Featured Posts
Cafe Beth
It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Teacher cuts disabled student's hair
October 2, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

A 7 year old down syndrome girl named Jessica had several inches of her hair cut off by an assistant teacher. Originally the teacher told her mother she cut off about four inches of hair because she had food in it. When her child got home the mother saw it was more like eight inches. A letter later revealed that her hair was cut because she wouldn't stop taking it down. Turns out Jessica loved her hair and now won't even get in front of a mirror.

1. Do you feel that it is ok if teachers take action on children without a parent's consent first?

2. How would your child(ren) feel if something personal like this was done to them?

3. How would YOU react if something personal was done to your child and you found out after-the-fact?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

Replies

• Des10ed2b
    October 3, 2012 at 8:20 AM

i would be livid! we are not talking about a totally bed-ridden child who could not care for their hair or didnt know the difference! (and even then it would NOT be okay!) but to a little girl with downs? omg. that is heart breaking. poor little girl. she knew exactly what was going on. she probably wont even want to go back to school now. 

• Dabberdoo
    October 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Honestly, I'm just dumbstruck.  I know how devastated my 10 year old would be if someone touched her hair like that.  Or how devastated my 3 year old would be if you touched her hair.  She will do ANYTHING if you tell her it will make her pretty and SHE thinks her hair is pretty.  Devastated.  I'm appalled that any teacher would think that is acceptable and I would have her job.

• SlapItHigh
    October 4, 2012 at 8:13 AM

1. no

2. not good

3. not good

• delanna6two
    October 7, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Agree!

Quoting FabLife:

It's not up to the teacher to take upon themselves to cut the childs hair without consent of the parent(s)

• PerfectVirgo
    October 7, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    My mother chopped my girls hair off without my permission. I was livid, speechless. But my daughters love it now, so I politely told mom never to do that again. It's old news now... But if it were a teacher, I probably would have had a stroke. I was so emotional about it, and my daughters had asked my mother to do it. I can't imagine if they hadn't wanted it done, and a stranger had done it.
  • ElijahsMami222
    October 16, 2012 at 3:02 PM

one of them teachers would be hearing from, me along from my hand, i wouldnt let anyone touch my sons hair, seriously... 

• mom2gr8tgirls
    October 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I would FLIP OUT!  Cutting someone's hair is against the law in some states (including the one I live in).  It's considered assault.  And I'd be calling the police.  My oldest accidentally cut like an inch of her hair while using scissors in school one day (the teacher found the hair on the table but couldn't figure out where it came from) and told me immediately.  That I understand, but deliberately cutting a child's hair as a punishment?!?!  Nope, not gonna effin fly with me!  I'm coming at you with my trimmers!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts