Cafe Kelly
Creative Play Challenge Day 6: Write a Letter to a Far-Away Relative or Friend
December 1, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Chances are, your child can't visit everyone during the holidays, but you can help everyone stay connected by writing letters! We love the skills letter-writing can build in children, including spelling practice, storytelling, imaginative play, and more. Today, ask your child to create a letter (or draw pictures if they are still learning how to write) for one family member or friend.

writing

Tell us: Who did your child write to?

For three easy (and imaginative) activities to help your child embrace the art of writing letters, read our recent blog post.

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. If you haven't signed up for the Creative Play Every Day Challenge yet, you can do so here!

Replies

• babygomez
    December 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM

We will surprise Momo (my mom) with a small poem and a drawn picture. :)

My daughter will love sending it off, and my mom will probably cry when she receives it. LOL

• sec68
    by sec68
    December 1, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    My son will be drawing a chrismas tree to send to grammy.
  • Bookwormy
    December 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    At 5yo she wrote a letter, in cursive, to her 5yo cousin, in Pgh, PA, whom she misses!
  • MamaToCollin
    December 1, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Still too little to write, but we sent a new picture to relatives in Florida and Tennessee.

• cowgirls10181
    December 1, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    Today my dd 4 decided since the neighbor had cars come to their house, and they were bringing gifts in it was their sons bd party, and he needed something from her, so she wrote him a card and picked him a nice book from our book shelf.

Usually they write a note to grandparents and aunts n uncles.
  • ZoeCY
    by ZoeCY
    December 1, 2012 at 6:39 PM

My daughter wrote in a card for her friend's birthday party tomorrow, she also drew her a picture.  

• RHayden25
    December 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM

My five year old wrote "Turkey Notes", which are little poems for Thanksgiving. She wrote them for mom, dad, sisters and grandparents. I know it is after thanksgiving, but she was really liking them and anything to get her writing!

• amber_jean101
    December 1, 2012 at 6:55 PM

They wrote to there grandma and grandpa they dont see much.

• momofsixangels
    December 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM

My kids will write to their Aunt in MN

• NeKisha
    by NeKisha
    December 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM

One of my sons draws pictures all the time for my father, whom he calls Coco.  I have a whole stack that I regularly add to!