Androgynous names are all the rage these days. Why name only a boy Taylor when the name is just as cute on a girl? Shawn can be a female or male and be just as cool. After all, why should boys get all the fun? Boys' names are pretty adorable!
In fact, in my son's class alone, there is a little girl who shares his name (Alan), and I will say it's equally sweet on them both. As thedaughter of a man named Ashley who grew up being addressed as Mrs., I know it wasn't easy to have a name that was associated with girls.
But things are changing and my guess is now, 30 years from now, no one will assume any gender when it comes to names. Here's my list of "boy" names that sound better on girls.
- Scout: I have loved this name ever since To Kill a Mockingbird.
- Dani: Could be short for Danielle or just Dani by itself. Either way, it's a very cute name, especially for a little girl.
- Charlie: This is a great nickname for Charlotte and works very well on a little girl.
- Sam: My daughter's name!
- Cameron: I have known more men than women with this name, but it sure does work on Cameron Diaz, no?
- Jesse: This is spelled Jessie for a girl (usually) but is a great mixed-sex name.
- Kai: This one is a bit new age-y, but it works for both sexes. I like it a lot.
- Devon: I think I like this better on a girl!
- Parker: Parker Posey made this cool.
- Reagan: At this point this is probably considered more female than male, but it works either way.
- Shawn: As mentioned above. Very sweet, no?
- Mack: Could be short for Mackenzie, but I once knew a Mack who was just that and it fit her perfectly.
- Shane: See Shawn above.
- Marley: Definitely better on a girl, I think.
- Emerson: This one is gaining in popularity.
- Quinn: Glee made this one soar.
- Casey: This might be ruined by Casey Anthony, but I maintain that this is a good name for girls. It could also be cute if it's short for something else. My friend is Kristin C. and we call her KC. Very cute.
- Skylar: This one is truly androgynous. Works for both boys and girls in equally good ways.
- Riley: I have a cousin named Riley and this is one I definitely like better on a girl.
- Sloane: Love this one a girl.
- Sasha: Hey look! It's my name! Ever since I was a little girl, I have been told Sasha is a diminutive in Russia for Alexander. I still think it's better on a girl. Take that!
Which do you like best?
Image via soapylovedeb/Flickr
can't decide whether she is a mother, writer, or runner, but is usually all three at some point each day. She has written for dozens of print magazines, newspapers, and websites. She rarely ever writes on bathroom walls.
by kybelleSeptember 30, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Peyton would have been 8 on July 13th and Jordan would have been 7 on October 4th My dd just turned 6 on September 9th
Sara was Sara from the minute we found out she was a girl. We used the "S" to honor her when her sister Sydney was born and both girls have hebrew names to honor their sister. Sara would have been 5 this year:(
Our Angel's wouldn't have been named those names had they lived.
Ironically our angel daughters name is the only one not unisex. Her name was Sara Grace.
I have a DD named Courtney and two angel boys named Peyton and Jordan
I have a girl Peyton and a boy Jordan also a girl Sydney :)
Courtney is a unisex name. Don't know how but it is.
Peyton and Jordan are cute unisex names.
by maryjxo1988September 30, 2012 at 7:31 PMI know a girl whose name is Ashley Lynn who is dating and serious with a guy whose name is, you guessed it, Ashley Lynn. Both have different last names but if they were to get married I hope they don't decide to name their child after themselves, lol.
I'm a big fan of boys' names for girls. My daughter is Alex (short for Alexandra).
The little girl who lives downstairs is named Scout. I never met anyone named Scout until she and her mother moved in, but I think that's a cute name.
I absolutely adore the name Charlie for a girl.
September 30, 2012 at 7:35 PMNope. I have a brayden and an autumn.
here are the names.I know:
I'm sure I know more. .
September 30, 2012 at 7:37 PM
I just LOL'ed because I have 2 daughters; Riley & Taylor. :)
September 30, 2012 at 8:48 PMI like Riley, Alex.
September 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM
I like Parker
by dfollinOctober 1, 2012 at 3:35 PMMy son is named Cameron his youngest daughter is named Harley
I love that name Casey.....well they is always somebody out that is not so favorable with a pretty name,so we can't dislike the name or we'd like very few names.
by dfollinOctober 1, 2012 at 3:39 PMOh yeah,when I was in elementary school our librarian's name was Leslie and she married a man named Leslie......it was kinda' funny then.Can you imagine a salesman or a bill collector calling the house,lol
I didn't think about that...I think I agree with you...it would be an interesting search for a middle or maybe could be a middle.
I like Kai too. But I think it would be hard to find a middle name for it.
No but they are all pretty....I like Kai.