Featured Posts
2004MAMA715
moving tips?
October 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM
I will be moving next month and Erik actually have a month to move everything, but was wondering if you all have any good tips for me? I will not be getting a moving van since we have trucks and trailers if that makes a difference.

One thing in particular..... I always take all the clothes off the hangers and pack them just to put them all back. Is there an easier way? I'm sure there has to be.
Thanks ladies!

Replies

• puertoricangeek
    October 9, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Yes there is an easier way. You get some really good trash bags and you but the clothes on hangers in them. Tie a rubberband around about 10 or so hanger hooks. Lower the clothes in the bag with the tops of the hangers being left out, tie the bag up. This way all you have to do when you get to the new house it take the rubberbands off and hang the clothes in the closet, with the bag still on, and then take the bags off as needed. The good thing is that everyone always manages to pack and move some things that needed to be thrown away anyways and you will not have to search the house for where you packed the trash bags, you will know you have some in the closets.

Also a tip I figured out when I moved a couple of months ago. I do not care if you write "Kitchen" on the outside of the box you still do not know what is in the box. Write what is in the box. 

pots, pans, glasses, sponges, sippy cups, silver ware.

Now you know exactly where everything is and also write on the side of the box the contents and where it goes on top. Just a couple of things that make moving a little less stressful. I know anything that makes it easier is a blessing.

• jonnlilithsmom
    October 9, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I highly recommend mobile storage for moving... you can have as much time as you need to pack a unit, then they move it, and you have as much time as you need to unload it, and you pay as though you were just using it for storage which is WAY cheaper (where I am, anyway) than a moving van/company... I found it way less stressful, for my last move!!

as for packing clothing, well, I leave clothes in drawers... pull out the drawers, move the empty dresser, then replace the drawers in the moving unit, then reverse to move into the house... for closets, I take armfuls of clothes, still on the hangers, and place them carefully in a box... stack to fill the box, then it's easy to unload the boxes, right onto the hanger bars in the new closets

good luck with your move

• delanna6two
    October 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Hope you have a good move!

• illinoismommy83
    October 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Our "big"moves were while pregnant with DD1, then twice with DD1. We have been in our current place for a few years and moving is too much work for me to want to again for a long time, lol.

What I always did was start packing early. Go through the stuff you rarely use and get it sorted, thrown out, or packed. Empty all of the storage areas first and really go through and see what you will still use again.

Pack as much as you can early on. When you use a moving truck and do it all at once it makes sense to unhang and box everything so its easier for whoever is loading the truck. Since you are moving gradually I agree with the rubber band hanger idea above me.

Leave as little to the last min as possible. My best friend recently moved and she left "just a little" bit of stuff unpacked till the last min. Her small 1 bedroom apt took us 8 hours to get in the uhaul because she had a ton of stuff that wasn't boxed up. She had dirty dishes in the sink and full pantry still! Ugh.

Eat your food down. Move as little as possible. Use up your TP and pantry stuff and toiletries if possible and just ration so it lasts till the end and then you can buy new after your move and start fresh.

Be realistic too. The bag of beans you opened in 2009 is bad. I know it doesn't go bad, but if you haven't fnished it in 3 years you never will. The box of "junk" you have kept in the storage closet for 5 years will just continue to live in a box at the new house. Do you need it? Is it worth moving and storing for another 5 years? Maybe make a pile of stuff to sell on craigslist and get rid of it.

• goddess99
    October 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM

You got some great tips. I hope you have a good move =)

• OliviasMommy611
    October 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    I'm interested. I'm moving cross country in June!
  • maribou
    by maribou
    October 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM

The 'clothes on the hanger' is what we do.  We are always moving kids to and from college and apartments.  We get the contractor bags at Home Depot.  I don't even attach the hangers at the top.  What I do is roll the clothes around 5 or 6 hangers and place them in the bag.  When you get them out you pull out a nice little pile, unroll and hang up.

Also, keep sheets/blankets/pillows together so when you get there, beds are the first thing to go up (so you have a place to sleep).  Also, pack a days worth of cups, plates, pots, pans and utensils in one box.  I would mark those things DAY 1 ---- that way I would keep them together and know I would need them on first.

Also, a box of cleaning supplies, with paper towels, toilet paper and towels/washrags and shower supplies with toothbrushes.

I guess that's all I've got for now.

• hersheyb
    October 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Agreed...don't take stuff out of drawers, don't take clothes off hangers, it's a waste of time.  They sell "wardrobe boxes" and that's what we use.  They have a bar that allows you to hang your clothes.  It's so much easier (I've moved 5 times) than folding everything up and then rehanging it.

The other advice I have is PURGE before you move.  Don't bring stuff you haven't used in 2 years.  Seriously, you will never use it again if you haven't used it in 2 years!  

Pack a bag with all your remotes and carry it with you (even in you're only moving across town).  You'd be surprised how those things tend to get lost in a move.  When you hook up a TV for the kids to watch while you're unpacking, you'll be glad you did this!

Lastly, DO NOT mix boxes just because things were mixed in your house.  For example, our printer got put in some random kitchen box beacuse it happened to be sitting on the kitchen counter when we moved.  It took us forever to find it! Pack boxes according to what they are, so put all the computer stuff in 1 box, even if it wasn't all in the same room in your current home.

• pampire
    by pampire
    October 9, 2012 at 7:41 PM

These are better than my tips so do what she says!  I'm packing to move too, and I'm definitely using these.

Be sure to put together an "unpack me first" box with essentials for getting up and running at the new house.  TP, toiletries, aspirin, pet food, some paper plates, napkins and utensils.  That way you won;t have to search thru boxes for the first night's bathtime etc...

Quoting puertoricangeek:

Yes there is an easier way. You get some really good trash bags and you but the clothes on hangers in them. Tie a rubberband around about 10 or so hanger hooks. Lower the clothes in the bag with the tops of the hangers being left out, tie the bag up. This way all you have to do when you get to the new house it take the rubberbands off and hang the clothes in the closet, with the bag still on, and then take the bags off as needed. The good thing is that everyone always manages to pack and move some things that needed to be thrown away anyways and you will not have to search the house for where you packed the trash bags, you will know you have some in the closets.

Also a tip I figured out when I moved a couple of months ago. I do not care if you write "Kitchen" on the outside of the box you still do not know what is in the box. Write what is in the box. 

pots, pans, glasses, sponges, sippy cups, silver ware.

Now you know exactly where everything is and also write on the side of the box the contents and where it goes on top. Just a couple of things that make moving a little less stressful. I know anything that makes it easier is a blessing.

• MistressMinerva
    October 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM

All these are good tips and we just bought a new house a few weeks ago and I did most of these tips.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN