Featured Posts
MamaMoopsie
Has anyone else had a problem with their toddler eating dirt?
December 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I would love some advice on how to get my 2 1/2 year old to stop eating dirt. Any time she manages to get outside she just gobbles it. I left my daughters at my mom and dad's yesterday while I went to a doctors appointment. When I got back to get the girls my 2 year old had a big ol' mud ring around her mouth! Today she has a diaper rash going and her poop is very gritty (to the point I have to rinse her down in the tub to make sure I get all the little granuals out.

My mom says it's because she has an iron deficiency. I haven't talked to her doctor about it, yet. Do you have any advice? Is this just a phase?

Replies

• Addy_311
    December 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    When I worked,in daycare (i taught 2 year olds) we were instructed to notify the parents if the child ate dirt often because it could mean a vitamin or mineral defficency. I'd call your ped. to be sure.
  • dinc
    by dinc
    December 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

My middle son ate dirt.  He ate plants and a lot of other things.  He could only eat dirt that was in pots outside because where we lived, the dirt in the yard was rock hard.  He lived and it didn't hurt him.  I just had to watch him like a hawk.  He has always been high maintenance and still is as an adult. 

• ragitty
    by ragitty
    December 15, 2012 at 10:09 PM

• bosmum
    by bosmum
    December 16, 2012 at 7:03 AM

My daughter did the same thing and she was not anemic; but did have a slight iron deficiency.  Now I just make sure she gets vitamins, a little extra won't hurt her.

• mine01369
    December 16, 2012 at 9:19 AM

her body may be doign what it needs to do to try and compensate for something she is lacking..  TELL not ask your doctor to run a blood test to check her RBC's and iron levels also you are going to want to have her lead levels checked A LOT if this is an on going thing.  Also if there are dogs in the surrounding area there is a chance she can aquire roundworm.  This intestinal parasite can be very dangerous to humans.   Not all people take care of their pets like they should and animals poop and drool where ever they go.   If she ends up being low iron. There are a few things you can do. Multivitamis are the first choice of many, but if you are one of those parents that worrys about High fructose corn syrup you can ask for the iron drops.  Also you can change her diet some try not to mix dairy products with red meats and dark greens.  The calcium depletes the iron levels.  Get oj with out calcium.  I'm not sure why they add calciun to everything it makes us iron deficient.  In adjust our diets here so we don't have to be on iron,  my son don't like meat he's 7.  He gets lots of greens and chickpeas and PB and J.  He don't get milk served with those.  Good luck and I hope it all works out.  Just remember that your dr is your employee they are supposwed to do what you tell them. NOT the other way around

• Maverick1957
    December 16, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I had to crack up on this one!  I grew up on a farm and we used to eat "mud pies" as kids.    I wouldn't worry too much about it but would ck it out w/Pediatrician if major problems occur. Still do make sure there's no fertilizer, etc. around.  Seems that I do remember dr. back then mentioned iron deficiency.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN