Featured Posts
Kageegirl
am I blowing this out of proportion? Eta!
August 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Dh thinks I am blowing this out of proportion. Yesterday I got a facebook message from my future sister-in-law that's states her son's 5th birthday is this Friday and they want to do something for his birthday on Friday. I make sure Friday is open. Tonight I get another text from her stating they switched his party to Thursday night instead of Friday. She'll be sending out invites tomorrow with the finalized details of where and when. Thrusday night my 5 year old son has piano lessons from 5:30pm to 6:15pm. Not to mention they need time to do homeowrk, take their showers, eat dinner and their bedtime is 8pm because they have school earlier the next morning. I was already ticked off because dh sprung on me last minute that he had to work late tomorrow night when he's known for 2 weeks that tomorrow night was back to school parent teacher confreneces at our boys school. I couldn't find anyone to baby sit so it looks like I will be cancelling them. We were supposed to go out of town this weekend on a float trip but dh just sprung on me last night that he has to work out of town that weekend. Looks like we won't be going now. I am ticked off that people can't stick to the plan. Ticked off that my plans keep getting pushed to the side. Ugh! Am I blowing this situation out of proportion?

My mom called me and and asked if I got the info on the party. I said yes and we both agreed that what she did was like, "wtf!" She tried to tell my mom that she really wanted to have her son's party the weekend of his birthday, but his birthday falls on labor day. My brother doesn't get his kids for labor day weekend. They would have done it the following weekend but she didn't have her son for that weekend. The weekend after that she said the were going to plan it for that weekend when they had all the kids but I took that weekend for my son's 2nd birthday (I sent out invites a week ago). Mom asked her why she didn't have it this past weekend and she said they didn't know then whether or not her work would let them use the clubhouse for the party. Mom told her they could have had a little get together at their house or my mom's house, but my sister in law said it wouldn't have been fair since they threw my brother's son 4th birthday party at the clubhouse last month. She said he deserves nothing less. Mom then informed her that she wouldn't be able to stay long because it was a school night. Megan (my aunt 14) doesn't get out of pom practice until 5:30pm, Julia (my niece 11) has drama club after school so she informed her she won't be able to make it there at 6pm that'd it have to be more like 6:30pm. Mom also told her that my son has piano lessons at 5:30 to 6:15pm. That if we showed up it'd be more like 6:30pm. Mom said she sounded very annoyed. She feels that we are all not making time for her son's party because he isn't a biological grandchild. That's what my brother said. What a crock!

Replies

• Luv2BaMommy9809
    August 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM

No, your frustration is understandable..too much going wrong too often as of late...it would get to anybody, honey!  Hang in there!!

• SamKlug
    by SamKlug
    August 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM

You have every right to be as upset as you are.  I would be too.  I think anyone would.  I've had something similar happen with the too much wrong at one time thing.  It's enough to drive even the most sane person insane.  Hang in there sweetie.  I promise things will get better.

• bellawomen
    August 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM
    We have skipped many family dinners because I am firm on my son being in bed at 7 pm every night except rare occasions (Christmas, New Years Eve). I won't screw up his sleep schedule for a dinner that could have been better planned to include everyone.
  • Janet
    by Janet
    August 28, 2012 at 7:58 AM

I feel you! It's gets old after a while don't it?

• jltplk25
    August 28, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    Oh I'd be pissed. I hate when things keep changing, even if I planned something myself.
  • SlapItHigh
    August 28, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I probably wouldn't be ticked off....I just wouldn't be able to go to her son's party b/c of prior commitment.

• delanna6two
    August 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I probably would get frustrated some too....hope things will get better in your schedule...

• Luv.My.Kidz
    August 28, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Nope.... you're not blowing it out of proportion... your kids schooling is more important.... Why would anyone throw a 5 yr old a birthday party on a school night? either it's on a friday night or saturday? ehhh crazy people.

You can't do anything about hubby working late or working this weekend, if he has to, he has to.I understand being frustrated about it... but you could be worse off, not having a hubby with a job.

Sounds like you're just going to either take the kids with you to conferences, find someone else, or reschedule. Sorry. I don't understand the big deal with just taking them with you. I have always taken the kids with me to conferences, my parents used to take me and my brother. After all, they are about the kids. The kids should be there to hear what is being said.

• Kageegirl
    August 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    I am just stressed right now. Dh put in 70 hours last week. I had the boys by myself for 4 days straight. He did make it home at 4:45 yesterday, but turned around and left at 5:30pm to take our son to karate. He didn't get home until 8:35pm. He left me to finish up dinner, clean up from dinner, give boys a bath, entertain boys and put boys to bed. I have one who is in the process of potty training and hitting his terrible two's. Not exactly what I would call the, "fun age." Leaving the house is a pain because he throws a fit if I put him in the cart, he grabs for stuff on shelves and in my cart and is constantly asking to go potty. He also hates sitting in his carseat. Everytime I put him in it he throws a fit for awhile. The fit does not last long but hardly anywhere I go takes long enough to get to for him to get over his fit. It really wears on my patients. This coupled with a child who thinks he knows everything and a child who does everything you tell him not to doesn't help. Dh likes to spring things on me last minute. My schedule is constantly changing. Like this morning he leaves me a note to pick him up some coffee and to run by the bank and deposit his paycheck. Yesterday he called me at 9:45am and asked me if I would run his tool box out to him at the job site 25 minutes away. I was pissed off because I was supposed to meet my mom at 10am to go shopping for my sons birthday and my nephew's birthday. I had to push it off until 11am and that meant my son missing his afternoon nap. Ugh!
  • motherinNH
    August 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    Quoting Kageegirl:

I am just stressed right now. Dh put in 70 hours last week. I had the boys by myself for 4 days straight. He did make it home at 4:45 yesterday, but turned around and left at 5:30pm to take our son to karate. He didn't get home until 8:35pm. He left me to finish up dinner, clean up from dinner, give boys a bath, entertain boys and put boys to bed. I have one who is in the process of potty training and hitting his terrible two's. Not exactly what I would call the, "fun age." Leaving the house is a pain because he throws a fit if I put him in the cart, he grabs for stuff on shelves and in my cart and is constantly asking to go potty. He also hates sitting in his carseat. Everytime I put him in it he throws a fit for awhile. The fit does not last long but hardly anywhere I go takes long enough to get to for him to get over his fit. It really wears on my patients. This coupled with a child who thinks he knows everything and a child who does everything you tell him not to doesn't help. Dh likes to spring things on me last minute. My schedule is constantly changing. Like this morning he leaves me a note to pick him up some coffee and to run by the bank and deposit his paycheck. Yesterday he called me at 9:45am and asked me if I would run his tool box out to him at the job site 25 minutes away. I was pissed off because I was supposed to meet my mom at 10am to go shopping for my sons birthday and my nephew's birthday. I had to push it off until 11am and that meant my son missing his afternoon nap. Ugh!

Tell them NO. I used to be the same way, thinking because I am a SAHM that there is not reason I can not do it all. Tell your SIL sorry, but it is a school night. Tell your husband, that if he wants to do something with family that he has to check with you first to make sure there is nothing else planned. Ask your SIL to take the kids for the parent teacher conference, it does not sound like she has plans on the week nights anyways. Stop saying yes to everyone, it will save your sanity
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts