Featured Posts
joyfulmom03
How involved is your husband/is he a good father?
November 13, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Hi everyone!

I would like to know from all you moms out there how good of a father your husband is to your children? How involved is he? How much time does he spend with them and what types of activities does he do with them? Also, does he work full-time and if he does, does he still spend most of his free time with the kids in the weekends? If you have a baby, is he natural at taking care of him/her? Does he do anything in the household or is that 'your task'? I know these are alot of questions but I really would love some answers. I'm in a situation where I feel like my husband just doesn't put in enough time and effort with our 3 yr old and our 10 month old twins. He lets me do everything, I have to ask for his help all the time and he doesn't naturally play with them or spend alot of time with them. He's disrespectful in ways of leaving clothes on the floor, doesn't put his shit away, never helps me with dishes and I'm just sick of it, tired. Like having a fourth child. I'm trying to put things in perspective and would love some input!

Thank you!

Replies

• weirdkids
    November 14, 2012 at 2:56 AM
    Although I don't tell him enough, my husband is the best in the world. I'm physically disabled and he takes damn good care of me and the kids while trying to keep the house in order. He's a great father who spends every extra min with the kids that he can.
  • Eve-marie
    November 14, 2012 at 8:29 AM

My husband was like an extra kid for me, too. He is self employed and I saw him next to never, but when the kids started school he was the chauffeur and I saw him at least when it was pickup or dropoff time. Now two of the boys do karate and they have extra classes on Saturday nights and he also practices them one evening a week at home. He is quite committed to them, and sometimes when he is home they will all watch something together on TV. Your kids are small still, at that stage mine barely knew their father. The twins were scared of him and that made him feel bad. Ask for help when you need it, make him clean up behind himself, and I hope things get better when they're older.

• babynurse454
    November 14, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    He is so involved with everything that involves our 10 year old dd! He takes her to karate, camping, they are best friends! He helps with homework... taught her how to drive our lawn tractor. He has always been incredible dad.
  • MomandWife6
    November 14, 2012 at 8:36 AM

My husband works 40+ hours a week...he is a great father, he spends time with the boys and I after work and on the weekends if he's not working.  He takes turns taking them on errands and we try every weekend to go somewhere as a family even if it's to walmart grocery shopping.  My husband is not afraid to jump in and do a bit of house work (dishes, laundry ect)  I hope I have answered all your questions.  Good luck to you and my advice is to talk to him and see if you can't come to a mutual agreement about housework and child duties :D **Hugs**

• ShandelRenee
    November 14, 2012 at 8:48 AM

My husband is a very great father he works and watchs our two daughters whn im in school. H dosnt get up with thm during th night bcause its hard for m to sleep, wheni know my kids are awake. He does wak up in the morning with them and lets m sleep in. We are very young couple im 16 and hes 20 and we have been together almost 3 years we have a 16 mo old and a 2 mo old. We are that young couple that has fought through everything to make sure our kids have everything they need. (:

• MichelleMc
    November 14, 2012 at 9:34 AM

He has always been very very involved in Jonathan's life. Always being a leader, a coach ( though he hates sports ), taking him shooting, fishing, teaching him to ride a bike, etc. He has never been an out of touch dad.

He is an awesome father. Even when he was active duty military & away, he always came home & made up for time gone. He tried to stay up on what was going on & stayed in touch with his life.

• Janet
    by Janet
    November 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM

After all these positive posts you get to here a negative. I have 3 kids that are all grown up. My DH was very inactive in their life. He never played with them when they were little. I used to cry. He never helped around the house at all! I did it all! My daughter has a chronic illness a spent so much time in the hospital with her. When I came home the house would be a mess. Now, he is good to them. They are over here a lot. They laugh and talk about sports and all that guy stuff.

I am now raising my 2 grandsons buy my oldest son. They are now ages 7 and 9. I had them since the youngest was 3 months old. He promised me he would help me when I took them in. Yeah right same man as before. I do it all. This time it is harder I am older with fibromyalgia. I love them to death. Their father is very involved in their lives. Which is a good thing.

• NeverABreak
    November 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate! My husband can be a little cluless sometime when it comes to what I go through in a day. I have to spell things out for him. He's a great father, in his own way. Some days he doesn't have the energy to play with our son, but he tries to play when he can. Lately he's been helping me put the boy to bed and reading his bedtime stories so that I can come to bed a little earlier and wake up with him in the morning with him before he goes to work. I do have to remind him to be patient with our oldest. Ds is about to be 3 and just became a big brother, so he's doing everything he can to push our buttons.

• SlapItHigh
    November 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM

My husband works more than full-time (more than 40 hrs a week).  But when he comes home from work, he plays with the kids, involves them in what he is doing, takes them to play ball, 'wrestles' with them, reads them books, takes them with him to the store, helps with their sports teams, helped lead their scouting group, etc.  He gives them baths, says their nightly prayers, tells them a story, etc.  When they are age 0-2, he babywears them in his Ergo.  He's suuuuuper involved.  There are times when he's gone for his job though so I think he likes to try to make up for that.  Plus he just really loves our kids and enjoys being with them.

• delanna6two
    November 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM

He's busy a lot...but a great father and will help out if needed.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts