OliviasMommy611
Swimming
December 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Can your child swim? How old are they and did they have lessons?

Replies

• goddess99
    December 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Her bio dad taught her. And my mom has a pool so she has always had access to water.

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Awesome. How did she learn than?

Quoting goddess99:

My dd can swim, She did take lessons but she could already swim before the lessons. She's 10 and has been swimming her whole life.

• marchantmom06
    December 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    It's really not that hard. If they can kick their legs and hold their breath they learn quickly. I have mostly summer or early spring babies so they are in the water from a very very early age. 3-4 weeks depending on when their cords fall off. The hardest one to train was my 4 year old and he was 22 months but he was a slow learner at everything.

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Wow! Never heard of someone swimming that early!

Quoting marchantmom06:

All ours except the 5 day old can swim. They can usually fully swim above and below the water by 15-18 months. We have pools and they are in the water from an early age.

• OliviasMommy611
    December 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    Oh how great

Quoting goddess99:

Her bio dad taught her. And my mom has a pool so she has always had access to water.

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Awesome. How did she learn than?

Quoting goddess99:

My dd can swim, She did take lessons but she could already swim before the lessons. She's 10 and has been swimming her whole life.

• DixieFlower
    December 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM

No neither of my sons can swim. They are 25 months and almost 4 yrs old.

• bertie4
    by bertie4
    December 7, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Yes, They are grown now but when at the babysitters long time ago, they learned. She had a pool and a daughter who helped. 

• suetoo
    by suetoo
    December 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM

My grandaughter was in the lake off our dock at 2. Learning to stand and hold the dock. And splash. Then the next summer, used a swim vest, then floaties, and then, suddenly swam across the family above ground pool without any help. The first lessons were about swim danger, and we found a wonderfull book about Stewie the Duck Learning to Swim. I think her parents will take her to lessons at the high school pool next summer. Years ago, we had a toddler drown just down lake from us, she was in the care of a 12 yr old cousin who lost track of her. It  takes only a moment so we believe swim lessons are really important.

• LivinDeadGurl
    December 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

My oldest can. She taught herself at 11.

• delanna6two
    December 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

not yet

• SlapItHigh
    December 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM

My older two (7 and 9) can and they have taken lessons for years.  My 3yo can't.  We are overdue for lessons, will start them in the new year.

• kimied
    by kimied
    December 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM

My youngest is 5 and Ive been teaching him to swim. He is gettin quite good too, even without expensive classes. We pratically live in the water during summertime!