Featured Posts
KeheleyLayna
Thanksgiving Recipes.
November 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM

What are some of your favorite Thanksgiving recipes? I love baked mac and cheese. I could eat the whole pan lol.

Replies

• reneemc10
    November 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM

HANDS DOWN, the BEST dessert for Thanksgiving! Beats Pumpkin Pie in our house every year!  I have to make 3 this year for my husband to take to work! :0)

Pumpkin Torte

Ingredients

• 24 graham crackers, crushed

• 1/3 cup granulated sugar

• 3/4 cup butter, melted

• 1 package Knox gelatin

• 1/4 cup cold water

• 2 eggs, beaten

• 3/4 cup granulated sugar

• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened

• 2 cups pumpkin (pumpkin pie mix can)

• 3 egg yolks

• 1/2 cup granulated sugar

• 1/2 cup milk

• 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)

• 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon

• 3 egg whites

• 1/4 cup granulated sugar

• Ready Whip

Directions

• Mix together crushed graham crackers, 1/3 c. sugar and melted butter.  Press into the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish to form the crust.
    • Add gelatin to 1/4 c. cold water. Stir and set aside. 
    • Beat together 2 eggs, 3/4 c. sugar and cream cheese. Pour into graham cracker crust and bake at 350° F for 20 minutes.
    • Cook pumpkin, egg yolks, 1/2 c. sugar, milk, salt, and cinnamon over medium heat until thickened. Stir in the gelatin mixture and allow to cool.
    • Beat egg whites until fluffy. Add 1/4 c. sugar. Fold into cooled pumpkin mixture. Then, spread over cream cheese layer. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
    • Add Ready Whip before serving

• DixieFlower
    November 7, 2012 at 8:18 PM

green bean cassarole

• DixieFlower
    November 7, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Haupia

1/4 cup sugar*
    1/2 cup cornstarch
    3/4 cup lukewarm water
    2 cups fresh coconut milk*

**NOTE**

• Instead of fresh coconut milk, you can use frozen coconut milk that has been defrosted or canned coconut milk.
    • If using frozen coconut milk, or canned coconut milk, use approximately 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar.
    • More sugar may be added depending on your personal preference.  I start with 1/4 cup and if needed, increase by the tablespoon.

In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch and mix well.  Add water and stir until sugar and cornstarch are dissolved.  Set aside.

In a heavy bottomed pot, heat cook the coconut milk on low heat until warmed through.  Add in the sugar/cornstarch/water mixture, stirring constantly until thickened (about 5-7 minutes).  Pour into a 8" square pan and refrigerate until firm, about 4-5 hours (overnight is best).

Cut into squares and enjoy!

• DixieFlower
    November 7, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Oven Kalua Turkey
    1 twelve to fourteen pound turkey
    16 large ti leaves
    1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
    3 tablespoons Hawaiian salt (you can use kosher or coarse sea salt)
    2 teaspoons liquid smoke
    Rinse and drain turkey. Line a large baking pan with foil. Wash ti leaves in a sink of cold water with a few drops of dish soap then rinse. Remove fibrous part of the veins. Line baking pan with ti leaves radiating from center. Place two additional ti leaves across the middle of the pan. Place turkey on the ti leaves. Rub butter, salt, then liquid smoke on inside and outside of turkey. Place 4-6 ti leaves over the turkey. Fold leaves around the turkey.Crimp foil around turkey and cover pan tightly with additional foil. Roast in electric oven at 325 degrees F for 3-4 hours until meat thermometer reads 175-180 degrees. Shred turkey and add in pan liquid to moisten meat. Makes 8-10 servings.

• MilesOfSmiles7
    November 7, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    Bump for later! I'm excited to try some new stuff this year!
  • DixieFlower
    November 7, 2012 at 8:37 PM

This is a recipe that my mom has used for a long time. She said it's the closest that she's found to my grandmother's.

Pani Popo

Recipe very slightly adapted from original source: Samoa Chat Kitchen, recipe submitted by K. Suaava McDonald

Ingredients:

6 cups flour

1 packet – or 1 1/2 tsp. yeast

2 1/4 cups + 2 tbsp. of milk

1 tbsp. sugar + 1 cup sugar for mixing with coconut milk later

1 teaspoon salt

1 tbsp. butter – or margarine, Crisco

2 cans of coconut milk

Measure about 2 1/2-3 cups of flour and your yeast into your bread machine or a large mixing bowl. In a saucepan add your milk, sugar, salt and butter. On medium low heat continue to cook until butter is almost completely melted. You may test your liquid if you like, but be sure it is not much over about 100 degrees F. We don’t want to kill our yeast, do we? ;) When butter is almost completely melted, add your warm milk mixture to your flour mixture and combine. Add remaining flour gradually to make a smooth dough. Knead for about 6-8 minutes.

Butter your hands and butter a bowl for your dough to rise. Rub that butter all over your dough and set it covered in its greased bowl for about 45 minutes to rise.

After 45 minutes punch dough down and form into little dough balls, placing them into 2 greased 13 by 9 pans. This recipe will make at least 18 rolls depending on the size. Put 9 rolls per pan and let your rolls rise for about 20 minutes.

Mix your coconut milk with 1 cup sugar and pour over your rolls.

(I only used 1 can and 1/2 cup sugar and I had plenny but if you want to make it extra good then mix it all up!) Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes or until they test done. :)

• DixieFlower
    November 7, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I make a basting sauce for the turkey that's really good. However, I've never really measured it out. It uses a small flask of Jack Daniels and brown sugar. I pour the whiskey into a med bowl. Then I slowly add the brown sugar to the whiskey and stir. I add brown sugar until it's a thick mixture. I then spoon some under the turkey's skin. When I go and baste the turkey I add more to the top of the turkey. The drippings from this also make a really good gravy.

• DixieFlower
    November 7, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Does anyone have a really good "lettuce salad" type recipe? I've always wanted to include a salad with Thanksgiving but just couldn't think of anything that goes well.

• Aleta775
    November 8, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Try arugula, roasted butternut squash that has been sliced, dried cranberries, goat cheese, and a ginger dressing. You just roast the squash in the oven and then slice it, and put the salad together. It is easy and super yummy.  

Quoting DixieFlower:

Does anyone have a really good "lettuce salad" type recipe? I've always wanted to include a salad with Thanksgiving but just couldn't think of anything that goes well.

• goddess99
    November 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Bump so I can get more recipe ideas as well.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN