LadyJag
While you were sleeping...
by LadyJag
October 9, 2012 at 4:28 PM
So we took our 6-year-old camping at Fort Wilderness in Disney World this past weekend. Had a ball at the Halloween party Friday night, then hung out at the pool and campgrounds Saturday. We brought our bikes to ride around and give DD a little "practice." (She still uses training wheels...which somehow don't stop her from falling!)

Anyway, DD freaked out when she thought she was going to fall over, so she grabbed the wooden fence to stop her momentum and wound up with 4 giant splinters in her hand. They are just below the skin, and she says they hurt, but she starts screaming like a banshee the minute I produce the tweezers. We tried to take her to the first aid station at Disney for some "Mickey care," but the cast members said they would have to send her to the nearest urgent care clinic... for splinters...??

So I started thinking about how I used to trim my little girl's fingernails while she was sleeping when she was a baby, and thought maybe I could try the same here. I sneaked into DD's room the other night with the tweezers, and while she slept, I managed to dig one of the four splinters out. (It was like a 2x4, it was so huge!) I tried to get another one out, but DD started moving around, so I thought I'd quit before I woke her.

The next day, DD tells me one of her splinters "fell out" while she was sleeping. I didn't say anything, but again that night, I crept into her room and dug out another 2x4 from her hand. Again, she woke up the next morning and was excited that another splinter "fell out."

So should I tell her the truth? I still have 2 more splinters to dig out tonight, and I don't want her to be on alert if she knows it's me. At the same time, I don't want her to think that she can just wait around the next time she gets a splinter and it'll just "fall out."

Replies

• LadyBugMom09
    October 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM
    Do one more and then tell her before you remove the last one and remove the last one with her awake.
  • jltplk25
    October 9, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    This sounds good to me.

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Do one more and then tell her before you remove the last one and remove the last one with her awake.
  • Jean8282
    October 9, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I would until you get all of them out and then tell her it was you.

• almostthere55
    October 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I agree with this.  If she knows you are the one taking them out, she may not go to sleep.  LOL

Quoting Jean8282:

I would until you get all of them out and then tell her it was you.

• DayDreamer1201
    October 9, 2012 at 7:08 PM

My dad had us sing songs and keep our eyes closed to remove splinters.... Never felt a thing!

• pampire
    by pampire
    October 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM

BUMP!

• MistressMinerva
    October 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I wouldn't tell her until you have them all out.

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    October 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    I would get them all out before you tell her!
  • LadyJag
    by LadyJag
    October 9, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    Thanks, ladies! Hope I can get the last two out tonight, then tell her in the A.M.
  • salamandersmom
    October 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Good thinking!!  Let it go for now.  She's still young, and there's time for the harsh realities of life.   If she believes in the splinter fairy for a while, it's ok.  My sons were just like that... and I wish I'd thought to wait until they were sleeping!!