Henofthewood
Mini Push ups and rolling over
January 5, 2013 at 7:25 AM

So my baby is 3.5 months old and can do mini push ups and roll over BUT he can only do them if I prop him up on his arms. He won't put himself in the position to do them. I'm wondering if I'm helping him by putting him in the position, i.e. teaching him, or am I hindering his progress?

Replies

• emmy526
    by emmy526
    January 5, 2013 at 8:35 AM

You should keep helping him, how else is he going to learn?  in time, he will realize when he is on the floor, propping himself up will come naturally because of what you showed him.  Little babies are actually very smart. 

• goddess99
    January 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I'm not sure, that was a long time ago for me. I do know the only stuff I helped with was sitting up.

• Janet
    by Janet
    January 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Quoting emmy526:

You should keep helping him, how else is he going to learn?  in time, he will realize when he is on the floor, propping himself up will come naturally because of what you showed him.  Little babies are actually very smart. 

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    January 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I would help him for now but talk to your pedi with any concerns!

• MistressMinerva
    January 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Nothing wrong with helping him.

• SlapItHigh
    January 6, 2013 at 1:06 AM

No, I don't think that's helping.  Probably won't hinder his progress either but it could cause him pain or injuryso I probably wouldn't do that.  Why are you in a rush?

• SlapItHigh
    January 6, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Quoting emmy526:

Most of that stuff is purely developmental.  So they will learn even if no one ever helps them.  The best way to facilitate that development is to create a womb like environment (aka lots of skin to skin with mom).  Basically babywear or hold baby as often as possible and that's the fastest way to ensure such development.  Remember, other mammals literally fall out of their mothers womb and start walking around.  No one needed to "help" them.  In fact, their legs were smashed up in a uterus and still they are able to do it right away.  Humans are born "early" compared to other mammals because of their large brains (wouldn't be able to fit through the birth canal if they did all of their gestating inside mom's uterus).  So human babies continue to gestate outside of mom's uterus for another 9 months.  This period is known as exterogestation.  

• Henofthewood
    January 6, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I am definitely NOT in a rush! But he hates tummy time and has the ability to hold himself up, he has the strength in his arms and likes tummy time better if I show him  how to hold himself up.

• Henofthewood
    January 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I also DO babywear and agree with everything else that you are saying.

• SallyLennon
    January 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM

What is perhaps important to keep in mind, is that we're all great moms. All of us, no matter our parenting preference, share a common goal. To raise a happy, and healthy child, or children. What one mom finds to be helpful, or important during her journey through mothering could be shared amongst a majority, or a minority of mothers. There will be, no doubt, disagreements, and agreements as to how to raise young children. Of course this would be true, for every child, and parent is different. So, with this, we all must remember, during our outreach of support, whether it be a question of sleeping, teething, burping, or bathing, that respect for other's choices should be kept in check first. For we're all in this together, and we need to strive to build confidence, along with learning. You'll all great moms, stay strong, and continue to perceiver.