Featured Posts
tcorbs
My 11 year old has gotten her period!
by tcorbs
December 17, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Well I'm desperate for some advice from Mom to Mom about how to deal with my daughter getting her period. For some reason I was under the impression that when a girl gets her first period that it should last a few days and be slight, but my daughter has had it for over a week now and as it looks like it's not heavy I'm beginning to wonder. She is confused and frankly so am I. Can anyone share some of their own experiences? I don't know if I should be concerned.

Replies

• NNB
    by NNB
    December 17, 2012 at 7:50 AM

My first period was barely noticable :/

• Nunyabusiness
    December 17, 2012 at 8:05 AM

It takes awhile for cycles to regulate. For her first one this sounds normal. It can take a few years for it to be "normal".

• jltplk25
    December 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    What nunya said. It'll take a while for her cycles to regulate.
  • OliviasMommy611
    December 17, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    Talk to her doctor.
  • redvelvet42
    December 17, 2012 at 9:33 AM

awe congrats to your young lady.

when my 21 yr old had her menarch it lasted a few days and was a moderate flow.

in my opinion, it's too early to be worried. you need to wait a couple of months, track her cycle on a calendar ( use period tracker on your andriod/ iphone) so that you have proof to present to her/ your doctor that her menses are unusually heavy. right now you two are just nervous wait, track it, have her continue to exercise, etc. and remember stress can alter the menses - make it longer, shorter, not come at all. so, you have to find a way to relax.

• luvmybug
    December 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM

when i first got my period it was heavy. some people are just different.

• goddess99
    December 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Everyone is different, I would just bring it up to her doctor. I wouldn't worry though.

• Loving19mommy92
    December 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Mt first period was at 11 and I had a pretty steady flow, however I wasn't regualr until 16 I'd go months without a period.

• Strength4Karma
    December 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    My first one was heavy, at age 14
  • Strength4Karma
    December 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    I use to get my period only 6 times a year, so I was put on birthcontrol pills at age 17 to help regulate it, then I got it every month. I quit my bc on my 20th bday. I hate birthcontrol

Quoting Loving19mommy92:

Mt first period was at 11 and I had a pretty steady flow, however I wasn't regualr until 16 I'd go months without a period.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN