jltplk25
silly question but I'm curious
October 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM
If you have a good relationship with your mil, does she have trouble remembering your birthday? Silly question, I know but Ive been wondering about this for a while. Dh and I have been married almost 7 years and my mil still doesn't know my birthday. It isn't that hard considering it is 8 days after my sil's birthday.

Replies

• zumbafreak11
    October 10, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Well, I've been divorced for 5 1/2 years, but I'd say my ex-MIL and I had a pretty good relationship.  Nope, to this day she still doesn't remember my birthday and half the time, she forgets her granddaughter's (my daughter's).  In her defense, she'll be 80 on March 29 and my daughter who is 7 is her youngest grandchild out of 10 grandchildren and she has 14 great-grandchildren.  My ex-husband is 15 years older than I am.

• ferne3
    by ferne3
    October 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Ha, ha - my ILs don't 'do' birthdays.  Not on purpose, they are just that...well, not inconsiderate....just flighty?  Can a whole family be flighty (all the kids are 'grown')?  Cause they are - and take pride in it.  My husband's was completely overlooked this year, our DD's 1st too - so I don't take offense.  My family does them HUGE so we make up for it.  It still throws my husband off to have my two weird parents call him his birthday morning to sing him Happy Birthday - but he gets a kick out of it now.

• Dinosaurspiders
    October 10, 2012 at 7:16 PM

My MIL and I somewhat get along but the past two years I haven't even gotten a birthday card mailed to me. It's something I try not to dwell on, but it's hard because I make sure we get everyone in my husbands family birthday cards and I mail them out. No one in his family "remembers" me unless you count a facebook happy birthday. Meanwhile they bought his sister's husband a nice expensive present last year for his birthday ( I just want a freakin' card, lol). I just pretend not to notice because I don't want any drama. But it's made me cry to myself on a couple of occasions. It's not a case of forgetting either, she remembers everyone else's birthday, they are all on her fridge including mine, i think it is just a final permanent jab at me for "stealing" her son.   

• Dinosaurspiders
    October 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM

That is exactly the attitude I am trying to cultivate towards my Mother-in-law. Accept that that is who she is, learn from her how not to be when my kids are married, and not take it to heart or make a thing out of it. 

Quoting Knightquester:

My mother in-law knows my birthday, but does she wish me happy birthday or anything.... no.  Does it bother me given I've known her for over`13 years now.... no.

My mother in-law is the type of person I don't dislike or hate, but cannot relate to.  Her relationship with those within her own family are odd to me (and many others looking in), so I don't take what she does or doesn't do personally, it's just who she is.  She definitely won't be who I'll be when I become somebodies mother in-law, grandmother and such.

• DixieFlower
    October 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Yeah mine never remembers my birthday and mine is two weeks after DH's. haha

• Its.me.Sam.
    October 10, 2012 at 7:36 PM

i do..and no, she does not.  BUT.. dont be too hard on her...i have a HORRIBLE memory and i forget birthdays all the time...not out of lack of love.. but just because i havent utilized any method to remind me when a bday is coming up.

• jessi2girls
    October 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM

some people are just bad with dates and numbers.. others bad at names.. etc.

My grandfather couldn't remember his own childrens birthdays... and only remembered mine because it was on d day lol..

Me personally.. it's names.. lol.

• LUCKYTRISH
    October 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I get along great with my mil, she always remebers my birthday and sends me a text or phone call on my actual bday and then gives me a gift  the first time we see each other after my bday, that is more then my own father, not even a phone call or card to say happy bday. If my mom was still alive she would make sure she called me.

• rayroe2
    by rayroe2
    October 10, 2012 at 8:29 PM

my MIL as 8kids and a husband lol I don't think she will remember mine.

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    October 10, 2012 at 9:22 PM

My mil remembers everything, good and bad lol!