Cafe Kelly
Creative Play Challenge Day 7: Spark a New Dinner Conversation
December 2, 2012 at 9:06 AM

The holidays are a wonderful time to bond as a family, and what better time than over dinner! Kick off great conversations tonight by asking each family member one question about themselves. For example: "If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?" Or "What qualities do you look for in a friend?" You may learn a lot more than you expected!

Check out this article for five additional ways to inspire meaningful conversations with your family over dinner.

eating

What did you and your family share over dinner today?

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. If you haven't signed up for the Creative Play Every Day Challenge yet, you can do so here!

Replies

• larschick
    December 3, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    We always ask about school & ask ds to give details about his day. He's only 3 so it's hard.
  • ARPsMom
    by ARPsMom
    December 3, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    We talked about DS's part in the Christmas play at church
  • SweetLuci
    December 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Good ideas. We enjoy open ended questions. When things get quiet, we pul a question out of the question box. Lots of conversation starters there.

• NeKisha
    by NeKisha
    December 4, 2012 at 1:56 AM

We played a game tonight where I asked each child to think of one of the person's involved with the nativity story and describe them and what they did by starting a sentence with " I am..."  I was a bit difficult for my four year old, but the 6 and 8 year olds got it and thought it was a fun challenge.

• Bmama1
    by Bmama1
    December 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    We talked about our day
  • Bmama1
    by Bmama1
    December 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    Our upcoming trip.
  • Michaelamarie84
    December 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM

My son's a little too young for this but we've been talking to him about Christmas and Santa.

• kaves
    by kaves
    December 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

We didn't do it actually at the dinner table but right after dinner when the whole family was together.  My son told us about what he wanted to do when he grew up.  His answers were pretty awesome considering he's only 2 1/2, made me laugh! 

• mommy2kaelynn
    December 5, 2012 at 2:15 AM

We talked about what our daughter's favorite thing to do for art is, and what her favorite song is. Then we talked about all of our favorite books and TV shows

• LivinBlessed
    December 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    My husband worked 2nd shift for years, so the past few months since he took on 1st shift hours have been wonderful! Now he joins us at the table for dinner as a family, and everyone talks about their day and tells jokes and silly stories. I'm very thankful for our dinner time talks:)