Featured Posts
chaelynnsmommy
please help
December 1, 2012 at 11:27 PM
So my doctor decided to tell me that she can no longer be my care provider so she referred me to a hospital that is 2 hours away. i told her i dont have transportation and she says well thays something ur gonna have to figure out and that im to high risk and to much stress for her. what would you other moms do in this situation. if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appriciated.

Replies

• GimmieMoKimmy
    December 2, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    Is she part of a hospital/medical center? If so, report her to their patient services department. This will at least make the hospital administration aware. Also, if you have insurance and she is listed as a provider report her to them as well.

As for identifying a new provider, try making a specific request on social media sites for info from others with similar conditions that are in/familiar with your area as they could probably give you some good leads.
  • madipayt
    December 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM
    How far along are you? Did she give you a reason? I would definately find someone closer and then report her. That is just heartless of the dr, esp if you are high risk.
    Good Luck!
  • SlapItHigh
    December 2, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    Try second opinion from other OBs in your area.
  • GimmieMoKimmy
    December 2, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    By calling her too high risk and too stressful could be that her patient load doesn't allow her to provide the best care; however her lack of concern in making an appropriate referral shows some level of negligence.

This could've been communicated in a more respectful way. Def needs reporting. Would also help in identifying if she has a trend in passing on high risk patients.

Quoting madipayt:

How far along are you? Did she give you a reason? I would definately find someone closer and then report her. That is just heartless of the dr, esp if you are high risk.

Good Luck!

• fortheboys1218
    December 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Wow that is a hard pill to swallow, I too was high risk and had to go 45 miles to the closest Dr . First I would call your public transportation office , they usually have a special program for women who need to see far away Doctors, second I would enlist the office stafff at her offfice to give you suggestions, they know more then the Doc does. Also report her to your insurance as well as the Center she works for. Search your area for another Doctor who is better suited for you and your situation, at most you will only have to see a high risk OB once a month.

• othermom
    December 2, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Good luck. I hopethat you canfigure something out. Maybe call other doctors in your town

• goddess99
    December 2, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Well I wouldn't go back to her. I would probably report her and then just start making calls to other doctors and see who can take you.

• splatz
    by splatz
    December 2, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I would think the dr could at least provide a referral for another dr in that situation. :( 

OP- Have you called your insurance company & asked for help?

Quoting GimmieMoKimmy:

By calling her too high risk and too stressful could be that her patient load doesn't allow her to provide the best care; however her lack of concern in making an appropriate referral shows some level of negligence.

This could've been communicated in a more respectful way. Def needs reporting. Would also help in identifying if she has a trend in passing on high risk patients.

Quoting madipayt:

Good Luck!

• Aamy
    by Aamy
    December 2, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    The Dr did nothing wrong. She can drop patiens if she wants. If the op is being difficult and creating issues that the Dr can not handle, she has every right to drop the op as a patient.

Quoting GimmieMoKimmy:

Is she part of a hospital/medical center? If so, report her to their patient services department. This will at least make the hospital administration aware. Also, if you have insurance and she is listed as a provider report her to them as well.

As for identifying a new provider, try making a specific request on social media sites for info from others with similar conditions that are in/familiar with your area as they could probably give you some good leads.
  • GimmieMoKimmy
    December 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    The patient services department would sort through all of that in regards to any wrongs done.

Depending on how far along she is and the complications present, simply "dropping" the patient is negligent behavior. In this situation she hopefully received a heads up to give her time to obtain alternate care. If not, that is a practice that needs revising and is worth reporting.

Quoting Aamy:

The Dr did nothing wrong. She can drop patiens if she wants. If the op is being difficult and creating issues that the Dr can not handle, she has every right to drop the op as a patient.

Quoting GimmieMoKimmy:

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN