Featured Posts
smallDuck94
confused!!!
December 2, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Everyone telling me diffrent when do i give my baby cereal and baby food? How do i know he likes it or dont? and if he dont like it should i try it again later so he wont be a picky eater? my son is going to be 4 months on the 11 i dont know if i have time to stack up a little on baby food or cereal? 

Replies

• MistressMinerva
    December 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I think it's fine just start out a little bit at a time. Try different ones and see which ones he likes the most. Trust me if he doesn't like it most babies will spit it out...lol. You can add a little baby cereal to his milk so that way it fills him up more and is not constantly drinking just milk.

• goddess99
    December 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I think 4 months is too soon. I would ask your doctor when they recommend starting that. My dd liked several different kinds. When it's time buy a couple a try them out.

• splatz
    by splatz
    December 2, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Ask your pedi. I believe it is 6 months now before solids?

• splatz
    by splatz
    December 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Oh and as far as not liking it... It takes awhile for babies to aquire tastes. Just keep offering the food to him. :)

• GimmieMoKimmy
    December 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    I breastfed exclusively until 6mos. My LO showed an interest in solids around then so I introduced her to a few things. She did a few meals then went back to breastfeeding exclusively until 9mos and has been eating solids since.

I nvr used cereals and I never gave her baby food.

During meals I gave her what I was having in easy-to-grasp form. Anything she showed an interest in tasting I let her taste. For the most part I let her feed herself and I don't force foods, but will try to encourage her to try things I notice she frequently avoids.

-If baby doesn't like it it will be on the floor or you, lol
    -I've tried giving foods that at one meal of the day she will come no where near then the next meal all she will eat. Don't worry about picky eating. Sometimes he may not be in the mood for certain flavors/textures. Let him explore. Our role in feeding them is far less simple than some make it out to be.
  • cstargarner
    December 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Don't give him either until 6 months at least.  They don't need it before then.  People who give it earlier are doing it for themselves.  Earlier than 6 months can be hard for them to digest since their bodies are still developing.  Ask your pedi to give you a scehedule to introduce food when you go to your 6 month appt.  We did rice cereal first, and gave it to him a very tiny amt (1 tbsp I think?) at a time every day for 3-5 days, then gave him a different kind of cereal, just that cereal the same way..  We did veggies the next week, one at a time with just a little bit to introduce it and did for a few days to make sure he wasn't allergic to it, (green beans, peas first so he'll get used to more veggie flavors, then squash, sweet potatoes, and carrots), After weeks  you'll get through all those (can add in others if you find others or if you make your own like I did), and you can start fruits, trying one at a time for a few days so you can tell if he has an allergy (my son is allergic to eggplant and other things- but that's the wierdest, and I never would have known if I didn't introduce foods one at a time.  I think around 9 months we added in meats but it may have been later.  After introducing everything, we gradually gave him a little more and little more.  His meals eventually got to where he'd have for breakfast a grain (cereal) and fruit, for lunch would have fruit and veggie, then dinner would have meat, fruit, and veggie.  Eventually his dr added meat to lunch too and at 3 1/2 that's still the basic food plan we follow (obviously big kid food, not baby food now), but that helps me make sure he gets a balanced diet.  But ask your pedi.  Don't follow what crazy strangers say online! lol.  Doctors will reccomend different things for different kids.  Like my son since he has allergies, I did each food for more like 5+ days instead of the 3+ that she said she reccomends normally.    HTH.

• fgeith05
    December 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM

i started feeding my son cereal from a spoon not a bottle at about 3-4 months. He didnt eat much at first. But my daughter wouldnt eat anything til about 6 months. If your baby is gaining weight at a healthy rate then i would just stick to formula or breast milk. Sometimes it takes a couple times of feeding for them to know whats going on. Good luck!

• amber_jean101
    December 4, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I gave all of my kids baby food at 4 months! Trust me you know what the baby likes and what they can handle... I would try it and if he likes it and seems fine keep giving it to him but i would only start out with half a small jar! but as always I always tell everyone you do what you think is right as a mother he is your baby and mamas know best!

• Janet
    by Janet
    December 4, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Good advice!

Quoting cstargarner:

Don't give him either until 6 months at least.  They don't need it before then.  People who give it earlier are doing it for themselves.  Earlier than 6 months can be hard for them to digest since their bodies are still developing.  Ask your pedi to give you a scehedule to introduce food when you go to your 6 month appt.  We did rice cereal first, and gave it to him a very tiny amt (1 tbsp I think?) at a time every day for 3-5 days, then gave him a different kind of cereal, just that cereal the same way..  We did veggies the next week, one at a time with just a little bit to introduce it and did for a few days to make sure he wasn't allergic to it, (green beans, peas first so he'll get used to more veggie flavors, then squash, sweet potatoes, and carrots), After weeks  you'll get through all those (can add in others if you find others or if you make your own like I did), and you can start fruits, trying one at a time for a few days so you can tell if he has an allergy (my son is allergic to eggplant and other things- but that's the wierdest, and I never would have known if I didn't introduce foods one at a time.  I think around 9 months we added in meats but it may have been later.  After introducing everything, we gradually gave him a little more and little more.  His meals eventually got to where he'd have for breakfast a grain (cereal) and fruit, for lunch would have fruit and veggie, then dinner would have meat, fruit, and veggie.  Eventually his dr added meat to lunch too and at 3 1/2 that's still the basic food plan we follow (obviously big kid food, not baby food now), but that helps me make sure he gets a balanced diet.  But ask your pedi.  Don't follow what crazy strangers say online! lol.  Doctors will reccomend different things for different kids.  Like my son since he has allergies, I did each food for more like 5+ days instead of the 3+ that she said she reccomends normally.    HTH.

• Rhiannon1980
    December 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    My ds was 6-7 months when we started solids. When he didn't like something he spit it at you. I would wait a while and try again on something he didn't like because their taste developes over time. I started with the veggies so he wouldn't develope a taste for sweet. My friend started with fruit and now her dd won't eat veggies my ds is 2 same age as her dd and will pick veggies over candy. Good luck. Don't let anyone push you into when to do things with your child. Trust your momma instincts you will know when the time is right.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN