Cafe MichelleP
Ladies, What Do You REALLY Want For Christmas From Your Man?
December 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Hey, Guys! Here's What Women REALLY Want for Christmas

Posted by Jacqueline Burt

presents christmas treeOkay, not to make a sweeping generalization here, but guys suck at presents. Calm down, I'm not talkin' bout all of y'all -- some of you are actually seem to get into the whole process of searching for the perfect gift for your wives or girlfriends.

But let's be honest -- most men are the type who spend the last couple of days before Christmas wandering around the mall in a daze, staring with panicked confusion at anything sparkly/pink/fruity-smelling: Does that look like something she would want? I don't know what it is, but it's shiny and it reeks of perfume in this store and -- hey, gift wrap is free?! Sold!

So, yeah. Want the bad news first?

She probably won't be thrilled when she opens up that random, shiny, last-minute purchase. She'll probably be weird and distant and irritable and sad for at least a week or two, until she convinces herself you'll redeem yourself on Valentine's Day, of course you will, you're not a bad guy, after all.

More from The Stir: 12 Things a Wife Should Never Say to Her Husband

But here's the good news: This year, you can avoid this common holiday couples' conflict!

Because I'm gonna go ahead and reveal what we women REALLY want for Christmas/Hannukah/Festivus, etc.

1. Something that makes us feel like you think we're incredibly beautiful. Maybe it's jewelry, maybe it's lingerie, maybe it's a scarf -- just SOMETHING that says "I love looking at you."

2. Something that makes us feel like you think we're incredibly smart. Maybe it's a first edition copy of The Catcher in the Rye, maybe it's a month of philosophy lectures, maybe it's a subscription to the NY Times. This gift should say, "I value your intellect and opinion."

3. Something that makes us feel like you think we're incredibly funny. Maybe it's a silly t-shirt or an ironic wall-hanging or a box of witty note cards -- something that says "You make me laugh."

4. Something that makes us feel like you think we're incredibly good at being a mom. Maybe it's a bracelet with a charm for each kid, maybe it's a framed family portrait, maybe it's a studio recording of your kids singing a song just for her. (Okay, maybe that last one is asking for a lot, but you get the idea.)

5. Something that makes us feel like you think we're incredibly deserving of a break. Maybe it's a day at the spa, maybe it's a personal chef for a week, maybe it's a month-long tropical getaway with her girlfriends. (Okay, maybe that last one is asking for a lot, but you get the idea.)

Happy shopping, boys!!

Ladies, what do you REALLY want for Christmas from your man?

Replies

• RADmomma
    December 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM

We are just doing a few small gifts for each other this year. We dont need much and would rather make sure the girls have everything they need.

Then after the first of the year we will splurge on things that we need for the house that are not really good things for Christmas... like a new vacuum LOL.

• Cafe MichelleP
    December 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM

OH, I really need a new vacuum too oh and a crock pot. Im practical like that.  :)

Quoting RADmomma:

We are just doing a few small gifts for each other this year. We dont need much and would rather make sure the girls have everything they need.

Then after the first of the year we will splurge on things that we need for the house that are not really good things for Christmas... like a new vacuum LOL.

• RADmomma
    December 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM

yeah we just dont need anymore 'stuff" but there are household things we defintely need...so after the holidays are over and the Christmas shopping hussle has died down... we will go get those things.  vacuum, toaster oven...I do need a new blowdyer though.... hmm...

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

OH, I really need a new vacuum too oh and a crock pot. Im practical like that.  :)

Quoting RADmomma:

• nana9106
    December 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM

What I really want is new furniture. My DH is usually very good at presents and knows me well, and he should, we have been married for 20 years. He was hinting around to my DD about a spa day....which would be the BOMB! 

• Mama2JoshKatie
    December 3, 2012 at 12:29 PM

A baby

Technically that would also be my gift to him.

• ColtsFan1912
    December 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I want an Andrew Luck jersey myself

• Bethy16
    by Bethy16
    December 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    I want a puppy :)
  • MistressMinerva
    December 3, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I want a new flat screen tv.

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    December 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I don't want anything for Christmas - I never do.

• goddess99
    December 3, 2012 at 6:40 PM

A weekend at my favorite hotel and shopping.