Featured Posts
Cafe Beth
It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School
August 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

Replies

• delanna6two
    August 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Hot Cocoa please...

So very sorry to hear this....I think any of these type situations are very sad....hope those hurt will be ok....

• mmtosam06
    August 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I need a trenta iced coffee please. I think this is a sad situation all around. I put my daughter in a charter school (private school without tuition). I would be devastated if something like that happened in her school:(. I wanty to knwo why the parents left the gun out in easy reach of the child? Why wasn't the gun locked up? If i were the parent of the child that got shot I would be suing (no joke) the kid who was the shooter's family. That is pure plain negligent on their part for being reckless and not putting up that gun.

• Janet
    by Janet
    August 28, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I didn't here about this one.

• Janet
    by Janet
    August 28, 2012 at 9:50 AM

No, I don't think my kids are safe at school, especially at the higher levels.

• Janet
    by Janet
    August 28, 2012 at 9:52 AM

They should have police at every high school. Metal detectors maybe. Other than that there isn't much they can do.

• Janet
    by Janet
    August 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM

This world is a total mess!

• Janet
    by Janet
    August 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I'll take a Carmel Frap. please..

• isaiahsmomma86
    August 28, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Coffee with two cream one splenda please. 

And I hadnt heard  about this. Where are the parents when the kids are getting guns?! There are metal detectors and at least at my old high school there were police every morning in the cafeteria. There had never been an issue before, just precautions i think, but I feel like my kids will be safe at school. 

• illinoismommy83
    August 28, 2012 at 10:04 AM

No one wants to send their kids to school in a "bad" district that needs metal detectors, even if it makes it safer. No one wants all kids to have mandatory monthly counceling to make sure everyone is happy as that would totally drain the school's budget. No district is going to instantly expel everyone who makes a comment that even vaguely resembles bullying. There is no fix for this.

The best campaign I can come up with is "If you feel the need to shoot someone, shoot yourself first" but that of course makes me come off as cold. 

We are going to end up either having everyone homeschooled or having every school treat the children like criminals and pat them down, inspect their bags, and send them through metal detectors.

I totally can picture a future where parents form groups of 5 families, and they take turns homeschool teaching all of the children from each family on one day per week so they can work the other days to support their families. With programs like K-12, a church could simply set up a computer lab for the children to use and have parent volunteers come in each day to keep the kids on track. But then, the groups would get smaller and smaller as parents became leary of each other and always worried who was going to snap and shoot everyone.

• cupomeow
    August 28, 2012 at 10:14 AM

This is horrible.  Our schools have lockdown so nobody can get into the building without checking at the door wth a buzzer and camera. It does not make me feel safe but it makes me feel safer than I would without it.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts