Featured Posts
amandap33
schools nowadays
November 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

2 things that schools should not be involved in:

politics

religion

My kids school is having a mock election!  She's in 3rd grade.  Shouldn't schools worry about teaching math and reading since they say kids aren't testing well.  We don't follow politics in my house.  I don't care, we're gonna be screwed eithe way!

At my daughters school, the2-4 graders have bible class during school and they walk to the church in the cold, rain...

I'm agnostic but I'm gonna let my daughter believe in her own beliefs.  They shouldn't push religion on kids.

That's the parents job!

Schools need to teach kids what they need to learn so they can be successful in life.

Replies

• SlapItHigh
    November 4, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I actually think both are ok in school as long as certain conditions are met.  A mock election sounds good.  They should be taught about our political system and how it works.  

I don't understand what you mean about the religion.  Are your kids forced to have Bible class or are kids who want to doing it?  What does walking to church in the rain have to do with school?

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    November 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Well they always did little elections when I was in school! I do not think kids really get it but w.e. And as far as religion I do not belive on pushing it on people but I am a Christian and if my daughter chooses that route then she can speak her mind freely! In my opinion! Again not pushing it on anyone...

• HaileysMom07180
    November 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM

i think a mock election is a really good idea actually, but unless they are going to a christian school, they shouldn't be going to church.

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    November 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM

This I agree with! My reply was all over the place lol! But yeah I never known of a school to teach religion unless it was a chirstian school!

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

i think a mock election is a really good idea actually, but unless they are going to a christian school, they shouldn't be going to church.

• happy2bmom25
    November 5, 2012 at 12:01 PM

i agrere the main focus should be on reading, wirting, math and science.

if i sent my kids to a religious school i would hope for religious education, otherwise, why bother?

third grade might be too young to talk about deep politics, but maybe there could be a little introduction to it? 

• HaileysMom07180
    November 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM

i took a global cultures class my sophomore year of high school that taught different relitions around the world, but never anything like that.

Quoting Pammi86:

This I agree with! My reply was all over the place lol! But yeah I never known of a school to teach religion unless it was a chirstian school!

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

• jillianmayasmom
    November 5, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    This.

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

• Knightquester
    November 5, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I don't see an issue with voting and elections being taught.  It's often covered around 3rd grade when teaching children about the three branches of government and their entities.

The local school near us is doing a mock election where each class has candidates that are running, campaign helpers to help the candidates and the rest of the class votes for their class leader.  I don't think I'd want schools to cover the 'real' campaign as it encompasses idea's and views that would be over many 3rd graders heads and most of their own views would most often mirror what is taught at home.

Religion doesn't belong in public schools, however any private religious school has a right to encompass it into their daily routines.  There should always be some separation at public schools when it comes to political and religious views.  If you feel your local public school has stepped over a boundary then I would talk to your local board of education as walking to a specific church is most definitely not a normal activity for public schools to partake in.

• WonderWomanSV
    November 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM

That does sound rediculous. I would be livid if they were having bible study at our school. I'm agnostic also and dh is atheist, I also will allow my children to believe what they want but WOULD NOT approve of having this taught in school. I'm sure you can withdraw her from that class. They can not push that on you. What happened to seperation of church and state.

I do understand teaching the imporatance of voting for their future, but that seems a little young.

• WonderWomanSV
    November 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I would definitely look into have my child removed from the church class. I want my children to be taught about the big bang (not what I usually call it, but it's what everyone knows it as) and evultion. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN