trinitysmama33
i'm at a lose about my daughter and milk
December 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Ok, my baby girl is 9.5 months old, and she get between 3-4 bottles a day, depanding on if she wakes during the night for that 4th bottle.  Ok so I had pumped my breast milk for her for the first 5 weeks of her life,  plus she go formula too because I wasn't getting enough milk out for her.  I was perfectly ok with that because she go the breast milk for a little time.  After the 5 weeks it got too much for me, so I switched her to just formula.  My mother-in-law keeps telling me that when my daughter turns 10 months I should starting giving her an 0.5-1 oz of 1% or 2% cow milk once a day until she is a year old then give her the whole milk that she will need.  She did that is my husband, so she thinks it's okay to do so.  I can't have whole milk becuase I get sick from it for some reason, and it was even worse when I was pregnant so I don't even know how she is going to be with the whole milk.  Me, my little sister, or my mom can not have whole milk because we all get sick from it so I don't know.  My daughter's doctor said I won't know until I try it with her.  So I'm at a lose here with it all.

Replies

• stickyfingers
    December 15, 2012 at 11:13 PM
    just keep her on formula for a year...giving her milk early can cause a milk allegry. its your baby do what you feel is right.
  • marchantmom06
    December 15, 2012 at 11:14 PM
    Wait until a year
  • Tarah0211
    December 16, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I agree. Keep her on formula for a year. I believe they make formula for babies over a year old as well. Whole milk can also cause severe constipation in little ones. Your baby's doctor will have the best answers though. Good luck. <3.

• Bethy16
    by Bethy16
    December 16, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    No milk until they are a year
  • momma2b2008
    December 16, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    Don't listen to your peach of a MIL! No milk until a year!
  • MusherMaggie
    December 16, 2012 at 9:00 AM
    When she is a year, she can get equivalent nutrition from other foods besides cow's milk, which is really designed for baby cows! Calcium from almond milk, good fats from avocado and coconut oil.
  • orngblsm
    December 16, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    No milk until she is a year, and then very gradually introduce it. My kids got some of the worst diaper rash I have ever seen when I started giving them regular milk. Since you seem to have a family allergy to whole milk, I think I would go with almond milk instead. However, until you do switch her, be careful of leaving her with your MIL. She sounds like the type to do whatever she thinks is best even though it isn't her child.
  • goddess99
    December 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I used whole milk for quite a while then we switched to 2% but my dd was a few years old before we switched to 2%.

• Basherte
    December 17, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Doctors will tell you that it's best to wean them from the formula around a year old. I started a month prior to that, but not much at a time. None of my family has an issue with whole milk though. 

I would probably wait until your daughter is a year old and then offer her some. Or just go the soy milk route.Although that is kind of expensive. 

You never know until you try. But I wouldn't try until she is a year old. < Just my opinion. Based off of your family having issues with milk.

• suetoo
    by suetoo
    December 17, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Toddlers, after 12 months, should have whole milk, as the milk fat is vital for healthy brain growth. For very good reasons, the American Academy of Pediatrics says formula for the first year is best. Just tell your mom that this_____is what I am comfortable doing.