Featured Posts
Cafe Beth
How do you find safe, eco-friendly toys during the holiday season?
November 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM

5 Ways to Steer Clear of Toxic Toys This Holiday Season

Posted by Maressa Brown on November 14, 2012 at 11:13 AM

kid playing with eco-friendly toyIt didn't take very long after Halloween for the gift-buying frenzy to kick in! Too bad shopping for the holidays isn't always that easy. When it comes to picking out the perfect present for our little ones especially, there are always a million questions running through our minds. Of course we want to make sure we get them something they'll love -- and use -- but when we're flooded with recalls and research about various, potentially hazardous materials used in toys, there's a whole other layer of worry. But it doesn't have to be super-stressful.

Here, five ways to avoid toxic materials when shopping for safe, eco-friendly toys ...

1. Check for recalls. A good first step when buying new toys is to check to make sure that the toy you’re buying hasn’t been recalled by the Consumer Products Safety Commission for any safety or health hazard. The CPSC will note any toys that could create potential choking or falling hazards.
  2. Check for lead paint. Sadly, many toys are still manufactured with lead-based paint, which was banned back in 1978. But the CPSC is supposed to act as a watchdog for these toys, so checking on their website before hitting the stores can help guide you in the right direction.
  3. Be especially aware of bath toys. The potentially harmful chemical PVC is often used in bath toys to make them more flexible. However, you can find a list of some safe bath toys here.
  4. When in doubt, go for wood. If you're concerned about plastic, you can look for toys made out of wood, which are not only naturally safer but should last longer to boot. Score! (One example: My niece loves toys made by Melissa and Doug.)
  5. Shop online. Many websites offer a wide variety of BPA-free, non-toxic, organic toys, many made from recycled products -- so they're green, too! Check out Amazon's Eco-Friendly section, ChildTrek, Planet Happy Kids, and Green Toys.

How do you find safe, eco-friendly toys during the holiday season?

Replies

• splatz
    by splatz
    November 14, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    I've been debating on buying my daughter some Anamalz. Neither of the kids are getting eco-friendly stuff so far. I know I am a horrible mother in many eyes. :p
  • DixieFlower
    November 14, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Honestly, I don't go looking for them. I just buy toys that my sons are interested in.

• Janet
    by Janet
    November 15, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Unless it's been recalled. I will buy it. Most things anyway.

• angie2568
    November 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Well these days so many things will harm us. The pollutants in the air, all things made in china, paint, older homes, processed food etc... (*off subject but)

I will read labels and think...

• goddess99
    November 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I saw this in the Stir earlier. I like Melissa and Doug. However don't buy the puzzle you see pictured. All you're doing is teaching your LO how to unlock all your doors and leave the house. I found that out years ago when Zadessa woke me up out of a dead sleep very early in the morning to tell me she brushed the snow off the car for me O_O ...

• SlapItHigh
    November 16, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Buy local, handmade.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN