim them.  That sounds like you. also if  you are unemployed, your fiancee can file head of household and he can claim YOU as a dependent since you didn't work. So basically your fiancee can claim you and the kids.

  • Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    January 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

    I would ask a tax place.

Mom to Mom

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts