Featured Posts
splatz
Refusing to nap/ night terrors
by splatz
December 27, 2012 at 11:59 AM
I'm pretty sure my two year olds lack of naps are what are causing the sleep issues at night. She is so over tired that she is just generally a mess. She wakes up numerous times a night screaming. When I try to comfort her she does not even realize that I am there half of the time. She will keep asking for me even if I am holding her. I try to just comfort her and get her back to sleep. This happens between 3 and 7 times a night now. So neither of us are sleeping much.

She still NEEDS a nap, badly. I've even tried to just get her to have quiet time if she won't nap. But she is just so busy that she doesn't calm down and relax at all in that time. I'm not sure what to do go get her to nap at this point. It doesn't matter how early she wakes up or how busy we are during the day. She still won't nap.

Has anyone dealt with this? Any advice on napping and/or sleep terrors?

Replies

• goddess99
    December 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Oh I'm sorry, that sucks. Poor thing =( I'm no help. But I did see on Pinterest the other day, so put beans in a glove and when you are patting your baby back to sleep you put the glove on them and sneak out of the room. That way the LO thinks you're still there. I would talk to her doctor, maybe use lavender babywash at night or lotion.

• lillucky8
    December 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    My dd gets quiet sippy and mickey mouse show time or reading before nap. i start settling her about half an hour before she goes. She also gets five min of reading time in her bed before lights out if she wants to help settle herself.
  • splatz
    by splatz
    December 27, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    Yeah I think we are going to have to make a trip to the pedi. :( We dealt with this a few months ago when she first switched to the toddler bed. It stopped for a little while. And now its gotten worse.

I don't know what to do to make her nap. If I lay in bed with her she will just talk to me the whole time or move around non stop.

Quoting goddess99:

Oh I'm sorry, that sucks. Poor thing =( I'm no help. But I did see on Pinterest the other day, so put beans in a glove and when you are patting your baby back to sleep you put the glove on them and sneak out of the room. That way the LO thinks you're still there. I would talk to her doctor, maybe use lavender babywash at night or lotion.

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    December 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM

My daughter outgrew night terrors by 2.5 years old.

• ZakkarysMom
    December 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    I would suggest going to a child psychologist. My son goes to one(for different reasons). He has had night terrors though and the dr helped with that. That is too many in one night. Thats not normal.
  • MichelleMc
    December 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I dealt with night terrors. It didn't effect his naps but then naps were done by about 2.5-3. They made him grouchy & worse, so we cut them out. 

Terrors came from his crib, which is usually where they come from. Crib & room. He actually went onto a Mattress on the floor. We lived in an apt at the time, so it was on the living room floor. They stopped almost instantly. His started about 18 months though so he was still napping and he was napping same place. 

Doctor said there was not a thing wrong with the mattress on the floor, and to not worry about it. ( was thinking it was horrible but it worked great LOL )

At 3, we got him a full size bed, he went into it great. Toddler bed, never did work. 

• splatz
    by splatz
    December 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    She doesn't have them when she naps. But I have noticed when she does nap she doesn't have them at night.

My SIL said that she had the same problem with her son. On days they were busy and he would miss his nap he would have night terrors that night. She explained it really well and I can't remember all of it exactly. (Thank you sleep deprivation lol) But she said her pedi explained it that their body is so over tired that they go from the 2nd to 3rd state of sleep too fast.

She loved her crib. But she was a climber so we made the switch a few months agk. She really enjoys her toddler bed since we decorated it with her favorite character.

Quoting MichelleMc:

I dealt with night terrors. It didn't effect his naps but then naps were done by about 2.5-3. They made him grouchy & worse, so we cut them out. 

Terrors came from his crib, which is usually where they come from. Crib & room. He actually went onto a Mattress on the floor. We lived in an apt at the time, so it was on the living room floor. They stopped almost instantly. His started about 18 months though so he was still napping and he was napping same place. 

Doctor said there was not a thing wrong with the mattress on the floor, and to not worry about it. ( was thinking it was horrible but it worked great LOL )

At 3, we got him a full size bed, he went into it great. Toddler bed, never did work. 

• splatz
    by splatz
    December 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    That gives me hope! She turned 2 in September.

Quoting PEEK05:

My daughter outgrew night terrors by 2.5 years old.

• splatz
    by splatz
    December 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    Thanks!

And I agree it is. Its not every night. But more nights than not she has them. Some nights are really bad some are not as bad.

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

I would suggest going to a child psychologist. My son goes to one(for different reasons). He has had night terrors though and the dr helped with that. That is too many in one night. Thats not normal.
  • CorpCityGrl
    December 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM

You mentioned that when she DOES nap, she doesn't have them.  Night terrors are actually sometimes caused by sleep deprivation. 

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN