Featured Posts
Cafe MichelleP
UPDATE Pg 9: 7 -Year-Old Shot to Death: What Is Your Stance on Gun Control?
December 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM

7-Year-Old Shot to Death in His Car Seat Never Had a Chance

Posted by Jeanne Sager

bulletsA 7-year-old boy was shot to death under mysterious circumstances in western Pennsylvania today. The little boy was in his family car, outside a gun store, strapped into his booster seat, when police say a gun somehow fired, hitting the child square in the chest. Cops won't say yet whether the shooting outside Twig's Reloading Den in Mercer was an accident or something done intentionally.

But one thing is clear: that little boy didn't have a chance. He was strapped into his car seat, his dad was backing out of a parking space, and all of a sudden, his life was over.

We're all going to be Monday morning quarterbacking the shooting death of this child, so I want to say right now that my heart goes out to the family of this little boy. Whatever our thoughts on gun control, I hope that every American can come to a point where they agree on that.

A child is gone. His family needs our support.

They also need us all to approach this tragedy with some common sense.

Raised in a rural area, I'm all too aware of why we have the right to bear arms in this country. I know more than my fair share of people who shoot the food that their family eats. The fact is, based on its website, Twig's gun store is a place that caters mostly to hunters. There's a good chance that this was a dad taking his little boy to pick up something so they could go out on an old-fashioned dad and son bonding trip into the woods on a Saturday.

But all that said, this is one more sad story that makes me want to scream from the highest rooftop that people need to be more careful with the guns they own. Anything can happen at anytime. I've seen it in my small town, where people have unwittingly shot friends, employees, children ... because they just weren't careful enough with a loaded weapon.

What we have to remember in this gun debate isn't whether or not we have the right to be armed necessarily but the rights of people like this little boy to be around gun owners without fear.

As they say, with power comes great responsibility. And there are few powers mightier or more dangerous than gun ownership. Your responsibility to be careful and safe with that weapon is quite literally a matter of life or death.

Whatever happened to that little boy today, it was NOT his fault. Whether he touched that gun of whether he was just sitting there, it was the responsibility of that gun's owner to keep that boy safe.

What is your stance on gun control?

Do you think there's a place for gun ownership in this country?

Replies

• splatz
    by splatz
    December 11, 2012 at 3:17 AM
    This whole situation is just really sad.
  • Jessy613
    December 11, 2012 at 8:18 AM

That is really really sad.

• LeifsMom04
    December 11, 2012 at 8:19 AM

More people are killed on the roads by cars...yet I don't hear anyone screaming "CAR CONTROL" "TAKE THE CARS AWAY"  Drunk drivers get little more than a slap on the wrist.  Why take away the rights of all because of the follies of few?  I feel for this family...I can't imagine what they are going through.  But your (collective your) mistakes aren't mine and I refuse to pay for your lack of responsibility

• suetoo
    by suetoo
    December 11, 2012 at 9:03 AM

If guns are controlled (AKA made illegal).....Only criminals will have guns. Responsible gun ownership doesn't hit the news, just the drunk, or doped or stupid people who are irresponsible idiots about gun safety and think the gun 'makes me the man' or that 'waving it gives me the power'. First thing I learned about gun safety? That I never touched a gun unless I looked and made sure it wasn't loaded, or to see if it had a round in the chamber. This story is so sad, but don't blame the gun.

• supercarp
    December 11, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Unfortunatley there is no law against stupid people owning guns.

• Luvmybooskies
    December 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM

The problem is irresponsible people. Anyone with COMMON gun knowledge knows a loaded gun should be locked in a safe, in your holster, or pointed at your target. More importantly the safety should stay on until you are aiming and about to shoot. I know not all guns have a safety, but I will put money on the fact that this one did. Why the hell was their a round in the chamber?  Then there's the big one...ALWAYS TREAT YOUR GUN AS IF IT'S LOADED! Idk if you just purchased it and you know it's not loaded, heck even if it's taken apart and impossible to even shoot, you don't point the barrow in any one's direction. This is terrible. An innocent child is dead because his father is ignorant. My hubby wants to take our DD skeet shooting  (not to let her shoot, but have her release the targets and watch) however I will never allow it because although my husband has taught me gun safety and I know how serious he takes/ follows it (he's a certified NRA instructor), it's other people I don't trust. 

• Luvmybooskies
    December 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Yup, I'll never forget the day my hubby came home with his first gun. The first thing he did was open it up to show me there wasn't a round in the chamber. He does this every time his gun comes out! Even when it was taken apart and he was trying to teach me the different parts, he stressed that I needed to make sure I never pointed it at myself or his direction. He taught me that you ALWAYS handle a gun as if it's loaded. I know the father will have to live with this guilt for the rest of his life, but I'm sorry it was his negligence that caused his son's death and I think he should be charged. It's not like the kid got the key to the safe and managed to get the gun out. He didn't run out onto a firing range, and the child wasn't caught up in some sort of altercation where the dad shot his gun in self defense and the son was accidentally killed. He did so many things wrong and IMO should face charges. 

Quoting suetoo:

If guns are controlled (AKA made illegal).....Only criminals will have guns. Responsible gun ownership doesn't hit the news, just the drunk, or doped or stupid people who are irresponsible idiots about gun safety and think the gun 'makes me the man' or that 'waving it gives me the power'. First thing I learned about gun safety? That I never touched a gun unless I looked and made sure it wasn't loaded, or to see if it had a round in the chamber. This story is so sad, but don't blame the gun.

• fantasticfour
    December 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

This story is tragic but the actual questions you have are profound ones as well.  Something alot of people have strong opinions, me especially.

I don't mind gun control.  If they ENFORCED the laws already in place then there shouldn't be a problem.  Adding more laws that no one enforces is not going to do anything.

A place for gun ownership in the country?  I don't know what that means, but I do know that I own a 9 mm concealed pistol that I carry all the time.  It is loaded with hollowpoints, ready to shoot with the exception of the safety.  All I have to do is flip the safety and pull the trigger.  When it is NOT in my holster it is either in my gun safe which is passcode protected next to my bed or in my hand at a range. 

Responsible gun ownership should be key here, not whether or not someone should control the guns of others.

• delanna6two
    December 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM

so sorry to hear this...

• Acalhoun
    December 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I like your perspective.  Too many people want to ban guns because of tragic incidents like this one.  Trying to eliminate the supply of guns is a fruitless task. 1) because you'll never be able to get rid of guns due to underground markets.  2) because it is not the guns that cause the accidents, it is the people wielding them.

The Gun Control war is a good example of how society goes after the wrong thing.  Yes, these accidents are tragic. Yes they are preventable. No, it is not by eliminating the guns. 

We would have better luck cutting down on the number of accidents if we could figure out how to make sure all gun owners are well educated on the proper handling of their weapons, including the proper safety measures for keeping them out of children's and teen's hands.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN