Cafe MichelleP
Was This School Being ProActive or Did They Overreact?
January 5, 2013 at 9:30 AM

6-Year-Old Boy Is Suspended for Pointing Fingers at Classmate Like a Gun

Posted by Jeanne Sager

fingers shape gunTalk about an over-reaction! A 6-year-old boy has been suspended from school for pointing his finger like a gun and saying "pow" to another student. The Maryland first grader is unlucky enough to have gotten caught up in the mass anxiety that's swept American school districts in the wake of the shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Let's just set aside the debate over kids and gun play for a second, shall we? Unfortunately, his school record isn't going to reflect the national distress at the exact moment of his little mishap. Instead we have a 6-year-old whose minor transgression will follow him for the rest of his school career. Is that really fair?

The child's family is fighting to have this little guy's suspension expunged from his record, and I can't help but agree with them. Because let's face it, this was pretty minor. This kid used his FINGERS in the shape of a gun! He didn't bring a real gun to school.

What's more, he's only 6. He's at an age when adult supervision is a must, when kids' brains are still so underdeveloped that something as simple as tying their own shoes is often a challenge. And we expect them to think out the repercussions of pointing their fingers at a pal right after a mass school shooting?

I don't think so.

We have put school administrators in a tough spot in America. We expect them to come down hard on kids who act up. We want to strike out bullying, end school violence. We mean well, but we're hurting our kids.

Six-year-olds are suspended for pointing their fingers. Six-year-olds are haunted forever by actions done when they were SIX!

It's as this 6-year-old's attorney pointed out to the Washington Post:

They took the worst possible interpretation of this little child’s actions, and five years from now, if he gets into a tussle, they’re going to look back and say, ‘This is one bad little kid.'

We need to strike a balance here. Can't we hold little kids accountable for their actions without forcing them to pay for being young and immature forever? Can't we hold off on the hardcore punishments, on marking the "permanent" record until they're old enough to actually understand what they're doing?

Do you think it's right to brand this 6-year-old for something so silly?

Should transgressions for kids this young go on their record?

Replies

• ZakkarysMom
    January 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    Thats ridiculous!
  • gr8d8n3mom
    January 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM

The kid is 6. He has no idea about what's going on in the media. What ever happened to cowboys & indians? The school is out of line.

• goddess99
    January 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I don't think he should have been suspended, maybe talked to by the principal or school counselor to explain that that behavior is wrong. Permanent record at 6 is stupid.

• mary841108
    January 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM

thats stupid. this country has its knickers in a bunch for just about everything.

• Janet
    by Janet
    January 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    That's ridiculous!
  • Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    January 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I think it was a little too much! He is 6, if this is his first time doing something like this talk to him!

• Bre
    by Bre
    January 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    It may have been his fingers as a gun now and a "pow" but it very well cld lead t more!
    Sorry but if a 6yr old is making a "gun" with his fingers and pointing them at a classmate and saying pow there is somthing wrong beond childs play!

I'm NOT agenst guns hell I myself own 3 not to mention my 6 yr old has prob 2 doz "play" guns....in which he KNOWS are NOT to be pointed at noone and I mean NO ONE!!!!! BUT when a child makes a gun and says pow at a class mate I truly believe there is an underling issue and it will arise sometime some where!

The thing I where do we draw the line??? Let kids get away with such things and god forbid they do, do something down the road?? It one of those lose, lose situations unfoutantly!
  • MichelleMc
    January 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Totally ridiculous. Kids have been using their fingers as guns for Decades! I mean come on! Lets get real. How anyone could see this as anything more than a 6 year old playing. He said POW. He didn't say Die MF'er. Or I am going to bring a real one tomorrow. He said POW.

• MistressMinerva
    January 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM

That's ridiculous!

• saltycoqui
    January 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    Getting counseling would make more sense.