fernjo
unappreciated daycare provider rant
by fernjo
December 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM

So I have two kids I'm watching this year.  They are brothers.  One is home sick with dad today but mom still brought the sibling on her way to work.  This makes me angry for many reasons and I'm thinking of adding it to my policy that if one sibling is home sick then the other has to stay home as well.  First of all the sibling has probably been exposed to what the other has just isn't showing signs yet.  Second, if a parent is already staying home then why not use that time to be with BOTH kids?  Even though I'm paid whether they attend or not its not the QUANTITY of time your paying for its the QUALITY I provide.  If mom had kept both kids home she would be giving me a much needed day off.  Something I'd appreciate right now before the holidays.  I never get a bonus over Christmas break and i don't make the parents pay for the time I'm closed over Christmas either.  But back to the kids - why do parents not WANT to spend time with these babies?  Does dad find it too hard to take care of his two children for one afternoon?  If so then maybe I should call DHS on him. Even if i were home sick from work I'd keep my kids home from daycare with me.  These are not school age kids these are babies and toddlers we are talking about and that time goes by way to quick.  Parents are going to MISS these years with their kids.  The two boys spend 45 plus hours with ME monday through Friday.  And I don't fall for the "we want to keep the healthy one away form the sick one" excuse.  Your kid is more likely to catch something here at daycare than they are at home.  When one of my own three kids got sick when they were all little I didn't send the others away.  Also, I have parents who just OVER USE daycare in general.  I'm not a babysitting service.  Call grandma if you want to go work out, get your hair done or get things done around the house.  You as a parent should be WANTING to make up for all the time you're gone from your little ones while you were working.  They are little for such a short time and soon they will be in school.  Why not sacrifice and put as much time as you can into your babies that you CHOSE to have instead of dumping them on me every chance you get?  I'm here to provide a service and make money but I'm a child ADVOCATE first and when parents over use my daycare I feel like I'm actually providing something that if just bad for society.   It's making me want to quit providing home daycare.   Parents need to start being more concerned about the children AND about ME than they are about "getting their moneys worth."

Replies

• lnrmom
    by lnrmom
    December 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Did you think that maybe just maybe the sick one needed to go to the doctor?

• delanna6two
    December 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Hugs...

• splatz
    by splatz
    December 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    Most daycares charge even when a child is not there.

Quoting Bonita131:

Wow, I'm glad my grand kids don't go to your daycare. Seriously, you charge for care even if a kid is home sick? How does that work? And how would the government like to know you get away with that kind of rip off? And you'd call DHS on the dad? Why? Because he's caring for his sick child & sends his not sick child to daycare so he can turn all his attention on the child who is sick? What kind of bitch are you that you would even think such a thing?

If you're on the level, which I highly suspect you are not,  you are the last person who should be looking after other peoples children.

• Ms.Maaamaof2
    December 19, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Do you charge even if the child is not at the school? Our provider does and if I am paying someone and my child is well then they are going to the school.

Sometimes parents bring a well child so that the sick Parent and sick child can rest at home without interruption.

Also, I have two dds one is always sick one has never got sick. Just because they live together and are exposed to a virus does not mean they will actually become sick.

• STVUstudent
    December 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM

What kills me is that so many of the OP's posts are during the day... so instead of watching the children you are paid to watch, you are trolling on cafemom?  Glad you aren't MY daycare...

• Ms.Maaamaof2
    December 19, 2012 at 3:43 PM

LOL good eye!

I mean she cleary is an exceptional daycare provider!

Quoting STVUstudent:

What kills me is that so many of the OP's posts are during the day... so instead of watching the children you are paid to watch, you are trolling on cafemom?  Glad you aren't MY daycare...

• ctfirsttimemom
    December 19, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I'm a SAHM because I love this time with my boys... but, if someone is PAYING you to watch their kids and you feel you shouldn't have to, maybe its time for a career change.  If I had someone I could ask to watch one of my boys when the other is sick, I would definitely take advantage of it.  If I was paying for full time daycare, you better believe the healthy one would be going!  Why have them sit in a house with a sick sibling more than necessary.  Besides, their dad would have been busy with the sick child and that is where his attention would be focused anyway.

• mom2bahandcch
    December 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM

your posts make me happy my kids dont go to daycare.  you sound like a real bitch who shouldnt be around kids in the first place.  and what do you care why they bring their kids in , you get paid either way.

Quoting fernjo:

ahaaaa, you guys are the NIGHTMARE parents that all providers talk to each other about.  I snicker because you'd all be out of luck finding care in my town as us providers all warn each other about the problem parents who have no concern for their providers.   We providers are taking care of the most important thing in your life (at least what SHOULD be the most important. Obviously not for some saddly)  and you have no concern for US? Lady, you NEED us.  You are not just sad parents but sad human beings!

• SlapItHigh
    December 20, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Wow.

• Basherte
    December 20, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Here's an idea...

How about you do your job, and not judge the people that you work for.

Yes you have your own business, but without those parents you wouldn't have that business, so technically you work for them. How about not judging your boss?

How about actually worrying about the children? The one is sick. The one isn't, why punish the one that isn't and make him stay home  with nothing to do when he can go to day care and still have that routine in his life?

My son needs the routine. If that routine is messed up it causes a meltdown. 

If I was home sick from work, my son would still be going to day care. SO that I could rest and get better. I'm not going to be able to get better if I'm chasing after my son all day long. That is what day care is for. To watch my son while I am doing other things. 

It isn't your business what mom and dad are doing. Your only concern should be your job. You make sure that you do your job and take care of the child (ren) that you have in your home. That is what you are getting paid for. You are NOT getting paid to parent them, just to take care of them, you are not getting paid to judge their parents. Especially when you don't know the situation or circumstances in that family. . . You have no clue what is going on there or what they need.

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

It sounds like you just don't enjoy your job. It's not your place to decide when parents use daycare service. They pay you. You take care of their child. It's irrelevant if its for work or a torrid affair. To even suggest calling DHS is an outrage. There's a huge difference between what your complaining about and actual neglect and abuse. I loved and still love spending time with my kids BUT its not abuse if I chose to let a nanny or daycare service rear them most of the time. It's also not the place of the nanny/ daycare to judge my decisions.