Cafe MichelleP
UPDATE Pg 9: 7 -Year-Old Shot to Death: What Is Your Stance on Gun Control?
December 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM

7-Year-Old Shot to Death in His Car Seat Never Had a Chance

Posted by Jeanne Sager

bulletsA 7-year-old boy was shot to death under mysterious circumstances in western Pennsylvania today. The little boy was in his family car, outside a gun store, strapped into his booster seat, when police say a gun somehow fired, hitting the child square in the chest. Cops won't say yet whether the shooting outside Twig's Reloading Den in Mercer was an accident or something done intentionally.

But one thing is clear: that little boy didn't have a chance. He was strapped into his car seat, his dad was backing out of a parking space, and all of a sudden, his life was over.

We're all going to be Monday morning quarterbacking the shooting death of this child, so I want to say right now that my heart goes out to the family of this little boy. Whatever our thoughts on gun control, I hope that every American can come to a point where they agree on that.

A child is gone. His family needs our support.

They also need us all to approach this tragedy with some common sense.

Raised in a rural area, I'm all too aware of why we have the right to bear arms in this country. I know more than my fair share of people who shoot the food that their family eats. The fact is, based on its website, Twig's gun store is a place that caters mostly to hunters. There's a good chance that this was a dad taking his little boy to pick up something so they could go out on an old-fashioned dad and son bonding trip into the woods on a Saturday.

But all that said, this is one more sad story that makes me want to scream from the highest rooftop that people need to be more careful with the guns they own. Anything can happen at anytime. I've seen it in my small town, where people have unwittingly shot friends, employees, children ... because they just weren't careful enough with a loaded weapon.

What we have to remember in this gun debate isn't whether or not we have the right to be armed necessarily but the rights of people like this little boy to be around gun owners without fear.

As they say, with power comes great responsibility. And there are few powers mightier or more dangerous than gun ownership. Your responsibility to be careful and safe with that weapon is quite literally a matter of life or death.

Whatever happened to that little boy today, it was NOT his fault. Whether he touched that gun of whether he was just sitting there, it was the responsibility of that gun's owner to keep that boy safe.

What is your stance on gun control?

Do you think there's a place for gun ownership in this country?

Replies

• Serenity8310
    December 18, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    Moron how about not go to war idiot. You are saying its ok for Obama to kill innocent kids over seas but massacres that happen at home are not ok . Smdh

Quoting avaandemmasmom:

Yes they are especially in war, what are our soldiers supposed to do when they have Iraqi's or Afghans Shooting at them?? Throw rocks at them ....

Quoting Serenity8310:

This is a sad situation. I feel for the boy. Guns should of never been invented because no one not even military or goverments should have a right to bare arms. Other then hunting what positive things have come from guns? Don't tell me guns are needed in wars because wars are not needed

Quoting avaandemmasmom:

Ummmm what?? 

Quoting Serenity8310:

My stance is that no one not government not army nor citizens should bare arms. You don't see Canadians bare arms. I feel sorry for the boy and guns should of never been invented. They fall into moronic hands. The dad was probably on Prozac just like the proball player just up and shot his wife.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Posted by Jeanne Sager

bulletsA 7-year-old boy was shot to death under mysterious circumstances in western Pennsylvania today. The little boy was in his family car, outside a gun store,

strapped into his booster seat, when police say a gun somehow fired,

hitting the child square in the chest. Cops won't say yet whether the

shooting outside Twig's Reloading Den in Mercer was an accident or something done intentionally.

But one thing is clear: that little boy didn't have a chance. He was

strapped into his car seat, his dad was backing out of a parking space,

and all of a sudden, his life was over.

We're all going to be Monday morning quarterbacking the shooting death of this child,

so I want to say right now that my heart goes out to the family of this

little boy. Whatever our thoughts on gun control, I hope that every

American can come to a point where they agree on that.

Raised in a rural area, I'm all too aware of why we have the right to bear arms

in this country. I know more than my fair share of people who shoot the

food that their family eats. The fact is, based on its website, Twig's gun store

is a place that caters mostly to hunters. There's a good chance that

this was a dad taking his little boy to pick up something so they could

go out on an old-fashioned dad and son bonding trip into the woods on a

Saturday.

But all that said, this is one more sad story that makes me want to

scream from the highest rooftop that people need to be more careful with

the guns they own. Anything can happen at anytime. I've seen it in my

small town, where people have unwittingly shot friends, employees,

children ... because they just weren't careful enough with a loaded weapon.

What we have to remember in this gun debate isn't

whether or not we have the right to be armed necessarily but the rights

of people like this little boy to be around gun owners without fear.

As they say, with power comes great responsibility. And there are few

powers mightier or more dangerous than gun ownership. Your

responsibility to be careful and safe with that weapon is quite

literally a matter of life or death.

Whatever happened to that little boy today, it was NOT his fault.

Whether he touched that gun of whether he was just sitting there, it was

the responsibility of that gun's owner to keep that boy safe.

• Serenity8310
    December 18, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    At statement like yours is what's wrong with your country. There should be a vaccine to stupidity.

Quoting avaandemmasmom:

Yes they are especially in war, what are our soldiers supposed to do when they have Iraqi's or Afghans Shooting at them?? Throw rocks at them ....

Quoting Serenity8310:

This is a sad situation. I feel for the boy. Guns should of never been invented because no one not even military or goverments should have a right to bare arms. Other then hunting what positive things have come from guns? Don't tell me guns are needed in wars because wars are not needed

Quoting avaandemmasmom:

Ummmm what?? 

Quoting Serenity8310:

My stance is that no one not government not army nor citizens should bare arms. You don't see Canadians bare arms. I feel sorry for the boy and guns should of never been invented. They fall into moronic hands. The dad was probably on Prozac just like the proball player just up and shot his wife.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Posted by Jeanne Sager

bulletsA 7-year-old boy was shot to death under mysterious circumstances in western Pennsylvania today. The little boy was in his family car, outside a gun store,

shooting outside Twig's Reloading Den in Mercer was an accident or something done intentionally.

We're all going to be Monday morning quarterbacking the shooting death of this child,

food that their family eats. The fact is, based on its website, Twig's gun store

Saturday.

• Serenity8310
    December 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    Just go back and be a puppet to your government .

Quoting avaandemmasmom:

Quoting Serenity8310:

Quoting avaandemmasmom:

Ummmm what?? 

Quoting Serenity8310:

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Posted by Jeanne Sager

Saturday.

• Cher53
    by Cher53
    January 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Exactly and that is when these things occur I feel bad for the Father but have heard some weird things on the internet like he was seen pointing this gun at the child? This came from one of his neghbors, I am still looking into this...Cher53

Quoting MissyMom3:

Quoting Cher53:

Hi I am certified through gun training of course to carry and conceal. My husband and myself have the responsibility at all times to know our guns are on safety. The Father of this child is held to the same responsibility he as a gun owner didn't take the proper steps, if he had this tragedy would have never happened..

I have completed CC training, as well, and am awaiting my permit.  The biggest problem, and the thing that seems to be the most common in these situations, is a lack of training.  People assume that the gun is unloaded when the magazine is empty or out.  They forget, or don't know, that once you rack that slide, there is a bullet in the chamber & that gun is "live".

• MissyMom3
    January 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Quoting Cher53:

Exactly and that is when these things occur I feel bad for the Father but have heard some weird things on the internet like he was seen pointing this gun at the child? This came from one of his neghbors, I am still looking into this...Cher53

Quoting MissyMom3:

Quoting Cher53:

Hi I am certified through gun training of course to carry and conceal. My husband and myself have the responsibility at all times to know our guns are on safety. The Father of this child is held to the same responsibility he as a gun owner didn't take the proper steps, if he had this tragedy would have never happened..

I have completed CC training, as well, and am awaiting my permit.  The biggest problem, and the thing that seems to be the most common in these situations, is a lack of training.  People assume that the gun is unloaded when the magazine is empty or out.  They forget, or don't know, that once you rack that slide, there is a bullet in the chamber & that gun is "live".

Where things go wrong, typically, is when someone who has never owned a gun thinks they can just go buy one & read a book on how to clean it & load it.  Then they put it on a shelf & forget about it.  Maybe pull it out once in a while to clean it.  But they don't go get training on how to use it.  The FIRST RULE of gun safety is "NEVER point a gun, loaded or not, at ANYTHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO DESTROY."  Common sense & education are seriously lacking.

• Cher53
    by Cher53
    January 12, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Hearing that loud and clear...

Quoting MissyMom3:

Quoting Cher53:

Quoting MissyMom3:

Quoting Cher53:

Where things go wrong, typically, is when someone who has never owned a gun thinks they can just go buy one & read a book on how to clean it & load it.  Then they put it on a shelf & forget about it.  Maybe pull it out once in a while to clean it.  But they don't go get training on how to use it.  The FIRST RULE of gun safety is "NEVER point a gun, loaded or not, at ANYTHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO DESTROY."  Common sense & education are seriously lacking.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts