Cafe Beth
It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School
August 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

Replies

• GBCPastorsWife
    August 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Another VERY good reason why we homeschool!!

• christinajoy864
    August 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    White chocolate mocha and I think parents need to be more responsible for there kids instead of them supervising themselves more activities and supervision jobs for kids family dinners etc.. Guns locked up and I agree don't publicize as much then make parent and kids own and take resopnsablity for there actions that's how it will change
  • LRHocker
    August 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    Cappucino please

This is just another reminder of how twisted this world has become. Its all about "me and I don't care who I hurt along the way"
  • missybest
    August 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM

This is the world we are living in now.  For the most part our kids are safe.  Can we get rid of psychos?  I don't know.  But, this is our world now.  Our kids can't be kept in cotton, but it is scary.  It could happen anywhere - at school, McDonalds, Burger King, the grocery store.  So, all we can do is the best we can.

• navywife81
    August 28, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    I home schooled my daughter but now I am sending her and I am so scared. Shame on parents shame on kids..... smh
  • janetm188
    August 28, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    I had to chuckle, but it's the truth...I'd rather your kid shoot himself before bringing a gun to school and shooting my kid. It's getting really weird out there and I'm now considering homeschooling. It's just nuts to have to worry about your kids when school should be one of the safe places.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

No one wants to send their kids to school in a "bad" district that needs metal detectors, even if it makes it safer. No one wants all kids to have mandatory monthly counceling to make sure everyone is happy as that would totally drain the school's budget. No district is going to instantly expel everyone who makes a comment that even vaguely resembles bullying. There is no fix for this.

The best campaign I can come up with is "If you feel the need to shoot someone, shoot yourself first" but that of course makes me come off as cold. 

We are going to end up either having everyone homeschooled or having every school treat the children like criminals and pat them down, inspect their bags, and send them through metal detectors.

I totally can picture a future where parents form groups of 5 families, and they take turns homeschool teaching all of the children from each family on one day per week so they can work the other days to support their families. With programs like K-12, a church could simply set up a computer lab for the children to use and have parent volunteers come in each day to keep the kids on track. But then, the groups would get smaller and smaller as parents became leary of each other and always worried who was going to snap and shoot everyone.

• lruesch
    by lruesch
    August 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I personally think that we as parents need to make sure our kids are ok , mentally every day!!! We have to make sure our kids are happy and that nothing is bothering them at school or at home and if there is make sure that they are comfortable talking to us about it I think all of thses shootings can and would have been prevented if some of the parents have paid attention to their kids back when my son was in 4th grade he told a teacher that he wanted to  die so the teacher brought my son to the office and the nurse did what was supposed to do she called 911 and they brought my son to the hospital and and the school called my mom since I was already in the hospital so my mom went to the hospital to meet my son and they had taken some blood from my son and by the ti me the crisis counselor got there he was all happy and giggling so they didn't see a reason for further treatment but I still see the depression in him everyday and I want him put on some kind of antdepressants but I can't find a doctor that takes his insurance!!! plus he is ADD so anyways I think that we as parents have to take care of our kids NO I am not saying that all of the shootings are the parents fault but I'd bet that it would help them!!!! Just a thought!!!!

• nativeshaman
    August 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    Possibly the child was bullied, harassed all last year and nothing was done about it....maybe he felt he simply couldn't go through that again this year....
  • JJDSilva
    August 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    Goid God this is getting out of hand already! In the past 20 years school shootings have increased almost 40%. Thats insane!!!!! I am thinking maybe home schooling is not such a bad deal amyways. Im already a teacher, might as well teach my own kids in the safety of my home. I know, cant keep them in bubbles, neex to expose them but screw it id rather they be safe. My heart goes out to that injured child and the family. So so sad!
  • jillhdz
    by jillhdz
    August 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    There have been more shootings in this country in the past 6 months than everrr. We americans are not safe anywhere... Anytime... Why so many troops over in the middle east? We have enough problems here at home... Our laws need to change and guns shouldnt just go to anybody! I fear for my kids...