Cafe Kelly
Creative Play Challenge Day 7: Spark a New Dinner Conversation
December 2, 2012 at 9:06 AM

The holidays are a wonderful time to bond as a family, and what better time than over dinner! Kick off great conversations tonight by asking each family member one question about themselves. For example: "If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?" Or "What qualities do you look for in a friend?" You may learn a lot more than you expected!

Check out this article for five additional ways to inspire meaningful conversations with your family over dinner.

eating

What did you and your family share over dinner today?

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. If you haven't signed up for the Creative Play Every Day Challenge yet, you can do so here!

Replies

• Angel_Red7
    December 2, 2012 at 9:23 AM

My daughter is still too young to engage in such a conversation. But she is not too young to listen/observe. My husband and I talk with one another about things but include our daughter into the conversation by using experiences. Such as sharing. She is a toddler, so we might emphasize how nice sharing is and can mean a lot to someone. We talk about "where we would go if we could". With my daughter we make up silly places, she is still young (not even 2 yet).

• TigerofMu
    December 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Silliness was shared at our table today.  We went out to dinner (a rare treat when you live 50 miles from town), and we had a great time giggling and sharing stories.

• cemcnair
    December 2, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    Ds tells us who he played with at daycare.
  • huntersmama711
    December 2, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    Ds is too young for conversations but we do keep up constant chatter and interaction with him during meal time
  • othermom
    December 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM

This is a great idea. I have done it a few times witht he kids. Sometimes the older two will figure one out together. Once it was that they were going to walk to walmart and get something then they were going to go stay with their friends and a few other things

• nova.mommy
    December 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM

We do this all the time.  DD is 6 and DS just turned 5, so the questions are more fun or silly.

• mommyto3bees
    December 2, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    W will talk about our day
  • ZakkarysMom
    December 2, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    My son is too young for that too.

Quoting huntersmama711:

Ds is too young for conversations but we do keep up constant chatter and interaction with him during meal time

• Paigesmommy78
    December 2, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Mt DD is still a little young to engage in that kind of conversation but she enjoys a nice diner conversation she repeats what we say alot diner time is family time

• myhandsomelove
    December 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    We usually talk about how their day was at school, what they did, played, ate at lunch. How close they are to reaching goals and everything in between, there's also some silly conversations with my 5 yr old lol