Featured Posts
Cafe Beth
It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Man Dies After Cockroach Eating Contest
October 9, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

Edward Archbold was the "life of the party" kind of a guy who entered a superworm eating contest. Later he was in a cockroach eating contest and he won! Then he got sick and died. Tests are being conducted to determine the cause of death.

1. Do you think the bugs killed him, or that it was probably an unfortunate coincidence?

2. Was the store negligent in even allowing this contest to take place?

3. Would you ever enter an insect eating contest or other risky contest?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

Replies

• mysticmom90
    October 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Hmmmm maybe some of the roaches were contaminated with pesticides? IDK......This is odd behaviour in my book.

• SlapItHigh
    October 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM

So sad :(.

• Cafe Beth
    October 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Awww. I'm sorry you lost your appetite. But thank you for sharing with us!

Quoting unsuspected:

A few years ago a radio station had a water drinking competition, a woman died from water intoxication because of it. The family sued, I dont know if they won or not.

In this case idk ... If he didn't chew them up, they were all alive in there!

And no order, I've lost my appetite.

• Cafe Beth
    October 9, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I wonder if people think of this stuff before they eat creatures like this.

I hope you'll enjoy this mocha!

Quoting mysticmom90:

Hmmmm maybe some of the roaches were contaminated with pesticides? IDK......This is odd behaviour in my book.

• Cafe Beth
    October 9, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I agree.

Here's a little something for you!

Quoting SlapItHigh:

So sad :(.

• Mrs.Kubalabuku
    October 9, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Caramel mochiatto.  (Sp?)  Please!  And since I'm just not feeling "happy" today, perhaps something sweet and fruity to nom on?

1. Do you think the bugs killed him, or that it was probably an unfortunate coincidence?  If he didn't choke and die right there, it is unlikely it was the bugs themselves.  It could be a parasite or germ the bugs carried, though.  Stomach acid kills an awful lot of bugs!  Only parasites that have evolved would survive past the initial nomming.

2. Was the store negligent in even allowing this contest to take place?  That depends on what precautions they took.  Did they get the bugs from a licensed vendor for food purposes?  Surprisingly, many bugs are entirely edible, even delicacies in some places.  Vendors get a special license to breed and sell them in clean environments from good stock.  If they just got random bugs, say fish bait worms, then it is negligence.  Bait shops don't have to have any measure of standard or care for their bugs, b/c the bugs are not for human consumption.

3. Would you ever enter an insect eating contest or other risky contest?  I have participated in a cricket eating contest.  They were baked, and had a nutty flavor.  Pretty good, actually.  I had eaten some candy bars and actually thought they were nuts, not bugs, until I saw a leg.  LOL.  Oh, the joys of multi-cultural experiences...

• Cafe Beth
    October 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I tried calamari and was doing good until I saw eyes. LOL! Thanks for sharing with us.

I hope this caramel macchiato and fruit roll will help you feel better. :)

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Caramel mochiatto.  (Sp?)  Please!  And since I'm just not feeling "happy" today, perhaps something sweet and fruity to nom on?

1. Do you think the bugs killed him, or that it was probably an unfortunate coincidence?  If he didn't choke and die right there, it is unlikely it was the bugs themselves.  It could be a parasite or germ the bugs carried, though.  Stomach acid kills an awful lot of bugs!  Only parasites that have evolved would survive past the initial nomming.

2. Was the store negligent in even allowing this contest to take place?  That depends on what precautions they took.  Did they get the bugs from a licensed vendor for food purposes?  Surprisingly, many bugs are entirely edible, even delicacies in some places.  Vendors get a special license to breed and sell them in clean environments from good stock.  If they just got random bugs, say fish bait worms, then it is negligence.  Bait shops don't have to have any measure of standard or care for their bugs, b/c the bugs are not for human consumption.

3. Would you ever enter an insect eating contest or other risky contest?  I have participated in a cricket eating contest.  They were baked, and had a nutty flavor.  Pretty good, actually.  I had eaten some candy bars and actually thought they were nuts, not bugs, until I saw a leg.  LOL.  Oh, the joys of multi-cultural experiences...

• splatz
    by splatz
    October 9, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    Hmmm.. I don't know, but I am going to go with yes.

Thanks for the coffee. :)

Quoting Cafe Beth:

LOL! I hope your nauseousness goes away soon. (Is that a word?!)

Enjoy your iced coffee.

Quoting splatz:

Oh, but I can answer. No no no... I would NEVER do any type of eating contest. Insect or not. No thank you. :P

Can I have an iced coffee? 

• aom1112
    by aom1112
    October 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM

1. Do you think the bugs killed him, or that it was probably an unfortunate coincidence?
    It's always a probability but no one will know it unless the tests shows it was.  

2. Was the store negligent in even allowing this contest to take place?
    No, bugs.. roaches are eaten in other countries just fine.  

3. Would you ever enter an insect eating contest or other risky contest?
    I'm not much of a risk taker and I HATE bugs so I would not even consider it. My answer is NO NO NO! 

• Mommy4two
    October 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Ummm... I think I'm about to hurl :-O throwing up

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN