Cafe MichelleP
UPDATE Pg 9: 7 -Year-Old Shot to Death: What Is Your Stance on Gun Control?
December 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM

7-Year-Old Shot to Death in His Car Seat Never Had a Chance

Posted by Jeanne Sager

bulletsA 7-year-old boy was shot to death under mysterious circumstances in western Pennsylvania today. The little boy was in his family car, outside a gun store, strapped into his booster seat, when police say a gun somehow fired, hitting the child square in the chest. Cops won't say yet whether the shooting outside Twig's Reloading Den in Mercer was an accident or something done intentionally.

But one thing is clear: that little boy didn't have a chance. He was strapped into his car seat, his dad was backing out of a parking space, and all of a sudden, his life was over.

We're all going to be Monday morning quarterbacking the shooting death of this child, so I want to say right now that my heart goes out to the family of this little boy. Whatever our thoughts on gun control, I hope that every American can come to a point where they agree on that.

A child is gone. His family needs our support.

They also need us all to approach this tragedy with some common sense.

Raised in a rural area, I'm all too aware of why we have the right to bear arms in this country. I know more than my fair share of people who shoot the food that their family eats. The fact is, based on its website, Twig's gun store is a place that caters mostly to hunters. There's a good chance that this was a dad taking his little boy to pick up something so they could go out on an old-fashioned dad and son bonding trip into the woods on a Saturday.

But all that said, this is one more sad story that makes me want to scream from the highest rooftop that people need to be more careful with the guns they own. Anything can happen at anytime. I've seen it in my small town, where people have unwittingly shot friends, employees, children ... because they just weren't careful enough with a loaded weapon.

What we have to remember in this gun debate isn't whether or not we have the right to be armed necessarily but the rights of people like this little boy to be around gun owners without fear.

As they say, with power comes great responsibility. And there are few powers mightier or more dangerous than gun ownership. Your responsibility to be careful and safe with that weapon is quite literally a matter of life or death.

Whatever happened to that little boy today, it was NOT his fault. Whether he touched that gun of whether he was just sitting there, it was the responsibility of that gun's owner to keep that boy safe.

What is your stance on gun control?

Do you think there's a place for gun ownership in this country?

Replies

• MichelleMc
    December 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

First let me say I'm so sorry for the faily of that little boy. I can't imagine What they are going through. I can't imagine losing your child so instantly. But this is the stupidest post ive EVER read! A child getting shot doesnt bring any new light to the debate. It doesnt change anything at all. They havent even said wether it was an accident or not. Guns don't kill people, people kill people! Either someone intentionally shot that little boy OR there was an accident. And in this case if there was an accident it means one of those guns was loaded which it shouldnt have been and then the gun store needs to be in some trouble. But that doesnt mean we should get rid of guns....more people die in car accidents every year should we get rid of those too? 

How in the world should the gun store be in trouble because an idiot had a gun with a bullet in the chamber in his car? Come on people READ.

• catchup29
    December 10, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    It was a horrible mishap. My DH's BFF owns a gun shop. He actually had bullet proof walls and glass in his shop for instances like that.

We own guns, a lot. I have had them my entire life. My kids have had them around since birth. They were educated on the reasons you have weapons and the safe use of them. It's corney and cliche but the truth people kill not the guns.
  • gcstar42
    December 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Just curious where did you get all of this information? (The stuff I highlighted in red) I read through this whole atricle and I am not seeing it?

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting IcU2:

The bigger issue here is why was a gun being fired in a populated area. When guns are beig treated and handled with respect these things don't happen. A gun should never have been loaded or had the safety removed in a store it most def shouldn't have been fired and whilst I understand this was an accident I hope the store and who ever fired the gun face some serious charges.

You didn't even read it did you? Well I know you didn't to write what you did. It wasn't in the store. It wasn't supposed to be fired. The dad thought it was unloaded because he doesn't know how to check the chamber & shouldn't have the gun. Was going to sell it. Went to put it in away in the car, and stupidly, had it pointed towards his son, stupidly put his finger near the trigger without safety on & it went off, shot his son. This all happened in the parking lot.

The store has NOTHING to do with it & the store shouldn't face any charges. The father was the idiot in all of this.

• LoveOfWisdom
    December 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    Where is re rest of this story?
  • etsmom
    by etsmom
    December 10, 2012 at 11:34 AM

If a person can't take the extra minute to secure their weapon, then they shouldn't have a weapon. I don't know why the man had a loaded weapon pointed at his child, but that child is gone because of the man who made a terrible decision . I believe in gun safety, not taking away the rights of gun owners. Kind of like hunting, a person who buys a gun should have to go through gun safety in order to buy.

• MichelleMc
    December 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Quoting MandaRose83:

I grew up 20 minutes away from where this happened. its so sad :-(. Im not one to rant and rave about guns because I dont really care too much about what other people choose to do. I just dont understand why the average pedestrian feels they need to own a gun. If you say its for protection I feel thats an excuse. I think there is something about guns and power and people need to feel powerful. There wont ever be a gun in my home, EVER. Luckily my dh feels the same and he isnt a hunter so there is no need.

Excuse? LOL. Thats funny. I had someone jump out of a car to attack me because he felt I was driving to close until I pulled my gun out of its holster, and didn't even need to point it at him. Just show him I had it. He ran back to his car & flew out of there. Someone was attacked by a hammer for her purse at a gas station. Home Invasions are happening on the rise. And in "non high crime areas" You can live in denial all you want & that is fine if you don't want to have them, but don't try to say that its an excuse for others. You never know or never need one, until you do. Don't take others rights away.

• pipers_mom
    December 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    I'm of the belief that guns don't kill people, people kill people. Trying to blame guns is like trying to blame your pen for your failed test or your fork for making you fat!
  • MagicTemptation
    December 10, 2012 at 11:38 AM

That is terribly sad. However are they going to take away cars because texting and driving or drinking and driving leads to deaths?

• TheMommaJessie
    December 10, 2012 at 11:40 AM

gun shops ARE NOT suppose to have loaded guns in their stores. i own guns & WHEN guns are handled and used correctly there is no risk of killing or hurting children.

• MichelleMc
    December 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Quoting gcstar42:

Just curious where did you get all of this information? (The stuff I highlighted in red) I read through this whole atricle and I am not seeing it?

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting IcU2:

The bigger issue here is why was a gun being fired in a populated area. When guns are beig treated and handled with respect these things don't happen. A gun should never have been loaded or had the safety removed in a store it most def shouldn't have been fired and whilst I understand this was an accident I hope the store and who ever fired the gun face some serious charges.

You didn't even read it did you? Well I know you didn't to write what you did. It wasn't in the store. It wasn't supposed to be fired. The dad thought it was unloaded because he doesn't know how to check the chamber & shouldn't have the gun. Was going to sell it. Went to put it in away in the car, and stupidly, had it pointed towards his son, stupidly put his finger near the trigger without safety on & it went off, shot his son. This all happened in the parking lot.

The store has NOTHING to do with it & the store shouldn't face any charges. The father was the idiot in all of this.

It wouldn't have shot the child if it wasn't pointed at the child. He wouldn't have went off if he wouldn't have had his finger  near the trigger, wouldn't have went off if the safety wasn't on. But I live 30 minutes away & have read it all morning. So I am sure I have read multiple articles all morning about how he thought it was empty, and that there was one in the chamber. Which means, he was an un safe gun handler because it is one of the first things you do, especially if you are going to sell them. Which is what he was going to do. I will add the other articles. I must be merging them together in my brain.