2004MAMA715
moving tips?
October 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM
I will be moving next month and Erik actually have a month to move everything, but was wondering if you all have any good tips for me? I will not be getting a moving van since we have trucks and trailers if that makes a difference.

One thing in particular..... I always take all the clothes off the hangers and pack them just to put them all back. Is there an easier way? I'm sure there has to be.
Thanks ladies!

Replies

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    October 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    I leave ours on the hangers!
  • 2004MAMA715
    October 10, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    Thank you all for all the great tips.
  • splatz
    by splatz
    October 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    Good luck with the move! Sounds like you got a lot of great advice.
  • puertoricangeek
    October 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM

What I did with my "first to unpack" items is I put them in those reuseable grocery bags, tied them up and put them in the car with me. This made this a whole lot easier. I acually left this stuff (minus the TP, juice, sippy cups and snacks) in the driver seat while we unpacked the truck. This made it a lot easier and we did lose the supper inportant suff while everything was being moved into the house.

Quoting pampire:

These are better than my tips so do what she says!  I'm packing to move too, and I'm definitely using these.

Be sure to put together an "unpack me first" box with essentials for getting up and running at the new house.  TP, toiletries, aspirin, pet food, some paper plates, napkins and utensils.  That way you won;t have to search thru boxes for the first night's bathtime etc...

Quoting puertoricangeek:

Yes there is an easier way. You get some really good trash bags and you but the clothes on hangers in them. Tie a rubberband around about 10 or so hanger hooks. Lower the clothes in the bag with the tops of the hangers being left out, tie the bag up. This way all you have to do when you get to the new house it take the rubberbands off and hang the clothes in the closet, with the bag still on, and then take the bags off as needed. The good thing is that everyone always manages to pack and move some things that needed to be thrown away anyways and you will not have to search the house for where you packed the trash bags, you will know you have some in the closets.

Also a tip I figured out when I moved a couple of months ago. I do not care if you write "Kitchen" on the outside of the box you still do not know what is in the box. Write what is in the box. 

pots, pans, glasses, sponges, sippy cups, silver ware.

Now you know exactly where everything is and also write on the side of the box the contents and where it goes on top. Just a couple of things that make moving a little less stressful. I know anything that makes it easier is a blessing.

• franmoor
    October 12, 2012 at 7:20 PM

You've got great tips here so hope you'll have a good move. Taking clothes off the drawers and hangers is tiring so hope you'll try the first comment here about it. This would be the best time to declutter too and throw out what you didn't need. Move one at a time since you still got plenty of time until next month. Goodluck.

• 2004MAMA715
    October 13, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    Thanks again to all of you. I will definitely be leaving the clothes on hangers and in drawers this time. As far as clutter I get rid of a lot of stuff every time I move. I never thought to put all the must haves in one spot though. Since I have a while month to move this time I expect it to be a lot easier.
  • puertoricangeek
    October 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Years of being told 3 or 4 days before we moved, mom would drop boxes, tape, sharpies and would go out. I got used to figuring out the best way to pack and unpack before I was a teen. Now-a-days my husband is so funny because he says I get mean and "push" him out of my way. I guess I'm just particular now.