Featured Posts
Sparkyfire
I should know this.. Help? Update with doctors dx
January 7, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Update: took him to doctor, it's a common cold, was told watch for fever and run a humidifier. And doctor wasnt too concerned over the gasping after a coughing fit. He said it was normal since yds coughed in tiny fits. Kinda how an adult will cough alot then gasp for air and breath a lil funny after, same thing smaller scale.

So I'm filling the humidifier tank, and he's sleeping in his car seat to keep him sat up so the snot can drain and wont pool in his sinus cavity and give him more trouble.
Thank you all for the advice :)

Original post:

So I have 2 kids, ods is 3 almost 4 and yds is 3 weeks today. Ods has had a cold for a few weeks since around Christmas. His pedi said he just had to let it run it's course and to be cautious having him around yds.

Well we've been snowed in basicly since Christmas. I can't take ods outside to play cause the snow is covering a thick chunk of ice plus he's still snotty so he's been chillin on the couch with me watching Disney jr and coloring his coloring books. Well dh got the same cold, but he has washed his hands like crazy, and avoided breathing on yds, or doing anything that would cause him to get sick. I've been ok, I haven't caught the cold they have at all, so it was easy for me to avoid getting yds sick.

Well last night yds showed symptoms of the same cold. He had trouble breathing with a snotty nose so we've tried to keep it clear. Well his breathing is a little snotty sounding. Like he breaths and you can hear the snot moving.

He slept on dh's chest since he was already sick we didn't try to avoid it as hard. Biggest issue is when yds coughs it's like he can't breath at all. He gasps for air after for a few seconds. This is where I worry, plus his temp is 97.9 but he's coated me in sweat where his head lays on my arm.

His pedi is booked solid due to everyone gettin a dang cold or the flu ect but we already had an appt scheduled for tomorrow at 1 pm. My question is more what do I watch for? His breathing is more clear now that I've showered with him letting the warmth and steam help break things up and it's stopped his cough, but I'm so scared ill fall asleep and he'll stop breathing if he coughs.

I plan to go to his doc appt about this unless his breathing gets worse, but I know alot of babies get rsv easy and I don't know what the signs of that is at all.

:/ can you tell I worry alot? Any advice?

Replies

• DixieFlower
    January 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM

It almost sounds more like croup especially if the steam helps clear him up a bit. Is there anyway you can get a warm mist humidifier for where he sleeps? That will help a lot. Also maybe use nasal saline and a nasal bulb before he goes to sleep to try and get his nose clear before he goes to sleep. I'm not sure what they do for croup with LO's that little my 3 yr old and 2 yr old both just had croup and they gave them a dose of an oral sterioid.

• Mrs.Bolin
    January 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM

watch it closely and his breathing. Keep a cool mist humidifier and make yourself a tent like a croop tent with a sheet and have hime sit under it with the humidifier. Drink lots of liquids even popcycles and jello. If he is having hard time breathing and it sounds like its ratteling then go to the e.r. cause it could be a infection. My daughter had RSV a few years ago and was hospitalized. Very serious

• Sparkyfire
    January 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    I'm going to the pharmacy this evening for saline, only problem is the nasal bulb is too big to realy work on his tiny nose. I tried earlier and it didnt help at all.

And no, we don't have a warm mist humidifier.
    We have a regular one, and he seems to sleep best either on dh's chest, or proped up at an angle in my arms against my chest. He can't sleep on my chest as he kicks a bit and Im still healing from a c section, my abdominal muscles still ache and his kicks hurt so I curl up on my side with him in my arms and just let him snooze while I watch him and kinda doze with him.

My oldest I never had these issues. He was a summer baby and we didnt have snow or ice or realy any cold until January after he was born so he was almost a year by that time and he didnt get a cold or anything when it got colder.

Quoting DixieFlower:

It almost sounds more like croup especially if the steam helps clear him up a bit. Is there anyway you can get a warm mist humidifier for where he sleeps? That will help a lot. Also maybe use nasal saline and a nasal bulb before he goes to sleep to try and get his nose clear before he goes to sleep. I'm not sure what they do for croup with LO's that little my 3 yr old and 2 yr old both just had croup and they gave them a dose of an oral sterioid.

• Sparkyfire
    January 7, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    Breathing wise he's mostly ok. I hear the snot in his breathing some like its moving from his sinus cavity out, he coughs though an will gasp for breath for a few seconds but then breathes normal again.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

watch it closely and his breathing. Keep a cool mist humidifier and make yourself a tent like a croop tent with a sheet and have hime sit under it with the humidifier. Drink lots of liquids even popcycles and jello. If he is having hard time breathing and it sounds like its ratteling then go to the e.r. cause it could be a infection. My daughter had RSV a few years ago and was hospitalized. Very serious

• Mrs.Bolin
    January 7, 2013 at 5:47 PM

lol, im forgeting its a lil tiny baby. But do the same. Cool mist is better and thats what they use in hospitals. If he has a bouncy seat than thats great to sit him in. Poor lil guy. Probly just a cold. Mainly just watch the chest breathing and listen for it. All this cold and dry whether is just giving everyone insane sinus infections. Thats probly what it is

Quoting Sparkyfire:

Breathing wise he's mostly ok. I hear the snot in his breathing some like its moving from his sinus cavity out, he coughs though an will gasp for breath for a few seconds but then breathes normal again.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

• Sparkyfire
    January 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    He seems to enjoy his swing, which also vibrates as well as swings. It's the only other place besides in my arms or on dh he will sleep.

We are both watching and listening to his breathing, an we keep checking his temp to make sure it doesn't spike.

Thank you for the advice though. I feel like a new mommy with him because my first was totally different and I've forgotten alot of what I did with ods. Heck I cried trying to remember how to sponge bath him lol. I did remember the shower with him trick for when he could do submersion baths and I used it for this to help try and move the snot. I figure the stuff I do for myself when stuffed up would work on him as well since I try to avoid medicating for snotty nose on myself, so far it's helping.

I just worry alot cause my cousin's oldest had a sudden bout of whooping cough when he was a baby that they didnt see coming at all. It was cold symptoms then outa nowhere it was suddenly worse and they almost lost the lil one. So I try to watch for this stuff, plus I'm worried he'll stop breathing in his sleep :/

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

lol, im forgeting its a lil tiny baby. But do the same. Cool mist is better and thats what they use in hospitals. If he has a bouncy seat than thats great to sit him in. Poor lil guy. Probly just a cold. Mainly just watch the chest breathing and listen for it. All this cold and dry whether is just giving everyone insane sinus infections. Thats probly what it is

Quoting Sparkyfire:

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

• DixieFlower
    January 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I meant a cool mist humidifier as someone else mentioned. It's a really good investment if you are able to get one. My oldest was born in Feb and my youngest in Oct. I didn't have too many issues with colds with my oldest until he was a bit older however, my youngest was sick when he was about two months old with some sort of snot stuff.

Quoting Sparkyfire:

I'm going to the pharmacy this evening for saline, only problem is the nasal bulb is too big to realy work on his tiny nose. I tried earlier and it didnt help at all.

And no, we don't have a warm mist humidifier.
    We have a regular one, and he seems to sleep best either on dh's chest, or proped up at an angle in my arms against my chest. He can't sleep on my chest as he kicks a bit and Im still healing from a c section, my abdominal muscles still ache and his kicks hurt so I curl up on my side with him in my arms and just let him snooze while I watch him and kinda doze with him.

My oldest I never had these issues. He was a summer baby and we didnt have snow or ice or realy any cold until January after he was born so he was almost a year by that time and he didnt get a cold or anything when it got colder.

• SlapItHigh
    January 7, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I would take him in to the UC or ER if there is any question that he may be having trouble breathing.  Is he breastfed?

• SlapItHigh
    January 7, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Whooping cough has a distinctive sound.  Check out some youtube videos to hear if you are unsure.

• SlapItHigh
    January 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Do you have a nosefrida?

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN