Featured Posts
KeheleyLayna
I have a mouse problem. Anyone who can help?
December 2, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Well, mice problem. My family and I live in townhouse apartments, and we have mice problems for the past 3 years.

We do live next to a field, which is part of the problem, but during cold seasons, I guess they're just trying to find warmth and food.

I have complained to the managers, and they say all they can do is set up traps.

We have been buying our own sticky traps, and they have been working. We also borrowed my friends cat for the night, which worked.

This is getting ridiculous, not to mention we have a 2.5 year old daughter and I do not want her around any mice or mice droppings, let alone neither I nor my husband want to live like this.

Is there anything legal we can make them do to fix the problem? Can we get out of our lease early because of this?

Ive talked to all of my neighbors in our building, and none of them have mice problems. My house is clean. We dont leave food out, and our box and bag food (like cereal and pasta and sugar) are in plastic containers.

Thanks! Sorry so long. =(

Replies

• stacefaceninja
    December 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I don't know, but it sounds like "vermin infestation" SHOULD be covered under your rental agreement...lol...I'm sorry:( I used to have the same problem in my old apartment. I used the sticky traps...and if someone freaks out over that, leave me your number, and next time I have mice, you can come over and get them for me. Mice can squeeze themselves completely flat to fit through spaces....make sure you go around and check ALL the little nooks and crannies, and seal them..tightly. Surely someone has to do something...I would pitch a fit!

• KeheleyLayna
    December 2, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Thanks for your reply. DH is pretty mad about it. Its been going on for too long for us to keep putting up with it. I have a feeling where they are coming in from, but its just weird they keep coming in our apartment, and not anyone elses.

• endoftheworld
    December 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Get one of these! Problem solved!

• endoftheworld
    December 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I have 5 cats and 2 dogs. Mice avoid our house like the plague!!!!

• goddess99
    December 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I don't know about legal avenues you could take but I know if you put opened boxes of dryer sheets around the house the mice likely won't come in, they don't like the smell. Your house will smell nice though.

• KeheleyLayna
    December 2, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Can't get a cat. DH is allergic, plus neither of us are cat people, and we cant afford to get a dog, I just lost my job last week. I will try the dryer sheets though. =)

• PinkButterfly66
    December 2, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Look around pipes coming into house for gaps and other places and seal with foam sealant.  Our mice come into the house from the crawl space up into the kitchen from where the hole is for the water pipes.  We have cats, so the cats take care of any mice that come into the house.  

• GimmieMoKimmy
    December 2, 2012 at 9:52 PM
    If you haven't already, file your complaints in writing to management. If they still fail to bring out an exterminator and do maintance to locate and patch holes then put your rent in escrow.

Also, file requests with your city/county to perform a compliance inspection of the property/unit and request a rubout for that field.
  • xoxochrismskye
    December 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Totally agree...my bff does this in her garage in the winter time to keep the mice out of the stuff she has in storage.  

• Momma-2boys
    December 3, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    Your leasing office should hire a company to come check out the situation you might of had a mommy and now they are mating like crazy. Yes you should be able to break the lease call your local health department they should be able to help you
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts