Mom to Mom

What Happens?
December 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM
I was wondering what happens when I go over my 40 weeks of pregnancy? Since I'm not making any pregress?
I've been checked by my Ob and I'm not doing anything (as in my cervix is not opening) baby girl's head is up against it but nothing more.

I'm 39 weeks, 1 day.. I asked to be induced today so that I could enjoy christmas.. I've had a tough painful pregnancy, don't judge. (the dr said it was okay as long as my cervix was open, but no!)

I just have a feeling I'm going to go over 40 and still nothing with the cervix..what would happen then?
C-section or TRY inducing, cause my doctor said it wouldn't do nothing inducing with a closed cervix.

Can anyone help. Please& thanks.


  • madisonsma08
    December 21, 2012 at 11:57 PM
    I went to 42 weeks and 5 days. I had no progress, zip zero until she broke my water and induced me. I honestly think my DD planned on staying in forever!
  • cookinmommyof1
    December 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM
    Also like to add, that I went in for a non stress test and my dr decided to keep me and induce me. I was 50% efaced and dilated to 1cm. He used a prostoglandin to try and ripen and dilate me a little more. Then started pitocin and a while later broke my water. It was a few hours before the contractions really started to suck, and ds's heart rate started going all cattywompus. It went from 140's to 200's down to 90's and back up. Then they did the c-section. I would prefer to not be induced again

    Quoting cookinmommyof1:

    Most practitioners wont let you go past 42 weeks. They can use prostoglindins (synthetic hormones) to ripen and start dilating the cervix. Also start pitocin and break your water. If nothing happens after 24hrs of broken water, they will deliver via c-section. I was induced at 41 weeks, and ended up having ds via c-section. I would talk to your dr about it more and see what they say.

  • sheramom4
    December 22, 2012 at 1:30 AM

    My OB's limit was 42 weeks. I ended up going 42 weeks and 2 days with DS due to her schedule (I wanted her to deliver him), but with the girls I never made it to 40 weeks with any of them, no inductions. My cervix had just started to soften when I was induced with DS and they planned to soften it with medications if it hadn't.

  • KRYSTALK1013
    December 28, 2012 at 11:43 PM

    At my 40 week check, my OB deemed my cervix "unfavorable" due to the fact that I was not dilated or effaced at all. She scheduled an induction at 41w1d. I ended up having my daughter naturally the day before my induction. Turns out, there wasn't an issue with my cervix. Baby just wasn't ready to come yet.

  • delmeg10
    December 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM
    I was trying for a VBAC with my second son. At 42 weeks, my doctor scheduled my second c-section. I ended up having him at 42 weeks 4 days. He was not ready to come out at all. I would wait until at least 40 weeks. If you can avoid a cesarean, do it. They are no fun. Good luck!
  • delanna6two
    December 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM

    Hugs...hope things worked out...

Mom to Mom

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts