Cafe MichelleP
UPDATE Pg 9: 7 -Year-Old Shot to Death: What Is Your Stance on Gun Control?
December 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM

7-Year-Old Shot to Death in His Car Seat Never Had a Chance

Posted by Jeanne Sager

bulletsA 7-year-old boy was shot to death under mysterious circumstances in western Pennsylvania today. The little boy was in his family car, outside a gun store, strapped into his booster seat, when police say a gun somehow fired, hitting the child square in the chest. Cops won't say yet whether the shooting outside Twig's Reloading Den in Mercer was an accident or something done intentionally.

But one thing is clear: that little boy didn't have a chance. He was strapped into his car seat, his dad was backing out of a parking space, and all of a sudden, his life was over.

We're all going to be Monday morning quarterbacking the shooting death of this child, so I want to say right now that my heart goes out to the family of this little boy. Whatever our thoughts on gun control, I hope that every American can come to a point where they agree on that.

A child is gone. His family needs our support.

They also need us all to approach this tragedy with some common sense.

Raised in a rural area, I'm all too aware of why we have the right to bear arms in this country. I know more than my fair share of people who shoot the food that their family eats. The fact is, based on its website, Twig's gun store is a place that caters mostly to hunters. There's a good chance that this was a dad taking his little boy to pick up something so they could go out on an old-fashioned dad and son bonding trip into the woods on a Saturday.

But all that said, this is one more sad story that makes me want to scream from the highest rooftop that people need to be more careful with the guns they own. Anything can happen at anytime. I've seen it in my small town, where people have unwittingly shot friends, employees, children ... because they just weren't careful enough with a loaded weapon.

What we have to remember in this gun debate isn't whether or not we have the right to be armed necessarily but the rights of people like this little boy to be around gun owners without fear.

As they say, with power comes great responsibility. And there are few powers mightier or more dangerous than gun ownership. Your responsibility to be careful and safe with that weapon is quite literally a matter of life or death.

Whatever happened to that little boy today, it was NOT his fault. Whether he touched that gun of whether he was just sitting there, it was the responsibility of that gun's owner to keep that boy safe.

What is your stance on gun control?

Do you think there's a place for gun ownership in this country?

Replies

• MistressMinerva
    December 9, 2012 at 10:34 AM

That's so sad.

• marchantmom06
    December 9, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    I think if our country even attempts to take away the right to bare arms then we need to form militia and take our country back.
  • Candi_gal
    December 9, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    I am all for citizens able to bare guns!
    It's people that do not know how to use them or practice proper safety that make it bad for us.
    This dad had a loaded 9 mm gun that he tried to sell and he didn't. It was loaded and when he went to store it in the glove compartment he accidentally hit the trigger and it went off and he shot his child accidentally. Sad all around.

I'm just wondering why there was a bullet in the chamber and why his hand was on the trigger and why it was pointed directly at his son.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
  • sissyboogs
    December 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Gun control is kind of "all or nothing". There is no way to screen which gun owners will be responsible and which ones won't. There is no way to know who will leave a loaded gun on the coffee table where their 3 year old can reach it and who won't. The only way to avoid that kind of circumstance would be to take away everybody's right to own a gun. I'm not in favor of that at all. 

Sure, stories like this are heartbreaking. I feel for this boy's family. His life was taken too soon. But, using stories like this as a way of saying "see, this is why people shouldn't be allowed to own guns" is like saying that nobody should be allowed to drive because *some* people are irresponsible behind the wheel. 

As for me personally, I was almost shot about 7 years ago because of irresponsibility with a gun. Because of that incident, I'm scared to death of guns. I get really anxious if I'm around guns--loaded or not. I won't have a gun in my house (thankfully, my husband is not a hunter). But, that doesn't mean that I think others should have their gun privileges taken away. 

• Janet
    by Janet
    December 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM

It is very sad!

• Cher53
    by Cher53
    December 10, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Thank You for what you said at the end of your post. It is true gun's don't kill people people kill with guns. I can't imagine something like this happening, I know the Father is in mourning also, but it was so senseless and should have never happened. I and my dh took lessons and we both are certified to carry and conceal, with that comes the responsibility of knowing your gun is on safety, that is the key here. We have guns locked up at all times at home as we have that responsibility so did this Father. Really is sad when something like this happens...

Quoting Candi_gal:

I am all for citizens able to bare guns!
    It's people that do not know how to use them or practice proper safety that make it bad for us.
    This dad had a loaded 9 mm gun that he tried to sell and he didn't. It was loaded and when he went to store it in the glove compartment he accidentally hit the trigger and it went off and he shot his child accidentally. Sad all around.

I'm just wondering why there was a bullet in the chamber and why his hand was on the trigger and why it was pointed directly at his son.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

• Cher53
    by Cher53
    December 10, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Hi I am certified through gun training of course to carry and conceal. My husband and myself have the responsibility at all times to know our guns are on safety. The Father of this child is held to the same responsibility he as a gun owner didn't take the proper steps, if he had this tragedy would have never happened..

• MichelleMc
    December 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM

It is very sad. But as other have said, saying that because one is iresponsible isn't fair to take all guns away from those that are. It should have never been one in the chamber to take it to sell. Also, all he said he didn't know one was in the chamber which means, he wasn't taking all procautions like he should have. ( never having finger on trigger to have pushed it & pointed at his son, etc )You ALWAYS assume every gun is loaded at ALL times. First rule of gun ownership & gun safety.

We own many gun, we carry concealed & our son also shoots. Our son is a NRA Certified Apprentice Instructor & Safety is number one. My husband is an NRA Certified instructor in so many things his card, I tease, is going to continue on the back here soon, LOL.

As someone said with the driving situation, you can't take all driving away because there are those that drive with crazy road rage or drive like a maniac or drink & drive.

The situation is horrible & sad, but it doesn't mean it should be waved in the favor of take all the guns away.

This also happened about 30 minutes from my house. I have been to this gun store many times.

• lullabylily
    December 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I dont care what other people do with guns as everyone has the right to bare guns, BUT ... I dont want guns in my house, period!

• IcU2
    by IcU2
    December 10, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    The bigger issue here is why was a gun being fired in a populated area. When guns are beig treated and handled with respect these things don't happen. A gun should never have been loaded or had the safety removed in a store it most def shouldn't have been fired and whilst I understand this was an accident I hope the store and who ever fired the gun face some serious charges.