Featured Posts
busymomof2518
Touching....
January 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM

My 3yr old son is at that age of touching himself. Is it normal for him to ALWAYS be doing it. I mean there are times that I think he's obssesing over it. There are also times that he tells me his penis hurts, when it comes down to my DH trying to look our DS freaks out.

I'm going to have to have his DR look at it on his 4yr appointment this month...Growing up with younger brother's they seemed to touch themselves but it just seem's as though our DS does it all the time.

Replies

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    January 7, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    I don't have a boy but I hear its pretty normal. My nephew is a year and a half and already won't leave it alone!
  • paris2lmp
    January 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I have 2 boys.  They both went through that stage too, so I think that its pretty normal.  The hurting though might be somethng to be concerned about.  If he is uncircumcised he might have an infection (my youngest son went through that once, no fun for anybody), definitely talk to his dr about it.  It could just hurt because he is pulling on it and playing with it so much. 

• eoewan
    by eoewan
    January 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Through my experience (ds, 3 gs, and a new ds) the hurting is when the lo has caused an erection. Little boys do not understand, they just know it feels different.

• jordonmasonmom
    January 7, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Yes both my boys went thru this stage and I did take my oldest to the dr (@3yrs old) and asked this same question. she said it is normal for a child to go thru this stage and it is normal to worry and ask about. She just told me not to make him feel like he is doing something bad or wrong...anywho, you doctor will eplain. =)) goodluck!

• splatz
    by splatz
    January 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    I think its a normal boy stage.
  • splatz
    by splatz
    January 7, 2013 at 1:28 PM
    I agree on the hurting part. They just don't know how to express what they are feeling.

Quoting eoewan:

Through my experience (ds, 3 gs, and a new ds) the hurting is when the lo has caused an erection. Little boys do not understand, they just know it feels different.

• Mrs.Bolin
    January 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM

yeah, other than it might be bothering him, its normal. Its a part of child developement

• MistressMinerva
    January 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM

It's normal.

• DixieFlower
    January 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM

It's been my experience that it's pretty normal. We had to take my oldest to the pediatrician when he was 3yrs old. He's not circumcised and he said his "pee pee" hurt. When we looked it was very red. As soon as his doctor saw it he asked him if he'd put something in there. My son told him yes. The doctor asked what and he said soap. So his doctor got a pair of tweezers and sure enough a small sliver of ivory soap was in his foreskin. His doctor just laughed and told us it's quite common at this age. So I guess if that is normal the discovery is just part of the process.

• busymomof2518
    January 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Thank you. Growing up with younger siblings who are boys they did touch themselves, I must not have noticed or paid attention to it.

My ds is also in this stage of touching/whiping his bottum with his fingers/hand and smelling himself. He tells me that he's checking for poop. I whip him and I know that there is nothing left on him. I feel as though I have to always have my ds wash his hands for he then touches his face, his little brother...it grosses me out. Which it really shouldn't, I just don't want him to think it's okay to do that in public.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts