Featured Posts
chicanueva
has anyone bought a new car lately? PIOG
December 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I am 46, and never bought new.

I want a new car this time around. Please share your experience. Was it the right decision, or a big mistake? Any tips on getting a good price?

I'm single, and I just left a dealership where I felt like they treated me like an idiot. Wouldn't put anything in writing. grrr.    I'm tired of shopping around, but hesitate to take that plunge. arrgh

I am pretty nervous about taking on a big payment; but if I love the car I think I'll manage it.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Replies

• k8smimi
    by k8smimi
    December 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Same thing happened to me recently. I went to another dealer and found a more pleasant experience.  Do you have someone you can take with you?  Be comfortable with your experience and payment levels.  If you walk away from a deal, sometimes they will call you within a few hours offering a lower price.  I was holding out for a better trade-in value and it worked.

• MichelleMc
    December 29, 2012 at 8:18 AM

We bought new once & we said we will never ever do it again. They lose value the moment you sign the paper. We have learned more about it and will always buy used now. 

For sure though be comfortable, if they won't work with you, walk away! They surely can't be in a situation they need to lose a customer, but they surely don't need your business if they won't work with you. 

• delanna6two
    December 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM

no...but I would like to have a van..

• Venae
    by Venae
    December 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Unfortunately, you'll have to take a man with you - they don't get treated like idiots (usually).  There could be some great deals since its the end of the year - maybe get last year's model for a good price.  If not, get something 1-2 years old w/a good warranty.  Good luck - car shopping is a pain in the behind.

• delmeg10
    December 29, 2012 at 11:24 PM
    I agree with Venae. Take a man with you, any man. Your dad, a friend, co-worker, neighbor, brother, etc. Any man will do. When I bought my first new car, I went by myself to look and walked away with a quote for a payment of $389 a month. When my dad went back with me to buy that same car, the payments on the paperwork ended up being $226.
  • FL2AK
    by FL2AK
    December 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM
    I have always purchased my own vehicles without my husband. Do your research and go in as knowledgeable as you can. Know exactly what car you want, what features you want and what the MSRP is. It also helps to already have your financing approved from your bank so you know exactly how much you can spend and approximately what your payments will be.
  • suetoo
    by suetoo
    December 30, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Even with a DH, I hate shopping for a car more than anything. In Gallup polls for several years running, nurses were of the most trusted profession, car salesman the least. We return to our favorite local dealership, and avoid the glitzy million dollar showrooms like the plague. In fact, several nearby dealerships have salespeople on salary, they treat you way better than shysters on commission who run and hide behind an office door to "run a 'deal' by the manager"! Good luck! Have your financing already in place, start with your family, or local bank. And, check the Kelly Blue Book, and insist on a copy of the car facts report. The dealer prints them off for almost no cost to them. And copy down the VIN vehicle ID number, that is visible thru the windshield tucked along the bottom edge near corner. Copy accurately, take notes on exactly what you are being offered, $$$ and extras, take your time, and go home and research online, stop at competing dealerships, too. Good luck, 

• adrosie08
    December 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I just leased a new car. I had my dad come with me, just because he knows more about cars and all that. I think it is best to have some one accompany you, especially if you did not leave feeling comfortable about it!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts