Cafe MichelleP
UPDATE Pg 9: 7 -Year-Old Shot to Death: What Is Your Stance on Gun Control?
December 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM

7-Year-Old Shot to Death in His Car Seat Never Had a Chance

Posted by Jeanne Sager

bulletsA 7-year-old boy was shot to death under mysterious circumstances in western Pennsylvania today. The little boy was in his family car, outside a gun store, strapped into his booster seat, when police say a gun somehow fired, hitting the child square in the chest. Cops won't say yet whether the shooting outside Twig's Reloading Den in Mercer was an accident or something done intentionally.

But one thing is clear: that little boy didn't have a chance. He was strapped into his car seat, his dad was backing out of a parking space, and all of a sudden, his life was over.

We're all going to be Monday morning quarterbacking the shooting death of this child, so I want to say right now that my heart goes out to the family of this little boy. Whatever our thoughts on gun control, I hope that every American can come to a point where they agree on that.

A child is gone. His family needs our support.

They also need us all to approach this tragedy with some common sense.

Raised in a rural area, I'm all too aware of why we have the right to bear arms in this country. I know more than my fair share of people who shoot the food that their family eats. The fact is, based on its website, Twig's gun store is a place that caters mostly to hunters. There's a good chance that this was a dad taking his little boy to pick up something so they could go out on an old-fashioned dad and son bonding trip into the woods on a Saturday.

But all that said, this is one more sad story that makes me want to scream from the highest rooftop that people need to be more careful with the guns they own. Anything can happen at anytime. I've seen it in my small town, where people have unwittingly shot friends, employees, children ... because they just weren't careful enough with a loaded weapon.

What we have to remember in this gun debate isn't whether or not we have the right to be armed necessarily but the rights of people like this little boy to be around gun owners without fear.

As they say, with power comes great responsibility. And there are few powers mightier or more dangerous than gun ownership. Your responsibility to be careful and safe with that weapon is quite literally a matter of life or death.

Whatever happened to that little boy today, it was NOT his fault. Whether he touched that gun of whether he was just sitting there, it was the responsibility of that gun's owner to keep that boy safe.

What is your stance on gun control?

Do you think there's a place for gun ownership in this country?

Replies

• Bonneata
    December 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I feel so awful for this family. I can't imagine the fried they must be going thru? With that said I do not support eliminating the right bear arms. However do support the outlawing of weapons such as the AR15. No one needs an assault rifle for personnel protection or for that matter any type of automatic weapon, I support limits but taking it away all together absolutely not. 

• Aishamusty
    December 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM

It's very sad my heart felt sympathy goes out to the family

• MichelleMc
    December 11, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Quoting Bonneata:

I feel so awful for this family. I can't imagine the fried they must be going thru? With that said I do not support eliminating the right bear arms. However do support the outlawing of weapons such as the AR15. No one needs an assault rifle for personnel protection or for that matter any type of automatic weapon, I support limits but taking it away all together absolutely not. 

They aren't automatic, they are semi. They aren't for personal protection. They are for target shoots, which there are many if you go to gun clubs & participate. No reason to not have one. If you are a criminal you aren't to have any guns, so stopping someone from having one, just stops non criminals from having them, but does NOTHING from criminals. We own one, happily. Banning them did NOTHING but give them to criminals only. Banning them again would only do the same. If a militia or "end of world" situation is where the right to bear arms was more where they were given the rights to the public to begin with, at that time is where personal protection would come into play where alot of people that are into this are into having these, are into target shooting with these to know how to use it.

• Bonneata
    December 11, 2012 at 6:39 PM

My step father is weapon enthusiasts and does not use an automatic or semi automatic weapon for shooting competioins . I am sorry but we don't live in a war zone. In the event a revolution happens this CPU try the last thing I want is everyone and there grandma running around with semi automatic weapons. A pistal yes a hunting rifle I can understand . My point is I can defend myself quite well with a pistal, shot gun or rifle . An ak47 and ar15 or any other weapon like this pointless. Criminals will have guns no matter wtf we do.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting Bonneata:

They aren't automatic, they are semi. They aren't for personal protection. They are for target shoots, which there are many if you go to gun clubs & participate. No reason to not have one. If you are a criminal you aren't to have any guns, so stopping someone from having one, just stops non criminals from having them, but does NOTHING from criminals. We own one, happily. Banning them did NOTHING but give them to criminals only. Banning them again would only do the same. If a militia or "end of world" situation is where the right to bear arms was more where they were given the rights to the public to begin with, at that time is where personal protection would come into play where alot of people that are into this are into having these, are into target shooting with these to know how to use it.

• grace1973
    December 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I think there is a place for responsibile gun ownership.  We have several in our household.  They are very securely locked away and short of blowing up the safe, the kids cannot access them.  That being said, we've ensured that the kids know the dangers of a firearm, as well as how to safely operate them. They know they aren't toys. 

Of course, our old neighbor shot himself in the foot a couple of years ago showing off in his home so yes, the key is it requires a certain level of maturity to possess a firearm.  Sadly, many people that own them are deficient there. 

• USCGAMECOCK92
    December 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns can't fire by themselves. As a female who has grown up around guns and avid hunters, I learned at a very young age to respect guns and how to handle them appropriately. And now being married to an avid hunter and having a 3 year old daughter in the house, keeping our guns locked in a gun safe and out of her reach are extremely important to us. Gun owners have to be responsible for their guns and keep them locked up and out the hands of children, plus teach their kids to respect guns and that guns aren't play toys. Anyway the only guns that should be outlawed are assault rifles like AK-47's, which are only used for one thing, and that's killing people. Don't take guns away from responsible gun owners!! Take them away from people who only want to use them for harm!!
  • 7ginger
    by 7ginger
    December 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Your point is well taken. It is the responsibility of the gun owner to ensure safety first. If you ask that dad if he could do anything differently would he? That imbecile would pause. His gun is more important to him then his child. After all, he can have another child, but no one gets the gun out of his hand. Unfortunately, this the the mind set of these ignoramuses. Its sad that hunting and killling a helpless animal is a bonding adventure. Oh, wait, I have an idea. Take your child to church or volunteer in a homeless shelter. Now thats showing your son what a real man does.

• Serenity8310
    December 13, 2012 at 10:26 PM
    This is a sad situation. I feel for the boy. Guns should of never been invented because no one not even military or goverments should have a right to bare arms. Other then hunting what positive things have come from guns? Don't tell me guns are needed in wars because wars are not needed

Quoting avaandemmasmom:

Ummmm what?? 

Quoting Serenity8310:

My stance is that no one not government not army nor citizens should bare arms. You don't see Canadians bare arms. I feel sorry for the boy and guns should of never been invented. They fall into moronic hands. The dad was probably on Prozac just like the proball player just up and shot his wife.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Posted by Jeanne Sager

bulletsA 7-year-old boy was shot to death under mysterious circumstances in western Pennsylvania today. The little boy was in his family car, outside a gun store,

strapped into his booster seat, when police say a gun somehow fired,

hitting the child square in the chest. Cops won't say yet whether the

shooting outside Twig's Reloading Den in Mercer was an accident or something done intentionally.

But one thing is clear: that little boy didn't have a chance. He was

strapped into his car seat, his dad was backing out of a parking space,

and all of a sudden, his life was over.

We're all going to be Monday morning quarterbacking the shooting death of this child,

so I want to say right now that my heart goes out to the family of this

little boy. Whatever our thoughts on gun control, I hope that every

American can come to a point where they agree on that.

Raised in a rural area, I'm all too aware of why we have the right to bear arms

in this country. I know more than my fair share of people who shoot the

food that their family eats. The fact is, based on its website, Twig's gun store

is a place that caters mostly to hunters. There's a good chance that

this was a dad taking his little boy to pick up something so they could

go out on an old-fashioned dad and son bonding trip into the woods on a

Saturday.

But all that said, this is one more sad story that makes me want to

scream from the highest rooftop that people need to be more careful with

the guns they own. Anything can happen at anytime. I've seen it in my

small town, where people have unwittingly shot friends, employees,

children ... because they just weren't careful enough with a loaded weapon.

What we have to remember in this gun debate isn't

whether or not we have the right to be armed necessarily but the rights

of people like this little boy to be around gun owners without fear.

As they say, with power comes great responsibility. And there are few

powers mightier or more dangerous than gun ownership. Your

responsibility to be careful and safe with that weapon is quite

literally a matter of life or death.

Whatever happened to that little boy today, it was NOT his fault.

Whether he touched that gun of whether he was just sitting there, it was

the responsibility of that gun's owner to keep that boy safe.

• avaandemmasmom
    December 18, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Yes they are especially in war, what are our soldiers supposed to do when they have Iraqi's or Afghans Shooting at them?? Throw rocks at them ....

Quoting Serenity8310:

This is a sad situation. I feel for the boy. Guns should of never been invented because no one not even military or goverments should have a right to bare arms. Other then hunting what positive things have come from guns? Don't tell me guns are needed in wars because wars are not needed

Quoting avaandemmasmom:

Ummmm what?? 

Quoting Serenity8310:

My stance is that no one not government not army nor citizens should bare arms. You don't see Canadians bare arms. I feel sorry for the boy and guns should of never been invented. They fall into moronic hands. The dad was probably on Prozac just like the proball player just up and shot his wife.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Posted by Jeanne Sager

bulletsA 7-year-old boy was shot to death under mysterious circumstances in western Pennsylvania today. The little boy was in his family car, outside a gun store,

strapped into his booster seat, when police say a gun somehow fired,

hitting the child square in the chest. Cops won't say yet whether the

shooting outside Twig's Reloading Den in Mercer was an accident or something done intentionally.

But one thing is clear: that little boy didn't have a chance. He was

strapped into his car seat, his dad was backing out of a parking space,

and all of a sudden, his life was over.

We're all going to be Monday morning quarterbacking the shooting death of this child,

so I want to say right now that my heart goes out to the family of this

little boy. Whatever our thoughts on gun control, I hope that every

American can come to a point where they agree on that.

Raised in a rural area, I'm all too aware of why we have the right to bear arms

in this country. I know more than my fair share of people who shoot the

food that their family eats. The fact is, based on its website, Twig's gun store

is a place that caters mostly to hunters. There's a good chance that

this was a dad taking his little boy to pick up something so they could

go out on an old-fashioned dad and son bonding trip into the woods on a

Saturday.

But all that said, this is one more sad story that makes me want to

scream from the highest rooftop that people need to be more careful with

the guns they own. Anything can happen at anytime. I've seen it in my

small town, where people have unwittingly shot friends, employees,

children ... because they just weren't careful enough with a loaded weapon.

What we have to remember in this gun debate isn't

whether or not we have the right to be armed necessarily but the rights

of people like this little boy to be around gun owners without fear.

As they say, with power comes great responsibility. And there are few

powers mightier or more dangerous than gun ownership. Your

responsibility to be careful and safe with that weapon is quite

literally a matter of life or death.

Whatever happened to that little boy today, it was NOT his fault.

Whether he touched that gun of whether he was just sitting there, it was

the responsibility of that gun's owner to keep that boy safe.

• Angel_Red7
    December 18, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I think there needs to be more laws. Like I don't think you should be able to buy a gun at a pawn shop. I think there needs to be stricter laws on who can sell guns. But also laws to make sure certain steps are taken. For instance a lot of times there should be a 30 day wait before purchasing a gun as the seller does things such as a background check. There is not even half that follow that law. I don't think anyone needs an assault rifle. 

I am for guns. Guns don't kill, people do. The recent shooting in Connecticut has people wanting to ban guns. BUT what if someone else that day had a gun. Would less people have died? 

You can "ban" guns or make stricter laws but there will continue to beblackmarkets. 

Also, public places such as schools or malls or movie theaters are places that weapons are not allowed. Soooo...... It is appealing to someone who is looking to go on a killing spree. 

I think training courses should be set in place before purchasing a gun.

But again, not everyone can be controlled.